Submersible Pump AND Aerator? UPDATE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok so some of you may remember me asking about making an attachment to a submersible water pump for air flow too. I found out they sell the 2-in-1 pumps online for aquariums.

I made my own version for those short on cash and want a fast fix. As a matter of fact this can be done with "Tubing" rather then the pump itself as Ive seen a much larger version done on a sump pump and the owner drilled a hole in the inside pump (in-Flow) housing, which to me would make your water flow rate less vs drilling a hole AFTER outflow.

Drill a hole (smaller then your air tubing) into the side of your Water Pump Tubing (closest to the surface or outside the pond the better). Make sure water flow is off (Duh) and then use a lighter to heat the water pump tubing enough to force the slightly larger OD Air tubing into the side and let cool until wedged. Plug in water pump and DONE!

NOTE: Make sure Air Tubing (in-hale) end is in concealed and water-less area.

The pump in the picture is only a 150gph pump, imagine the airflow with a 1,000gph+ :eek: !
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3651]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey you know you can spend money on the one at lowes or go cheap and build your own .I chose cheap build your own .I gave it a shot and works on the tetra pump that is 250gph and have another one that is 460 gph,I have like 4 of these that came with my harbor freight pumps

Attachments

• peewee punp air water gap 009.JPG
    peewee punp air water gap 009.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 383
  • peewee punp air water gap 012.JPG
    peewee punp air water gap 012.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 382

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the one at lowes neat as it is for the money does it really work and for how long

Attachments

• house 2013 006.JPG
    house 2013 006.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, I have seen one of those there! I thought it was just an aerator and not a 2-N-1. Hopefully their pond supplies will go on sale as the winter roles in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks sissy, I just don't know it it will work well with only 300gph pump, my DIY version is only 150gph and if the air intake is under 6" it suffers trying to create pressure for the air vacuum :/ I will look at the reviews and see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked and not many reviews and I could not seeing it working for long .Plus it has what looks like a foam filter pad that can get clogged smartpond pumps are on there own web sight and seems the lights get dirty and they go out as one customer said it did not look like they sealed the LEDs very good .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go on you tube type in smartpond pumps and it shows you good and bad on all there products .I have 1 of there pumps and it works great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I will fiddle with one of my larger hose's and pumps this weekend and see if I can get better results, going to lowes on my lunch break to see what they have on sale :banana: . Koi Guy, That's what I was thinking (Sort of), something to create a better air-pull, Im going to laser cut one of the 1/8" thick sidewalls on my 3/4"ID tubing at an angle where the hose goes down after a bend and into the pond bottom, cut the Air-hose end at the same angle and wedge it so the water passing thru has less drag and more pressure hopefully!

Ask a Question