Reviewing Algae Problems

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mint is invasive, stay away from it. Stay away from anything that spreads, you'll never control it. Ajuga is right up there on the list.

I plant things in my bog that I wouldn't put in my garden - way easier to contain and control in the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
With the removal of the peppermint the pond is officially mint-free. ;) I think I am going to leave the areas where I did have mint growing without replacement plants this year too, just to be able to easily spot and remove any mint regrowth.

BTW spot 6 is water willow, came to me the instant I woke up this morning!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of chemical binders of phosphorous because the phosphorus remains in the pond where it can be released again into the water column.

"Phoslock has a high affinity to rapidly bind and permanently remove free reactive phosphorus (FRP) from the water column shortly after application. As Phoslock settles to the bottom of a waterbody, lanthanum continues to filter phosphorus by binding FRP released from the sediment on its available sites. The phosphorus bond with Phoslock (lanthanum) is permanent."
http://www.sepro.com/phoslock/How-Phoslock-Works.aspx

"The ability of phosphorus to become mobile can be
reduced by binding it to iron, calcium, and aluminum. Once bound, it
cannot be released back into the water column."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...u779O2xNg&sig2=1wC-wkk5Hgg8he_rBwoVkg&cad=rja

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm sure that I came across a study that said the lanthanum/phosphate bond would break as it passed through the fish gut.
I'll try to find it again.

Ask a Question