The Accidental Pond - filter problem

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks Brokensword for the info on the snorkel! Had no idea what it was as my bog was built several years ago and was not planning on redoing it. Seems I already have a snorkel. I put a chimney flue liner in the end of my bog, elevated on 2" blocks on edges. Its big enough that I can put a pump in to completely drain the bog. I do not have my manifold pipes connected to it, they run right along the sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Brokensword for the info on the snorkel! Had no idea what it was as my bog was built several years ago and was not planning on redoing it. Seems I already have a snorkel. I put a chimney flue liner in the end of my bog, elevated on 2" blocks on edges. Its big enough that I can put a pump in to completely drain the bog. I do not have my manifold pipes connected to it, they run right along the sides.
As long as you can get a pump down and drain, it doesn't have to connect. With my bog V2, I don't have it connected either as I was dual-purposing a 'vault' that is both snorkel AND basin for my yellow flag iris. I have cutouts in the bottom and this vault is the lowest point so if I have to actually drain the bog, all the water will eventually end up where I can pump it out.

My bog V1 was done via instructions from a pond professional; it works too but in that version, it was just a 12" vault for future access. With V2, I have a 30" deep, 20" diam vault that will more easily accept the clean out pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the explanation. I think I get it now. So your snorkel is 12" diameter pipe?
Well, actually, I found the ones they sold at the big box stores to be way too expensive for my needs (I think a 12" diam corrugated pipe/cleanout pc was over $75) so I improvised by cutting out the bottoms of a bunch of square plastic buckets and stacking them until desired height. It fit a pump just fine. Didn't look like much but I was burying it in all that gravel so I didn't care. With bog V2, I used a 30 gallon trash can as my 'vault' because I was going to dual purpose it. This new 'snorkel/vault' is used to grow a pot of yellow flag iris. The bottom is at the lowest point of my bog and I cut large holes in the sides near the bottom so that if I ever have to drain bog V2, all the water will make its way to this point. In V1, the space was just wasted as a water column and it was too small to really put any iris/plant in it, plus was just below the water level and therefore would overflow and bypass the gravel. In V2, I made sure this one was at least 6" higher than my gravel surface to insure no water got out that way. As a matter of fact, I put a T on one of my gravity outlets and send a portion via smaller hose, TO this new iris vault/ snorkel. This gives the iris more nutrients plus will flow down and out the bottom holes and diffuse into the bog.

As a furthering of what I noted above, this is the diagram of what I'm using, if you're interested.

This pic shows how I prefilter using a 50 gallon drum. I actually doubled this when I expanded and now have 2, each of which gravity feed into the bog. This is my V1. In V2, I have the outlet pouring directly from a 1-1/2" flex pipe shoved down into one of (4) 4" drain hoses, which go to the bottom of my V in the bog. This shows how I used to pour into my original 'bucket' snorkel/vault. The 'filter' used inside this drum is actually based on an aquarium concept of a 'sock filter'. Works a charm and magnifies the actual filtering area tremendously. And as noted earlier, takes me literally 5 minutes to turn the filter sock inside out and spray away the buildup, then reinsert into the drum filter. I can vary the micron size depending on how dirty the water seems to be. I have to clean more often when I use the 300 micron size versus the 200 version.

plumbing at drum filter v3.jpg

This second picture shows how I split the output of my pump to supply water to both my waterfall(s) and to the drum prefilter. A little known fact is that if you upsize your pump outlet AT THE OUTLET by adding a reducer, it gives you more volume/capacity than if you just used a T later down the line. I went from 1-1/2" outlet to a 3" outlet, then added a Y, then reduced it to the 2 feeds (at 1-1/2" again). A neat little trick that has served me well. I'd have reduced my output to both endpoints if I'd just used a T only.

plumbing at pump v3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, actually, I found the ones they sold at the big box stores to be way too expensive for my needs (I think a 12" diam corrugated pipe/cleanout pc was over $75).............

As a furthering of what I noted above, this is the diagram of what I'm using, if you're interested............

Yep, I googled 12" drain pipe, luckily I was sitting down at the time.

I am interested and thank you for taking the trouble to explain. Ive got it now I think.

