Slow Leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I think I have a sloooow leak, any tricks for finding the source? Dropped a picture just to show you the patien.
755764B9-6D20-4181-A435-EE50B40C8F83.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I have a sloooow leak, any tricks for finding the source? Dropped a picture just to show you the patien. View attachment 156099
One thing to do is try turning off the waterfall and see if the water in the pond still goes down. If not then you know it's the falls or tubing to the falls etc.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pretty pond.
How slow of a leak? Could it be from evaporation? Do you see any areas around the pond where the ground is damp?
One thing I did to look for my leak, was to remove each rock to see if the liner had settled below the water line. Also look for folds in the liner where the water could wick out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like you don't have much vertical height for the liner at the top of the falls. That would be one of the first places I would check. I know my pond currently has this issue which I will have to address this year when the weather warms up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The above is where to start shut down the falls and see if the water drops in time. make sure you watch or provide oxygen for the fish.

You have some large boulders that appear to be sitting on smaller rocks this could result in settling, and lowering an edge. The large brown boulder on the left side of the falls where it meets the upper falls is one such spot I'd be suspicious of it looks like its edge"the boulder" comes down to the waters edge.

another thing to look for is a soft spot

You appear to have a decent wall on the left side to catch the splash from the falls is the right side the same . is there liner under the rocks on the right that is one piece with the pond and falls?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The above is where to start shut down the falls and see if the water drops in time. make sure you watch or provide oxygen for the fish.

You have some large boulders that appear to be sitting on smaller rocks this could result in settling, and lowering an edge. The large brown boulder on the left side of the falls where it meets the upper falls is one such spot I'd be suspicious of it looks like its edge"the boulder" comes down to the waters edge.

another thing to look for is a soft spot

You appear to have a decent wall on the left side to catch the splash from the falls is the right side the same . is there liner under the rocks on the right that is one piece with the pond and falls?
I’m currently going with the turn off the waterfall method, I don’t have any moist areas around the pond, I have an aerator that I can run to keep the water oxygenated. I define “a slow leak” as about 1.5” inches in a week. The pond is about 10 years old and I feel its losing more water than normal evaporation and there is a liner all the way up the waterfall on both sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
waterfalls are usually the culprit

Ask a Question