Starting Your Ponds Back Up Yet?

Reaction score
We didnt find any tracks, so cant say if it was mammal or bird... it had a single nasty vertical "slice" on one side, and other wise, no other marks and was intact and was just laying about a foot away from the pond... close enough it would be possible to jump out of the water, but nothing in or near the pond to cause the slice... We SHOULD still have 7 other shubbies out there, all in the 8-10" range... time will tell... as far as I can see, it looks like all the comets are still in there, but they are a lot smarter than the shubs... all the koi are in the main pond (deeper) and look accounted for... dont think any are missing...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got my pond up and running today, took about 15 minutes...........had to find the parts lol There is still snow in the bog, but it is melting fast we are up to 44 now.

Bog water crystal clear, no smell, it has been sitting since around the first of november.

DSC05346.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cape maybe what ever tried to get it got scared off and couldn't finish doing the deed. Sorry you lost the one and hope no more get hurt or killed.
Keep a sharp eye out and hope you can figure out what's trying to get them.

Yay addy up and running again!

Reaction score
Thanks JW... Just the circle of life I guess... I of course wonder if it would have had a better chance if it was in deeper water... Hubby wanted to keep the koi seperate, but I miss seeing the different species mixed together... will see what spring brings... he is supposed to be adding another pond this spring, so the bog can be a BOG... So one way or another, who ever is left in the upper pond (BOG) will get moved to deeper water in a few more months... Meanwhile, I kept about 15 shubby babies inside for the winter, so definately still have some...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep its just hard when that circle hits home! I like your idea of deeper water. Think it does give the fish a better chance to run and hide from just about anything. Glad you have the shubby babies inside and soon you can put them out if Spring arrives on time. Was rainy and gloomy all day here and then the rains quit but was still gray. Now when it's almost sundown here the sun decided to come out! Silly sun!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I plan on starting my back up on saturday and it really can't come soon enough. The water has really gotten cloudy the last week or so, hard to see the bottom right now. Was clear all winter until a week or so. I have to clean out my creeks as they have a bunch of debris that has blown in there over the winter and this takes some time.

Reaction score
The problem with the upper pond is it was dug to be a bog... Most of it is 2' deep (then to 2.5 or 3' in one area - dont remember LOL), and the 6, 5 gal pots in the middle probably make a nice place to STAND ... The KOI only pond is 4-5' deep. no shelves either and steep sides... So pretty unfriendly to anything that visits... Like the title of this thread tho, I cant wait til everything is going again... ours runs 24/7 but so want to see GREEN around the pond. Have had a couple of short treats of the KOI swimming about, but today was nasty, with more to come (wind and sleet),and back to the bottom they went...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With my external pump, large bog and the water fall just don't trust it to survive a power outage (the pump would freeze and crack) The water fall, if it started to freeze up would empty the pond quickly. Super chilled water too running across all that bog surface area on its way to the pond. So off it goes then back on for the summer. Not hard to do, just a nut driver unplug and pull.

Reaction score
I was a bit worried with the three water fall areas, but in our case, it was nothing to worry about. I actually enjoyed the short periods when they froze, and watching the water make its path just the same. No matter the time of year, it's always a risk a pump could go down (ours is external also), but I just dont worry about it. Power outages havent been an issue for us. Havent needed them for more than an hour or two here or there (since Bob in 1991), but have two generators if ever needed. Hubby always fires them up a day or two before a storm is due, makes sure all is well, with filled fuel cans ready... the fuel always ends up in my truck after the storm has passed:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This was my second winter, first with both ponds. I took Colleen's advise from Canada, and did my best to keep all pumps up and running. For some reason, my stream ran all but maybe a few days, it is fed from skimmer in goldfish pond, and if the ice was too thick, the skimmer pump got no water. Bog on goldfish pond I think never was shut off! Both ponds have been clear of ice for maybe 2 weeks now, or close to it, both crystal clear. Had bad situation last weekend, koi pond pump line pulled apart, and drained the pond down to the depth of the (thankfully) milk crate the 4200 gph pump was attached to. All fish accounted for, just took 2.5 days to fill it back up with well water, which is good as it, no chemicals were needed. And, since the well is 45' deep, water was cold, too. Pumping water into the pool at the bottom of waterfall, not going through Skippy yet, but have had the bog on koi pond running pretty much full-time, too, except for extreme ice times, so maybe a couple of weeks total it was off. I'm sold ... so far anyhow ... on keeping things up and running. I realize beneficial bacteria is not necessarily helping keep things clear, but the water in both ponds is clear to the bottom. I've not messed with trying to net out anything that has accumulated on the bottom over winter. Very little down there, but will wait until water is warmer, and can put in my pond stuff that helps make any muck into a "matt" and then it pulls out in a large blanket, instead of stirring up in the water and causing cloudiness. Last year I had brown murky water for about a month, so I'm anxious to see if it happens again this year, or if I get pea green water, or if it stays clear. The brown was from using too much peroxide in the spring trying to kill the string algae, but won't be doing that again either!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond was a murky greenish color, within 12 hours of turning the pump on the water is crystal clear yippee! Now need to really net the pond since the heron has been doing fly overs.

Reaction score
With our old pond, it was so small, I was afraid to leave the fish out, so it got totally shut down each year. This is the first winter with the bigger pond. Not much muck at all, maybe a handful of leaves, so left them ... pond(s) have stayed crystal clear. Once all the plants died back (or were brought in), we did get some hair algae, but so far, it is just hanging on the creeping primrose vines that I didnt pull out (and some on the parrots feather) ... I am hoping to get plants back in, before it can go crazy ... I also need to find out the names of traditional ornamental grasses that you plant around the yard can go into the water ... I have a spot that had a large area of extra liner, so hubby made me a mini bog/shelf (dont know what to call it) that I could stick plants into ... I want to put grasses there ... it isnt very deep at all, maybe 6" (maybe 10" with lots of rain and near the overflow point) ...

This is when he first dug it for me. A friend gave me a bunch of duck weed ... I thought I would be smart and put a little dam in, and could grow it without the fish eating it all... would have worked great if I didnt over fill the pond LOL ...

pond3_zpse2516854.jpg

a later shot ... lower left of the pic ... you can make out the parrots feather and a few misc plants thrown in ... the dam is gone LOL

DSCN4813.jpg

Last picture ... so from the patio, you would see the future grass after all those water hyacinths, to the left of the golden hinoki cypress...

DSCN4807.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I never shut the big ponds down, just the little one in the front are. All is well in my ponds and fish are doing great, waiting for spring. We had some colder weather the last couple days, so bottom pond has ice again. The other two top ponds the ice melts quick.

Attachments

• IMAG5595.jpg
    IMAG5595.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG5429.jpg
    IMAG5429.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So far I have no string algae on the sides of my ponds like I did last year when it got warm, so am really watching to see how that turns out, since pumps and filters ran most of the winter this time. I know that the plants are not growing in the bogs, thus not really using any extra nutrients, but I figure just the water running through the pea gravel is getting somewhat filtered. Need to relocate the line to the Skippy, so I can get that going and thus the full waterfall running. I'm thinking I won't have any more ice that will amount to anything. Need to get the umbrella palm plant removed before it totally decomposes in the bog and adds bad gunk, but it's been so cold, and I hate cold on my hands. Going to have to get in there and get it out, though. Oh, how we all want to see things greening up and growing now! Spring IS just around the corner!!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, spring is just about here CE, I saw some tulips poking out in the snow today on the south side of the house, As soon as snow is gone AGAIN, I will get the little pond in the front yardup and running. So much to do, so little time ......

Ask a Question