The Accidental Pond - filter problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is 26ish feet long, the slits near the pumps are further apart then the slits at the far end of the bog. It is working great.
You don't need power, like @poconojoe says, to run your bog, just a pump , a T off your existing pump or a new pump and just run the lines to the bog.
A lower flow in the bog and less water volume i feel is better then pushing lots of water through the bog to fast my bog is 18 x 10 and 7 feet deep i push about 6,000 to 7000 gph through it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is our first year with a bog. Ours is small, probably not 30 % of pond's surface and our pond water is crystal clear. I should mention it's not our only filtration as we have a ( hideous looking ) sand & gravel filter. If I thought I could get away with it, down the road we might lose the sand & gravel filter.....but we have 4 large koi.

Your pond is very pretty :)
Give the plants a couple years to truly get established in your bog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lower flow in the bog and less water volume i feel is better then pushing lots of water through the bog to fast my bog is 18 x 10 and 7 feet deep i push about 6,000 to 7000 gph through it

7 feet deep! That's a lot of gravel shovelling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DYI  Snorkel and centipede.jpg

20180504_175440[18534].jpg
20180504_183836.jpg

Attachments

• Pond 5-9-18 (1 of 1)-3-2.JPG
    Pond 5-9-18 (1 of 1)-3-2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That one shot looks like a construction yard (or at least mine) pipe laying around, rock everywhere, big pile of dirt. I have to tell people when I am doing rock work on their shoreline especially if by land, it is going to look like a disaster area until I am done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know what it took to build my pond , footings, retaining walls , Perimeter drain ,Main drain , skimmer, the two bogs etc etc etc . the wife wasn't pleased when the grass had all come back in and i ripped it apart again for the cistern . That was one very small pile or rock compared to what i used

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is around 27x4.5 or so and 2.5 feet deep or so. I send around 6000 gph through the bog. Just pea gravel it works great.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You know what it took to build my pond , footings, retaining walls , Perimeter drain ,Main drain , skimmer, the two bogs etc etc etc . the wife wasn't pleased when the grass had all come back in and i ripped it apart again for the cistern . That was one very small pile or rock compared to what i used

Yeah, you definitely put a lot of thought and effort into your build, like every construction site it looks a mess to a certain point then it comes together and the area looks 100 times better than when you started.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Work continues on my small bog filter. Waiting on some underlay to get it done.

Whilst waiting I was thinking. Is it beneficial to use a filter starter in a bog filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Work continues on my small bog filter. Waiting on some underlay to get it done.

Whilst waiting I was thinking. Is it beneficial to use a filter starter in a bog filter?
Many will say beneficial bacteria has no place in the pond and if there is nothing for the bacteria to eat they would be right. BOGS are about patience unfortunately. It takes time to get the waste to the bog the bacteria to thrive. and the plants to grow I have a rather large feature and it took mine almost two years to stabilize FULLY. What i mean by that is the last year at different times i had string algae blooms depending on the time of year and the weather. This year the pond has been everything i designed and hoped for clear waters barely peach fuzz on the rocks. The way i boosted the pond was with lesser fish and overfeeding but thats only because i have no patience. it might have worked or it might not have others here who have ponded for years were amazed the plants the first year did half as well as they did

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just planted mine and a year later got fish. I had ph issues with our well water, fish died as soon as put in the pond. Too acidic, took a year to stabilize it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after a bit of a break I cracked on with the filter

BEC65D7D-4AAE-4769-B72C-6CD8C7DA5CB2.jpeg

I've put together the inlet pipes and cut more and closer slots in the furthest away pipe then did a test (see vid). Seems that the furthest away pipes are getting most of the outflow.
I'm wondering if the test being out of the water was not indicative of how it will behave when submerged? I might cut a few more slots in the closest pipe anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its pressure the water is hitting the end cap and you get back pressure thus pressure starts at the end not where it passes a small hole in comparison .

Ask a Question