Tadpoles everywhere!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't sure where to post this...I guess it's spawning, but not fish!
We have thousands of tiny tadpoles everywhere in our pond. I've never seen so many. Maybe it's actually a million! I imagine a lot of them will get eaten by the fish eventually. It will be interesting to see how many survive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in a similiar situation. I have seen some full grown frogs the other morning I am all for a nice ecosystem but I don't want to be runneth over either..'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am in a similiar situation. I have seen some full grown frogs the other morning I am all for a nice ecosystem but I don't want to be runneth over either..'
I don't think you have to worry about getting over run by frogs, like an episode of The Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

It's been two months now and we've gone from millions of tadpoles to maybe none. I haven't seen any, but there could be a few hiding somewhere. I've only seen them in the very early stage. They never seemed to develop any legs for some reason, maybe it takes longer than I thought. I assume a lot of them were eaten by the fish. Every year we have several frogs around the pond. They are more noticable in the Spring when they are quite verbal due to mating, I assume.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so in essence they may depopulate themselves? that would be lovely, alot of them are getting caught up in my filter..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so in essence they may depopulate themselves? that would be lovely, alot of them are getting caught up in my filter..
It all balances out I get 1000's of eggs then 1000's of tads, that slowly just disappear. Never have 1000's of frogs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting and good to know. ! 1000 FROGS would be too epic for me
If I counted, non breeding time, I would guess we have maybe 10ish frogs and that is spread out among 11 ponds. Not saying I see all the frogs that are around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Cane toads are really bad news. Jeremy Wade (River Monsters, Dark Waters, Mighty Rivers) has covered cane toads at least once, if not more than once - on his programs. The information made for a very interesting episode - but yikes, they are bad for an ecosystem.

Ask a Question