Starting a new 250 litre

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Can you use some of your grandmother's filter media?
A chunk of established foam or a few bio balls, etc. And place them in your new filter.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Ya I could do that if it would help its running three days now with her water and stream water all seems to be going grand

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Its dimensions are 150cm x 100 x 50cm thats approx 5' x 3'3" x 20" deep can anyone tell me how many gallons are in it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Its built and cycling at the moment got water from another pond 1/4 filled it then filled the rest with fast flowing water from a stream, buying two fantails that are already housed outdoors so will be no major shock to them

Sorry, but a pond will not cycle without fish or some other source of Ammonia. Any nitrifying bacteria that may have been in the other pond water has ceased growth. Your pond has gone through Zero cycling.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am doing a fishless cycle and it's painfully slow; likely faster than a fish-in cycle but once you start you are committed for at least a month or longer. I am not sure if any fancy goldfish are recommended for a new pond or tank cycle but on the other hand you don't want to get a different type just to cycle and then what?
I've had 3 comet body goldfish, started with 5, 2 lost to predator, had babies and both that grew to adulthood were lost to disease. I cycled my 60 gallon with the initial 5 and they did okay through it; I won't say great because they kept jumping out at every opportunity and I don't know why they did this.
I think you'd be okay (for a few years) with 3 comets or shubunkins, single tailed, or any combination of them but eventually they would outgrow the pond. The good news is you can start planning years in advance on needing it.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I can't imagine why it would take this long to do a fishless cycle with the current temperatures. I would expect maybe 4 weeks.....MAX!
The ammonia was added on 9/16, nitrite was detected on 9/29 at .5 in the am. and then between .1 to .5 by the pm. Figure 2 weeks from 9/29 I hopefully see nitrite at 0.

Since I have such a small fish load when done I've just been dosing at .75 ammonia a day once the ammonia hit 0 and keeps showing 0 tested every 12 hours.

I test and dose ammonia in the am and pm, whatever I've dosed does not register on the next test for ammonia.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Of course you can do a fishless cycle I have done a fishless cycle for all my tanks, I have swamped about 5 bioballs with my grans filter and have been adding fish flakes everyday but I will now do it every second day.
so it will definitely increase cycling rate no fish will be added till the levels are consistant

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Will be uploading progress photos only two I have on my laptop atm

Attachments

• IMG_0350[1].JPG
    IMG_0350[1].JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0352[1].JPG
    IMG_0352[1].JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
If you live near Dublin, check out seahorseaquariums. Best store i came across for fish and supplies.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I think I have all the supplies I need I have a pump and filter with a uv light which has a fountain on it but I am a fan of waterfalls so the back of the pond I am going to add a small waterfall which will trickle into the pond. I have 5 plants which I think is loads for such a small pond. I have added tap safe even though no tap water was used to be on the safe side. Filter start was added to the filter I am using along with bio balls from my grans established pond. The water went green for 2 days but it is going back clear again.

Ask a Question