Share Spring Photos Here!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My choke cherrys are just starting to get small leaves!!! They are the first tree to get leaves around here so and I am happy that FINALLY they are popping out!!!

Yellow Flag pond iris is finally growing again.... 10 days ago or so they were coming nice but froze off when we had a cold snap...

Today's pictures from just this morning.... :)

Attachments

• IMAG6820.jpg
    IMAG6820.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG6819.jpg
    IMAG6819.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 217
  • IMAG6828.jpg
    IMAG6828.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG6811.jpg
    IMAG6811.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG6810.jpg
    IMAG6810.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMAG6807.jpg
    IMAG6807.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG6802.jpg
    IMAG6802.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG6817.jpg
    IMAG6817.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's one very fat mama orange fish you have there. And, wow, that's a really fancy floating goose or duck, Colleen!!! That reminded me that this afternoon, neighbor and I were driving just past my house, on road just across from my farm pond, when a water bird flew up from the neighbor's ditch! I'm pretty sure it was a small heron of some type, it was brown and white kind of blotchy looking. We both thought it was a duck at first, but both of us saw the long beak, so it was no duck. It went to my farm pond and landed in the cattails. It was cool to see ... long as it doesn't visit my koi and goldfish ponds in my back yard! I just looked it up, and it could possibly have been an American Bittern.
American Bittern.jpg
It shows migration area is IL, so maybe it's just passing through.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks CE, I just got these new ducks at this greenhouse for only 8 dollars and the detail is just great! I just love the floating ducks.... the only kind I can have as live ducks would sure make one big mess!!

Nice picture of that big bird, never seen those around here ....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think addy might have had one of those Bittern birds at her pond once. Don't think they are very big are they CE?

Colleen I thought hunters used those decoy ducks to attract ducks to an area? That's why I didn't get any cuz I thought I might me asking for trouble. Guess none come to your pond tho but then maybe your dogs scare them away. Might have to get me a duck or two if I find a good price on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, $8??? That's unbelievable, as they look real. I agree with JW, be careful that you don't bring in ducks to your pond, but if you don't usually have ducks in your area, you should be ok.
I think Addy had a green heron, which is quite a bit smaller than the blues. Or, maybe she did have a bittern sneaking under the wire. She'll have to remind us. Yes, it is about the size of a duck, both of us thought it was a duck until we saw the bill and the long legs. Wonder what he was hunting for in the neighbor's ditch? That's where the snapping turtle goes to lay her eggs, and there are usually lots of frogs there, too. The neighbor's septic empties into the ditch, and their ditch doesn't drain right, so it's often green algae covered water. Yuck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a green heron, (thought it was a bittern but not) The green heron has a dark cap, deeper colors. The bittern more mottled browns, creams, whites

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah ok got it addy and CE different birds then. CE their septic enters the ditch or their gray water from the sink and laundry enters the ditch? Yikes if the septic/sewer runs into the ditch I don't think that's legal but if it's a cess pool that's not as bad!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, sweet pics, EH!!! Love those robins, they sing so sweetly this time of year.
JW, we have septic systems out here. Sewage goes into septic tank, then you have to have a sand filter or some type of filtering system for the overflow water. That's what runs into the ditch. Mine just drains out and seeps into the ground, I don't think there is a pipe that runs to the back ditch, or at least I've never found it. They usually use perforated pipe, so the water seeps out if it can. Our water table is so high right now, nothing can seep into the ground, it comes to the surface.
I was spraying the rest of my yard with Weed B Gone, and got bit several times by mosquitos! I'm sure glad the barn swallows are there. They will keep the mosquito population down quite a lot. I hate those suckers. True sign of spring ....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cute birdies EH! I always hope tho that they don't make nests on our property as I worry the cats will get the babies.

Ok CE guess it is done different there as we can't have any water seeping up overflowing even if filtered that I know of. All has to stay underground here. We even have to have French drains for any water run off from our buildings now if new construction.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our back field is our septic field, never see any excess moisture build up, the lines all have to be underground here. But the grass back there is beautiful!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well I was out packing up all that wood we cut last winter into the pickup truck while my hubby split it up w/ the log splitter. We shall be fully involved w/ this project for several days. Tomorrow we stack what we brought home and on and on it goes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm back, had some beautiful days this week until this evening. Time to head to bed with a good book! Raining and going to get chilly again. Ho hum ... can't complain, though, as only supposed to get down to 50's for lows the next 5 days. Not bad at all. Keep that algae at bay, and the lilies will grow well in the cooler temps even.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well I can't believe it! Starting to finally feel like spring is here in Canada!! Two days ago I was depressed, not much sun, no fun, ice cold and well below freezing, just two nights ago! There was so much ice on my truck Tuesday morning, and I thought for sure spring had forsaken me!!

Today was a different story, fish were swimming up a storm and demanding dog food!! They even threaten to bite off my fingers if food was not delivered soon! AND then, they highjacked my tablet and claimed they were starved and reported me on the Good Banter thread this afternoon!!! THE NERVE!!! Those fish FORCED me to feed them, even though the water was still cool!!

Now they are still swimiming all around the pond and even feeling Frisky tonight!! I saw them chasing the females, begging for love, even with me watching, NO Shame!!

I am starting to wonder what is in the dog food supply, they just can't be this lively, with the water still barely 50 degrees!!!

Clearly the new big pump must go, it is making the water too oxygen rich and it has gone to their heads!!

AND Poor PoPPy! There she is, last picture, desperating trying to hide the last of her dog food, she said the fish were eating ALL her food again!!!

Attachments

• IMAG7366.jpg
    IMAG7366.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG7361.jpg
    IMAG7361.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG7359.jpg
    IMAG7359.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG7353.jpg
    IMAG7353.jpg