Starting Your Ponds Back Up Yet?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
After a record cold and record snow fall winter we finally started warming. It has been between the mid 40's and high 50's for the last week. The feet of snow in the yard have finally melted off and as of last Sunday the pond was completely thawed.

I am thinking about starting her back up here in a couple weeks and am very excited to do so :)

Anyone else starting your ponds up yet?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started up one of ours today to try to clear the green water. Have to wait on the other as we are moving the stock tank filters. It was good to see my fishies-

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to, but waiting for march madness ie snow to pass, 15 inches or so tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
um...no....I wish.

2013-03-05 18.20.16.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
mrsclem said:
I started up one of ours today to try to clear the green water. Have to wait on the other as we are moving the stock tank filters. It was good to see my fishies-
I noticed it has only been a week since all the ice has thawed and in just this week it is getting greener by the day. I think it really needs some water movement.

If the weather sticks this weekend I might start her up on Saturday. I am not really worried about snow since even big storms melt off fast and we don't get ice build up after March.

I did just get out there tonight and add an extension onto the pond :LOL: . I call it an extension but really it is about 12" L x 6" W x 6" D off the main falls with a slightly low spot for water to run in from the pool above the falls and a spot for the water to drop into the pond. Just enough room for one plant to be put in it with pea gravel.

I have learned over the few years I have ponding that my favorite plants are the bog plants I can plant around my pond. I don't have to water or fertilize them! Now if I could line my whole yard and pump water from one end to the other I would be set. :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will be hauling my pump out this weekend, we are heading back up to 53 and sunny saturday. 43 friday. This beautiful snow event will be over and melted.

Reaction score
Our pond was never shut down... it has been frozen solid (less little spots at the water falls) three times this winter and all is well... Or almost... I THINK we may be missing most of our Shubunkins in the upper pond... I dont know if they are hiding well, or if something made a snack of them:-( I found one out of the pond with a nasty mark (claw?) but dont know why whatever critter didnt finish him (maybe the dog scared it off)...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds like our raccoons! They'll pull fish out of a pond, bite their heads off, and just leave them there. I've also had them turn a pond full of water hyacinths into a WH smoothie; every plant looked like it had been put through a blender, but very little was actually eaten. Destructive little buggers!! :grumble:
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never had an issue with the raccoons, see their prints in the pond off and on (the walk out area) never see partially eaten fish. The heron totally different story, constant battle

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only thing raccoons bothered here was my Taro plants in a container tub. Laid down little boards w/ staples sticking upwards and they didn't come back again.

Ask a Question