stuck in green stage?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
By the way I have not have pea green water in my ponds for over 20 years and the only time I lost any fish is when a big blue heron came and stole some last year, but I solved that problem by stringing up twine high over the pond from the roof of my house to the trees. that blocked their ability to land there cause they have such a big wing spread and the pieces of cloth that I tied to the twine gently blow in the wind and help scare them off. Did I mention that some of my goldfish are over 20 years old!

Attachments

• IMAG0682.jpg
    IMAG0682.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 238

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I found your pond video and it looks like it's flowing good. Your water is a little green but not to worry, plant some pond sedges and that will help alot. if you lived in Medicine Hat I would give you some cause I always have lots and lots. I also recommend that you have the pond edges slightly higher that the land, that will prevent soil from coming in during a heavy rain. Stream look nice, you can add plants snips, just wedge the roots into the gravel in the stream, most of my pond plants are not planted in pots or dirt, they don't need them, the roots will gather bits of nature pond stuff like leaves and such, and make their own sod! Keep up the good work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@callingcolleen1 -- I think you over-estimate the power of caterpillar dung. For one thing, I do not have the town-swallowing hordes of caterpillars that you apparently have. In nearly 30 years of living in Colorado, I've maybe seen a dozen here in town. To have enough caterpillars here to turn my water a brownish color, I would need to have hundreds, if not thousands of them in my tree. But I do not.

What is really happening is that the dead leave sit in the bottom of the pond through the Winter, and when the water starts to warm up in the Spring, nature begins to do its job of decomposing the dead matter. That is when the tannins are released, giving the water its brownish 'tea' color. During the Winter months, there is a very slow process of decomposition which releases toxins in the water that can be deadly to fish if enough build up. This is one of the reasons why it is important to keep an air-hole through the ice during the Winter -- it not only allows the exchange of oxygen into the water, but also allows other gases to escape from the water.

You keep mentioning how the process of dead leaves and other waste in the water is completely natural; that in nature the fish do not die from all the leaves sitting in the water over the Winter. I would guess you have never been around a body of water that is completely enclosed, filled only by rainwater and snow runoff? You've never smelled the stench of the algae and decomposing plants that died in this water? And you've never noticed that there are no fish alive in these conditions - only a few select species (mostly insects) that can actually survive. You have completely missed an extremely important difference between a natural pond and our little water gardens... A natural pond is continuously being fed new water by a river... This running water carries away much of the dead organic matter, and the motion of the water helps break down that organic matter much faster than if it simply sits in the bottom and rots away. Compare that to our garden ponds, which are completely self-contained. Even with good filtration and continuously running pumps, you are still just circulating the same water through your pond, so any contaminants will continue to build up. During the Winter months, you do not have much of any plant activity to dispose of these contaminants, and there is no fresh water coming in to flush out the pond.

You may have fish that are 20 years old, but based on what you have been saying here, I can only assume that you have a bad misunderstanding of how the natural process works, or you have managed to imply exactly the opposite of what you actually mean. Regardless, simply based on the fact that I scoop the leaves out of my pond in the Fall, and you do not - I would bet on the health of my fish over your's any time. If you want to mimic what nature does, then you have to get rid of the excess decaying organic matter. A little won't hurt, but a lot can kill.

Reaction score
@waterbug - yeah you have to keep it simple when you're explaining things to most people. Go into the technical details and they will glaze over. Tell them something that gets them excited... "Dead leaves kill fish - use this vacuum and your fish will shit out gold bricks in gratitude."
Sometimes I do think it would be easier just to tell whatever myth gets the job done...but I just can bring myself to do it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My guess is that where you live the trees and bugs are vastly different from here in Medicine Hat AB. Canada. If you talk with any person living here that gardens and have cottonwood or elder trees you will find that yes, we have hordes of TENT Caterpiller. They call them Tent cause the make large nest in our trees. Some years they will eat almost every leaf in sight! I will take pictures of the caterpillers and their dung when they show up next month. I also keep my ponds flowing all year round. This stops the water from going stale. Just trying to help, I would like everybody to have and nice pond that's easy care!

Attachments

• IMAG0724.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 243

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No caterpillars here, no algae, no green water. Just one bog and tons of plants. I dislike those tent caterpillars then sure can damage a tree.
But if it works for you that is great

Reaction score
update- today is a rainy day and although the pond is still pea green it looks like the algae on the stream is clumping, i wonder if this is the uv light finally working.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It rained here too, and looks like more is coming any time now.
The clumping of algae could be string or smear algae. Your UV light will not help the smear or string algae. The UV light only kills the pea green water algae that can pass thru the light. Make sure the bulb is not burnt out. I don't use a UV light and never have needed one. I have helped others with their lights years ago, so when it comes to the operation of the UV light, I may not be the best person to ask.
Algae is a simple form of plant life that is fed by light and phosphate, which comes right out of the tap. Phosphate also comes from all types of pond waste. Phosohate also feeds the water plants. If you plant hardy sedges they are best for eating the excess waste.
I used pond bacteria many years ago when I first started the pond, and because my ponds are never taken apart and cleaned (aside from cleaning the filters) the bacteria continues to replenish its self on it own. Large amounts of tree litter (leafs and such) are constantly falling into my pond. This spring I removed very little sludge as it had been eaten all up by the pond bacteria. I'm always amazed that so much can fall in my pond and simply disappear! You can archive this too, but it takes time to age a new pond. If your interested in wintering your pond like I have for 20 years I can help. Pond bacteria is sold almost at any pet store and now I saw that home depot has it too (here in Canada)
String or smear algae may also be known as blanketweed.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
To those who think that I don't know what I'm talking about (caterpiller dung), people once thought that putting barley into the pond was weird too, and now look, they sell it everywhere! I have so many darn trees here that I should start a tree farm. Thank goodness for the caterpillers, otherwise the trees would take over and I would have no sun! Sick of chopping trees down every spring!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love my bog, it takes good care of my pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It sounds like smear algae to me. This can be easy to remove with net. Watch for birds, they like to bath in streams and then leave a turd in the stream. Plants will eat the waste. Plant some plant snips in the stream. Many types of water plants that creep, can be wedged into the rocks without soil. What do you have for plants right now?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
It's not a turd. It's dung. I used to have birds but I have a larger than life catipiller that keeps eating then. It ate my dog last night. I can still hear him bark sometimes.

Ask a Question