The snorkel is a large diameter 'hole in the gravel' that allows you to drain the dirty water from the bottom of the bog should it be needed. The bog and slotted pipes can be designed so as to concentrate at the bottom of the snorkel. It is not connected to the slotted pipes, although sometimes they also have snorkels for cleaning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Not all bogs have a snorkel. Mine does not and many feel it's not necessary. It may be a good idea since you'll have a way to suck out the muck that may accumulate over the years.

At the end of my manifolds the PVC turns straight up to the level just above the gravel. I have a pvc screw cap on them. If the water returning to the pond slows down dramatically, I'll turn off the pump, unscrew one of the caps, jamb an extra piece of flex PVC in there, point it toward the garden, then turn the pump back on. Black water shoots out and in a matter of seconds it turns clear. I turn off the pump, screw the cap back on, then do the other one. Water pressure is then restored. As I previously stated in my last post, I only had to do this a few times during the first few weeks of the new bog.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A snorkel and standpipe are two different things. I think we are mostly discussing a stand pipe, a snorkel is used in a more complex system that has a basin usually filled with aqua blocks which can be installed under a bog filter.
Here is a picture of a snorkel
CFD849C4-ACCA-4FB6-9C5C-BBA506D728E2.jpeg

I am editing to include a picture of my standpipe
10A67B7C-45B4-4E97-8849-8ED961F890E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A snorkel and standpipe are two different things. I think we are mostly discussing a stand pipe, a snorkel is used in a more complex system that has a basin usually filled with aqua blocks which can be installed under a bog filter.

Ok, now I'm confused again. Basin/aqua blocks?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, now I'm confused again. Basin/aqua blocks?
Sorry, I didn’t mean to make it more complicated; bogs are so very simple at their best. You asked about a snorkel and I think some of the replies were more about stand pipes. If you want to build a 10,000 gallon pond you might want to consider the aquablocks system with a snorkel and caterpillar sections.
The 2 best resources for bog builds are @addy1 ’s bog build sticky and Nelson Water Gardens blog. You can tweak the design as you feel is needed but there isn’t a need to overly complicate the design for the average pond owner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I now have a plan of action.

I've started rebuilding the original filter bay to convert it into the small bog filter.

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Yes it's very sloppy brick work. I have no excuse except I rushed it. It will do the job though and won't be in view.

And the gravel arrived. Comes in a free bag for life.

IMG_2076.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Dirty If you are using a snorkel You aren’t using slotted pipes. Your input hose from your pump hooks into a centipede that is shoved into a hole in the side near the bottom of the snorkel then aqua blocks over the top if it then a layer of 6-12” stone, then 2-4” then your pea gravel.
Looks like this
40B00B2A-5A33-4601-AC56-82DBCF36946A.jpeg Centipede is the long slotted thing in the pic , snorkel and aqua blocks. In order to clean this type of bog you would drop a utility pump down in the snorkel and pump it out. (You don’t drain it)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Dirty If you are using a snorkel You aren’t using slotted pipes. Your input hose from your pump hooks into a centipede that is shoved into a hole in the side near the bottom of the snorkel then aqua blocks over the top if it then a layer of 6-12” stone, then 2-4” then your pea gravel.
Looks like this
View attachment 131896 Centipede is the long slotted thing in the pic , snorkel and aqua blocks. In order to clean this type of bog you would drop a utility pump down in the snorkel and pump it out. (You don’t drain it)
I don't think there's enough room for the snorkel/centipede type setup. Maybe a basic manifold gravel would best suit that small spot.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't think there's enough room for the snorkel/centipede type setup. Maybe a basic manifold gravel would best suit that small spot.

Agreed, in that small space the manifold slotted pipe with clean outs would be the way to go. The OP needs to understand the two Differing bog systems, as they aren’t mix and match systems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like this
View attachment 131896 Centipede is the long slotted thing in the pic , snorkel and aqua blocks. In order to clean this type of bog you would drop a utility pump down in the snorkel and pump it out. (You don’t drain it)

Thanks. Read that and emitted a large and audible 'aaaaaaaah'.

It's a similar set up to an aquarium I had many years ago. It had a slotted plastic tray at the bottom covered in a couple of inches of gravel and water was sucked downwards through the gravel.

It's doable in the smaller filter but I'm going the manifold route for both I think.

Probably.....

:unsure:

Ask a Question