Simple Bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
The recommended is 15% of the ponds surface unless you have a large volume in deep . Or 20 % to 30% for swim ponds
So technically I have enough bog power to swim in my little pond? If only that wouldn’t result in displacing like 25% of the water :))

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm still trying to build my bog, and have made some progress, but have some leakage.
-Built a manifold and attached tubing. Need larger pump.
-I used concrete blocks for three sides of the bog, then tried using dirt to build up the side that faces the waterfall.
-I ran out of EPDM liner and used some scrap PVC liners instead. This is likely the issue, but I'm not seeing where the bog is leaking. I'll attach a photo tonight, but I guess I'm unclear on how high to build the soil up and how to form the waterfall spill.
-Probably due to water leaking, my pond plants in the bog are getting dried out.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You want the sides of the bog at least 6” above the water level in the bog, more is better to allow for settling overtime, also don’t cut the liner for the same reason.

Not sure what you mean by you used scraps of pvc liner to extend the epdm liner, you ran out of? That is going to be a leak point as it is very hard to get two different materials to bond together to create a leak proof bond. The only way overlapping liners won’t leak is if one Pool of water is well above the other and the upper liner is overlapped into the lower one by a foot or more to prevent wicking. As you mentioned pics will definitely help us identify the leaking areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You want the sides of the bog at least 6” above the water level in the bog, more is better to allow for settling overtime, also don’t cut the liner for the same reason.

Not sure what you mean by you used scraps of pvc liner to extend the epdm liner, you ran out of? That is going to be a leak point as it is very hard to get two different materials to bond together to create a leak proof bond. The only way overlapping liners won’t leak is if one Pool of water is well above the other and the upper liner is overlapped into the lower one by a foot or more to prevent wicking. As you mentioned pics will definitely help us identify the leaking areas.
All good advice by @Jhn

Did you take any photos during construction to help us understand how you used the "scraps" of PVC liner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just be sure to check and double-check with dry fits before gluing.
Taking a marker and putting a line across the fitting to the pipe is a easy way to glue everything correctly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's what I have for the bog. The manifold was glued and works, it's the big itself that is leaking. I just don't have the money/time to buy another piece of epdm.

Attachments

• PXL_20220707_124724321.jpg
    PXL_20220707_124724321.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220707_124731138.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220707_124731138.MP.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Decided that (duh) I need to tear apart the bog, take out the sh*t liner, but the bloody EPDM and get on with it. :) Going to do that this weekend, as well as building up the edge that will feed the waterfall with paving stones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Decided that (duh) I need to tear apart the bog, take out the sh*t liner, but the bloody EPDM and get on with it. :) Going to do that this weekend, as well as building up the edge that will feed the waterfall with paving stones.

Good call. I really don’t understand What you meant when you said you were using scraps of pvc liner, but I’d you were trying to seam a bunch of PVC scraps together to create one liner, I can definitely see how that would leak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good call. I really don’t understand What you meant when you said you were using scraps of pvc liner, but I’d you were trying to seam a bunch of PVC scraps together to create one liner, I can definitely see how that would leak.
No, it was even dumber. I was using scrap EPDM pieces underneath a PVC tarp. I know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually pull a Bam- bam and destroy three items next to the one thing I'm trying to fix. So much for boo boo

Ask a Question