Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
BECKY -- Great forum!

One suggestion that I know would at least be helpful to us who are newer to ponding would be a general "data base" of information on ponding. Something you could quickly access [in-forum] that would help you understand a phrase, word, or term being used by a poster. Like the "appendix" in a book. I find the "pinned" threads in the various topics to be helpful as a reference, but having an in-forum resource would be nice. Not talking about anything detailed -- just a brief reference [see my examples below]. This reference could possibly list links for further information. And IMHO, I think this info should be "read only," and not topics for discussion -- just a reference.

For example: TERMINOLOGY listing & briefly* explaining common terms used in ponding -- *and by briefly, I mean in just a few words, not a dissertation; FISH AILMENTS/THINGS YOU MIGHT RUN ACROSS with a description of each of the more common ones. For example, I've been reading about peoples' fish "flashing....." Never got around to posting to ask what this was [I know now -- came across it on another site somewhere], but wondered every time I read it. Nothing detailed, just WHAT it is, how you'd recognize it -- wouldn't even have to go into treatment or anything. Under any of these informational topics [TERMINOLOGY, FISH AILMENTS, ETC.], each one could "rate" the term or condition as to whether it was a normal occurance (as in, do nothing), or abnormal (as in, seek help), with links for more information.

The "search" function isn't at all good for looking up these kinds of things. Sometimes all I want to know is "what are they talking about?" so I can get back to reading the thread.

Some quicky examples I thought of:

FLASHING: [describe behavior] Usually an indication of a problem with the fish or the environment. Abnormal. SEE: WATER TESTING, etc. etc.

SKIPPY: a type of DIY biological filter

BIOLOGICAL FILTER: a process where naturally occuring microbes reduce harmfull subtances in the water. Also, a filter designed for this purpose.

ALGAE: [description] Normal occurance.

CYCLING: the process a new pond goes through, etc, etc. Ususally takes X # of weeks. SEE: NITROGEN CYCLE.

NITROGEN CYCLE: [brief as in ammonia to nitrite to nitrate] SEE: list a few threads or external links that go into more detail.

WINTERIZING: getting your pond prepared for colder weather. SEE: list some links such as "fish care," "plant care"

DOC'S: disolved organic compounds

ETC., ETC.

Sorry this is so long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Update!

The Member Map has now been added, the link is in a topic pinned within the News & Announcements forum section.

We have also added a forum section called 'Vendor Evaluations', so please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on vendors there.

Mmathis - thank you so much for your suggestions! We would very much like to add a glossary of terms, but it will take time. We'll keep you posted :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is not an app for Garden Pond Forum, but if you log in through your mobile browser you will be taken to a mobile version of the site - hope this helps! This is something that will be significantly improved over the next couple of months, so watch this space :)

Ask a Question