So let's talk about (and see) leaf nets...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I know what your saying...I see leaves falling already here in Pennsylvania. It's kind of depressing....
I'm gonna try to describe what I do. My pond is about 20 x 10 feet.
I use the poly netting and made a frame out of 3/4" PVC plumbing pipe. I have one main PVC for the length and 3 cross pieces for the width. The cross pieces connect to the main piece with PVC 4 sided connectors. I use those orange fiberglass driveway markers stuck in the ground to hold the ends of each pipe stationary. They are in a position such that all the pipes are arched or bowed up. I ty-wrap the netting to the pipes before placing the whole contraption over the pond. I leave this on from fall to spring. A couple of times it has caved in from very heavy wet snow, but surprisingly bounces back up on its own after the snow melts.
I don't glue the pipes to the connectors so it can be dismantled. I do use those short self tapping zippie screws to keep it all together.
I might give this a try. but thinking i may need a center support. I can stake it on one side but the berm side is rock so i need to think this through. Thanks much for the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
@snoozer you a have fabulous pond, love the willow behind it.
Thank you. The willow is gone now. Storms were snapping 10-12 inch limbs off of it. The never fell in the yard, just the road and trying to get them dragged off the road and into the ditch was more than i could do myself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I might give this a try. but thinking i may need a center support. I can stake it on one side but the berm side is rock so i need to think this through. Thanks much for the idea.
Our pond edges and berm are similar, so by stringing the clothes line well beyond the edges I was able to avoid staking into rocky areas or plantings.

After all the leaves are off the trees I'll probably remove the net for winter. But, even if I decide to leave it up through spring, we're in an area of practically zero snow load, so I think we'll be okay with just the one cross support. I suppose folks with larger ponds and different situations could add more cross lines in whatever configuration best suits their needs.

So far I'm pleased with the set up and have had no issues with bird or wildlife entanglement. Last spring I had used a pre-made frame/net over our little pond, where most all edges were in direct contact with the ground, and we had chipmunks getting stuck in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just as a mention about my PVC frame and net... after heavy snow storms, the whole frame sometimes will collapse with the weight. But fear not, it has always bounced right back up once the weight diminishes. I saw that happen quite a few times and no damage was ever done to the PVC frame.

Ask a Question