SOS... wet snow...trees down...pond buried...powers out for 9 days!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We got 3" of rain the last two days, it was in the 50's but is going to get down into the teens by friday night so I think it will be time to shut the pond down for the winter. Shouldn't take me that long, just hope I can get all the water out of one of my lines. I have ball valve to drain the low spot but the drain sits below ground and it takes forever for the ground around the drain to actually drain.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I put a pump in my filter to pump it out is easier than opening a valve for me

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It isn't the filter that is the problem, those drain just fine. It is the line that feeds my two creeks.. :sad:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How else can you make them drain ,suck the water out with a shop vac maybe .You got a lot of rain and all we got here was misty rain .The storm sort of side tracked us .A water pump maybe with it sucking the water out similar to what a sump pump does .Can't think of anything else

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled our pump, but still need to put a leaf filled black bag over the pieces of line that are sitting out in the open, can't drain them as one is for the bog, which I keep wet. The other is from the skimmer. One was exposed last year and nothing happened to the pipes, open to the air, so the ice can expand up. The skimmer line we did not have primed last year, so not sure how it will handle the cold this year.

Put a plastic bag stuffed with bubble wrap into the skimmer to displace the water, a little water remains, but if it freezes it can't expand enough to break the skimmer. So think maybe ready for winter lol

55 right now and raining, by this evening it will be 40 tonight 30 dropping fast lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well it seems like most of the rain is on the other side of us and all we are getting is misty rain and woke up to 65 degrees already and it got up to 68 yesterday and temps did not go down supposed to go down to higher 40s by saturday .I guess so far this has been a regular winter for us here .Scare me that my pond filters are still running and I'm not sure if thats a good thing .I got my lawn food down yesterday and seeded my lawn .I got this hounddog grass seed from tractor supply and gosh is that grass seed a strong grower.It comes up thick also .Not cheap seed but sure holds up well after all the drought we had this summer .I only used it on my front yard last year and now I am doing the rest of the property .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to look up the grass sissy, we have some grass and weeds, the summers have been hard on the grass. It would be great to get some grass growing that could handle the droughts, and tough.

It has been raining here all day, off and on, more on than off. Temp holding at 53 but tonight dropping to 30, we are in the predicted snow belt, so most likely will get some. They are saying the storm is fast moving so might not drop much.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They say this grass seed is as tuff as a hound dog and I believe it .It is not cheap but what seed is .The only place I can find it is at tractor supple and great when I went there they had the big bags of fertilizer clearanced out for 7 dollars a bag .I have been slowly adding this seed in and it holds up better than any seed I have ever gotten

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our best grass is over the septic field, out in the back field, that stuff is lush and green...........

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine too grass is green and lush over the septic tank and in the drain field area's

Ask a Question