SKIPPY FILTER QUESTIONS

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
simply put..TO MY KNOWLEDGE..theres no biofilter that gets rid of green water. green water is an alge. algeas are plants. the final product of any biofilter is nitrates. nitrates are plant food. its not likely that giving a plant plant food is gonna get rid of it.. a u.v will clear green water.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
simply put..TO MY KNOWLEDGE..theres no biofilter that gets rid of green water. green water is an alge. algeas are plants. the final product of any biofilter is nitrates. nitrates are plant food. its not likely that giving a plant plant food is gonna get rid of it.. a u.v will clear green water.

This is totally in agreement to what I surmised regarding the cause, but Koiguy, I disagree with you on the UV method of irradication. I beleive it may work to some extent, but the underlying cause for the algae growth is still present, so the algae will continue, even though you are killing some of it off with the UV. Tee needs to determine what is causing the algae to grow and attack that as well, otherwise it will just be a never ending battle to kill off the new algae that keeps reproducing. Maybe if you cycle enough of the pond water through the UV clarifier, all the algae would be killed off eventually, but that might take a long time and then it probably will come right back if you turn the UV off. Basically, there is something about the pond chemistry that is promoting algae growth and until that is corrected, it will always be a constant battle to remove this algae.

Catfishnut

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
WB, wherefore art thou?

What's causing the green water is algae and what's causing them is nitrates. Feed your fish less and there will be less nitrates. The string algae is good stuff. The string algae is the physical manifestation of organic fish waste products. Just remove them from your pond. I love see string algae in my pond. They're easy to remove and when I've removed them I know that I've just removed organic stuff from my pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
every year i intentionally let my pond green up.... runmy U.V for about 10 days...the pond clears in 3 or 4 days...i run it for an extra week. then i disconnect it. clean it and put it away. the rest of the season i have crystal clear water. a U.V should be 100% effective at getting rid of green water. but a U.V must be installed correctly and be of adequate size for your water volume. once your plants have taken off there shouldnt be an issue.

Ask a Question