sick koi?

Reaction score
Here is a pic of Goldie. I noticed today what appears to be a shallow depression above one of his eyes. It is not waxy as far as I can tell and it does not look infected. Any ideas? I have never seen it before.
He is still very active and none of the other fish have the same thing.
Water tests fine and no new fish have been added for about 3 months.

Attachments

• P1010023-1.jpg
    P1010023-1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 252
  • P1010024-1.jpg
    P1010024-1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 247
  • P1010025-1.jpg
    P1010025-1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
hmmm....it does appear caved in. Do you think he could have perhaps bumped into something in the pond? Not sure what kind or equipment you have IN the pond... Or maybe an attack by a bird or some other predator that tried to grab it?

Reaction score
I do have some flat rocks in there and they are not smooth, maybe that could cause it. No other fish has ever done that before.
I did see another goldfish spawning a few days ago, maybe he hurt himself that way.
I have a net covering the whole pond so I know it is not a predator.
I just want to make sure it is not a disease.
Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
rocks in a pond are a no no. Get 'em out of there if you can as not only does it make cleaning difficult and a storage zone for decayed foods and poop, but a fish can absolutely hurt themselves. If your fish were spawning, that can be a pretty rambuncious activity, and thrashing is the norm. (Are you sure you saw spawning? It is a tad late in the season particularly where you are from. Not impossible tho, I guess).

The only other thing I can think of is hole-in-the-head disease as another possibility. It's definitely not common in pond fish (you see it more in indoor tanks), and it's probably unlikely this is what it is. H-i-H is caused by poor water quality.

Given that you are not sure if the fish has been hurt or if it's a parasitic disease such as H-I-H, I would personally treat the pond if it were my fish. Not sure if you have the ability to put the fish in a hospital tank, and if you don't I would feed a food like this one. as a precaution. I use this food a couple of times of year as a preventative even tho my fish don't show any symptoms of anything.

Reaction score
I used to have rocks on the bottom but now I only have 2 large flat rocks for them to hide under. They sit high enough that I can clean under them.
I was amazed when I saw spawning. It is very late in the season for me but they were certainly making a mess of those hyacinths. I am sure it was spawning but I only saw 2 fish getting in on the action and Goldie wasn't one of them.
I think I will get some medicated food and put him in a hospital tank with a salt bath. Hopefully it will get better.
Thanks

Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
I used to have rocks on the bottom but now I only have 2 large flat rocks for them to hide under. They sit high enough that I can clean under them.
I was amazed when I saw spawning. It is very late in the season for me but they were certainly making a mess of those hyacinths. I am sure it was spawning but I only saw 2 fish getting in on the action and Goldie wasn't one of them.
I think I will get some medicated food and put him in a hospital tank with a salt bath. Hopefully it will get better.
Thanks

I think that's the best idea. A head indent like that will take a very long time to get better...many months...IF if ever goes back, But I would also get those rocks out of there just in case that was what he bumped into. Fish are fast moving creatures and get spooked easily. And when they dart around, they can crash into things without meaning to and get hurt. A really hard smack into something like a rock can certainly kill a fish.

Good luck!

Ask a Question