Submersible Pump AND Aerator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, Im sure this has been done or they make a product like this but Im going to throw this idea out there and see if it will work.
I have an unused 250gph Fountain pump sitting around and were wondering how to make it useful when I thought about it for a while I remembered my Pressurized filter.
When after I clean my filter and latch the lid back on there is a lot of air bubbles that flow out of the pond floor outlet for about 5 minutes from the water pulling the existing air out as pressure builds.

If I were to drill a hole in the side of the small pumps 1/2" outlet or in the side of the 1/2" tubing and lodged an air tube in the side wall and ran the other side of the air tube out of the water, wouldn't the pull of the water going through the tubing pull air through like a vacuum and out with the water? Has anyone tried this? Thanks :fingersx:

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've seen venturi attachments you can buy to put on the intake of many pumps to do a similar thing. My protein skimmer for my reef tank has this on the pump. Only possible downside in micro-bubbles may be created.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:39001]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34098]they come with almost all harbor freight pumps and I also do this buy putting the hose from the pump in a pipe with holes drilled in it
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34088]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34089]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34086]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33991]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33990]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Very cool, That's exactly how I was picturing it sissy! I hope the pull from this little pump will pull enough air to bother with it, Sissy, Does your Pump with that attachment put out a lot of air compared to a air pump?
Mike, when you say "Micro Bubbles" you mean very very tiny bubbles right? if so, why are they bad? Thanks for the help guys and gals :)

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
In reef tanks, micro bubbles make the water "look bad" but also can irritate certain things... In the extreme case, rumour has it it can give fish air embolisms. But I don't really buy that as waves in reefs naturally create more air bubbles.

I'm new to ponds, so not sure what the conventional wisdom is when it comes to this hobby; just throwing it out there to see if the more experienced folks have an opinion. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think My home made set up works better.I run 1 pump to 2 of those hoses and it aerates the pond in the winter so I don't have to worry about ruining my aerator .Used a t piece of pvc and 2 hose clamps to split it up .Put the pump in a bucket of lava rock to keep it clean .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All the out let on the one is sucks in air and mixes it with water .Koiguy posted a good one and it is actually on you tube also

Ask a Question