The BEST OUT DOOR FLY TRAP YET!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
that sounds interesting thanks for the tips .have you thought about catchng the ferrel Cats and getting THEM vasectimized? the well fed birds will thank you for that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the moat idea.... I have box turtles, and I constantly worry about their food attracting our lovely fire ants! Last thing I want to happen is for my babies to get attacked!!! Had read before that someone made a moat around their boxies food bowl -- this kept the ants out but the turts could still get to the food. Have wanted to try something similar, but never got around to figuring out the LOGISTICS. Turtles are so close to the ground, and not that big, so I've been afraid that any moat effectively sized to keep out ants might make it hard on the turts, as well. Not to mention that they would probably knock dirt & stuff into a moat while trying to walk across which would render the moat not-a-moat but a bridge.

Thanks for the mention of Dawn, though. Who knows why it works, but might be worth a try!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I trapped a feral Cat ,that attacked any thing and everything ,city {no harm trap} When it found out it was trapped {all hell broke loose screeching and screaming .hissing ,tumbling that cage as ,flying around it like a motorcycle in a circus act .The whole neighborhood ,thought rape and mayhem ,were having a party in the pasture by the house .I called animal control it was after dark and the women animal catcher on duty didn't want to come till morning till I allowed her to hear the vocals the cat was expelling ,and offered to play them to her boss in the morning ,she decided to come right away !! Moonless DARK nite -she shows up in 20 mins, parks in the drive ,I took her by flash lite to the overturned cage ,with gloved hand puts cage on end inserts catch stick loops cat behind front leg and yanks cat out of cage .HONEY !! Its feet hit the ground and spun her round and round ,She thought she had a tornado on that stick ,finally ,cat tired enough for her to get a little control ,we head for the gate ,all of a sudden the cat gets a second wind and were off to the races again tearing up sod all the way , At the gate my black angus had gathered and scared the bejuses out of her when my pet BULL ,licked her arm ,I thought she was going to clear that fence cat and all !! SO NO I HAVE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED THAT OPTION and THEN telling him why he was caught! I'D rather feed the offspring and let the birds use some CARE on their EXCURSIONS !!

YOU MIGHT TRY A VERY NARROW DEEP MOAT .BUT I'D FORGET THE SOAP , COULD GET MESSY ,REGULARY

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
That's the amazing thing .most are not in the water ,2/3 s are on the tray rim .This is a bead of the thick soap (dawn) straight out of the bottle all the way around the tray at the waters edge ,I don't know if it is so sticky ,it seams to attract the flys from the cat ,food ,so I do not know ,the why or how it really works ,but I do know ,IT has ended the lives of over a hundred flies in a couple months .Ants do not seem to go anywhere near it since I added the Dawn . The biggest problem I had was getting the tray perfectly level ,and the dish cloth to keep the feed dish from floating off center bridging the narrow moat ,there is only a 1/4" of water depth in the moat ,works slick and maintenance free !

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
multifasited said:
That's the amazing thing .most are not in the water ,2/3 s are on the tray rim .This is a bead of the thick soap (dawn) straight out of the bottle all the way around the tray at the waters edge ,I don't know if it is so sticky ,it seams to attract the flys from the cat ,food ,so I do not know ,the why or how it really works ,but I do know ,IT has ended the lives of over a hundred flies in a couple months .Ants do not seem to go anywhere near it since I added the Dawn . The biggest problem I had was getting the tray perfectly level ,and the dish cloth to keep the feed dish from floating off center bridging the narrow moat ,there is only a 1/4" of water depth in the moat ,works slick and maintenance free !
Do you have pics you could post? Some of us are "visual."

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
VERY SIMPLE SET UP! White rag levels the tray ,only two dead flies ,just cleaned ,when I thought to post should have shot pix ,first but ,had not thought of posting till I was about through flushing everything ,been cool here 45 am 65 pm so not a lot of fly activity since I cleaned .I had to elevate every thing so ,PORKCHOP my best friend and constant companion aka the Dog doesn't eat the cat food ,vet said it was bad for him, THE cats and PORKCHOP ,have a conditional truce ,TRUST BUT VARIFY ,so they are not real friends but put up with each other .Fun to watch .

Attachments

• misc cat fly trap 004.JPG
    misc cat fly trap 004.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 284
  • misc cat fly trap 005.JPG
    misc cat fly trap 005.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 311
  • misc cat fly trap 006.JPG
    misc cat fly trap 006.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 281
  • misc cat fly trap 007.JPG
    misc cat fly trap 007.JPG