The new kids.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are some pics of the koi we got this morning! The bright yellow and black and just regular koi, and the other two are butterfly. Although, you can probably tell that in the pictures. The bright yellow and black one was my hubby's pick, he said for all his hard work he should get one, his name is Frank (or Frankie if it ends up being a girl) Again hubby's choice :rolleyes: If anyone knows what kind they are let me know.....

Attachments

• DSC04827.JPG
    DSC04827.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC04828.JPG
    DSC04828.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC04831.JPG
    DSC04831.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 281

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
nice looking fish. the two butterfly koi have really nice color and fins. Not sure what they will develope into yet. The lighter color one has a ogon or yambuki coloration but it could change over time. The dark one?? I really don't know what it would be called. The standard right not appears to be a Ki Doitsu Matsuba. ( Ki - yellow) It to could change but if it does the most likely change will be the yellow changing to orange as yellow is not a real stable color. If it does change to orange then it will be a Hi Doitsu Matsuba. ( Hi is refered to orange or red ) either way, Nice fish and you should enjoy them a lot as they grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks guys!! I like Frank too, I'm just more partial to the butterfly koi. The guy at the store said that the lighter colored one would eventually be more of lemon yellow color on top keeping the white on his belly and head. The other two he said the black would fill out more over their backs, especially the black and white one he said. He didn't mention that Frank could turn orange. I hope not. I love the yellow! We were trying to get ones that don't look at all like goldfish. I'm already smitten with all 3 of them. I just love watching them swim! Man, and they sure are aggressive feeders, they took out several goldfish to get to the food first!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nice choices. I am crazy about my Koi too!! I wish I could figure YouTube out and I could post a video of feeding time. Its wild!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
PL, when you post to YouTube, it takes a while, at least it does on my computer. Maybe it is posting and you're not patient enough. Someone will jump in and give you directions, I'm sure. I've only done it a few times, not enough to help out much.
Jen, Love your fish!!! That yellow and black one (Frank) is really striking. I agree with Larkin in his description. So, it is mirror/scaleless (Doitsu) and has the pine cone pattern on it's top line, the dark scales (Matsuba) and yellow (ki). The lightest colored fish that is white and pale yellow, I'm like you, I hope the yellow comes through as it grows! Will be fun to watch them change colors, or remain the same! They are your babies, so whatever they do will be exciting.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
At what point do the koi stop changing their colors? Ce I have joined u tube to post and am kind illiterate in that area. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is youtube the only way to post videos here? Hmmm, might have to try to figure it out myself.

I'm excited to watch them grow. If one thing having a pond does, it's bound to teach me some patience (I have zero). I did try to read up a little on how they change and did find that a really pale yellow usually turn darker. I also read that really vibrant colors in babies tend to fade or change. I guess I can only cross my fingers that that won't be the case with Frank, I really want him to stay yellow!!

All the fish are still acting pretty shy, but tonight they did come a few inches from my hand in the water, but only while I was being very still, and not after my hubby came a long to check them out.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got this from koiguy and addy once and it helped me figure out utube video's:

How to make utube video's

From koiguy:
you can select music right on youtube in their editing...bubble annotations as well
Just a small tutorial on using utube and posting your videos here....
first you must join utube..
shoot your video and download it to your computer.( i always drag mine to my desktop)
go to utube and on the top of any screen your on, you'll see "UPLOAD"
click it and you'll get your computer access listing screen. find your video and click on it then click the open button.(bottom right corner)

1.JPG

2.JPG

now utube takes over while your video uploads...once your video is uploaded and your ready to post it on the forum here. you need to make sure your settings on utube allow it. first make sure your settings are on PUBLIC, you'll see this while you fill out the info on the upload page while its uploading....when your ready to make the video available for posting here.
on the top of any page on utube you'll see your username button...click it, go to videos, click it....on the videos page, find the video you want to post here. click the EDIT button. scroll down to EMBEDDING, and click it and click the YES external sites...
to embed here you just copy and paste the URL address at the top your screen on the video playback page.

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

============================================
From addy:
There is a button called audio swap, use that to put the music to your video.
Click the upload button, browse to the video and upload it.

After you do that post the link to your thread.

upload

11.jpg

it will give you a link you can click to see your video once it is done

7.jpg

copy and paste that link in your thread

8.jpg

under your user name you can click videos and see your list of uploaded ones.

9.jpg

Ask a Question