Share Spring Photos Here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here are some garden pictures. This year I am spending most of my time trying to finally get the garden in shape. It has been quite a mess and now that the rest of the yard is pretty self sustaining I am focusing my efforts back there.

This is the main irrigation ditch along our back property line. We have battled weeds back there for years so this year I planted so low maintenance fairly invasive plants hoping they will choke out the weeds.

I put creeping jenny closest to the bottom of the ditch since it is filled with water from May through October. and on the front of the berm (the dry side) I planted some ground cover.

On the front there is wooly thyme, red sedum, and hens and chicks.
On the left side of the ditch I have asparagus and creeping jenny
On the right side I planted russian sage, jupiters beard, hyssop and some day lilies on the ends, with creeping jenny along the water line.

DSCN3612_zpsf12dfc87.jpg

And here is a shot of the rest of the garden. So far I have a pear tree, nectarine tree, garlic, green onions, raspberries, strawberries, red onions and then on the annual side I have planted spinach, broccoli cauliflower, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, and potatoes. After the 1st of May I will add tomatoes, various peppers, cantaloupe, cucumbers, and squash.

DSCN3587_zps6cb3c2c6.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
JW, absolutely lovely flowers! Can you remind me what the plant is in the last pic, bottom right (not the creeping jenny, the other one with 2 kind of swordlike leaves)? I think I got some of those from you and/or Addy, and they are coming up this year. Hoping they bloom this year, last year I don't remember if I saw any blooms, but thinking you said they do bloom for you.
CE those are Iris plants I just stuck in between the rocks. Most are the Yellow Flag Iris but some I got from addy that will be a dark purple I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I agree with T'Mann, that's a fabulous set up you have, and wow is it SET UP! You will have to post pics when all those lovely plants grow and spread. I hope they do the trick for you and choke out the weeds as planned. I must direct my daughter to this page and your pics (she lives in UT - Price area). She needs pointers for her garden, no irrigation, just her hose. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, no, I know what the iris is. I'm talking about the bottom right, where the 2 large rocks meet, just behind that, there is a plant with 2 leaves that look like spades. I have a bunch of them coming up, want to share some of them, but want to know what their are called and if they are supposed to bloom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh ok you mean the tall Creeping Primrose w/ the little yellow flowers it gets like I sent you. Mine that I sent you start out w/ shorter spade leaves and then as they grow they get more like spears. You sent me the short Creeping Primrose otherwise known as Ludwigia and don't think that one gets flowers right at least it didn't here.
Here is a photo of mine in bloom:

jvn25-1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, I know for a fact I didn't have any yellow flowers like that last year. Here is a close up of what I have that I'm not sure what it is.
Not sure name.JPG
What I sent to you was from my farm pond, and I think you correctly identififed it as Ludwigia. I get confused on the creeping primrose and jenny! Guess we both know what the jenny is, what a wonderful plant, so bright green and spreading. I have to make sure to have tall plants around it, or it seems to drown out anything smaller. Need to move a couple of low sedums which are getting covered over with creeping jenny.
So, if you can tell me this plant will get that beautiful flower in time, and if it just grows tall like the pic, and spreads I assume underwater by roots, then I will know what to call it. Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes that is the taller creeping primrose w/ the yellow flowers. The leaves change and get more spear like especially the ones in the rocks. The stuff creeped out of my pond too and grew in the dirt so maybe it is more of a bog type plant. I know it can really go crazy and had to thin mine out a bunch one year. Mine did not get flowers the first year and seems as tho the ones tucked in between the rocks flowered more than the ones right in the pond floating. So maybe it depends on the water level if it gets flowers or not? Yes it spreads by underwater connecting roots w/ lots of sprawling over the top of the pond. So thin out before it takes over. I just allow a few now to grow otherwise can become a bully!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks so much for posting the pic. Doc. It's really pretty for sure, but I'm more for longer lasting blooms, at last on some plants.
Spotted these dwarf irises blooming this evening. They are on the south end of my house, which is the side I don't see very much, unless I mow. Need to move them where they will be enjoyed more. Kind of sad I have south facing side of my house that doesn't get viewed much. Need to figure out a way to make me wander that way more often, although now that the irises are blooming, I'll be checking it often.
Dwarf yellow irises.JPGRed tulips behind dwarf irises.JPG
Saved these grape hyacinths from in the grass couple of years ago. Tonight, while mowing, I spotted a few more in other places on the edge of the field or edge of the garden, so will "save" those tomorrow!
Grape Hyacinths.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I snapped a few photos this morning on my walk around the yard before the latest work crew comes in. Lots of colors from dogwoods, azaelias, vinca, lilac and phlox and lots of pollen-

Attachments

• house remodel 005.JPG
    house remodel 005.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 182
  • house remodel 009.JPG
    house remodel 009.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 222
  • house remodel 050.JPG
    house remodel 050.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 200
  • house remodel 040.JPG
    house remodel 040.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 183
  • house remodel 010.JPG
    house remodel 010.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 211
  • house remodel 033.JPG
    house remodel 033.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 193
  • house remodel 048.JPG
    house remodel 048.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Lovely pics, Mrs. Clem!!! What is the pink flower in the 3rd pic in? It's gorgeous! Looks like possibly a double something or other. Very pretty dogwoods and azaleas photo. Thanks for sharing.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks CE. It's an azalea, one of the ones that the stores sell for Mothers Day. They are not supposed to be hardy in this area but I have several that have made it thru the winters here. Love to shop for discount plants the day after holidays-

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
wow you have lillacs open already! Here things are green from all our rain and sparce on flowers blooming yet...late for us.

Ask a Question