THE SADDEST PART OF THE PONDING YEAR

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Went to see the property today, beautiful land with stream runing along the property line, huge hydro farm green house and mushroom green house and about 300x100 feet mud bottom pond. I dont have a slightest idea what to do with the mud bottom pond!! Will see if we will get it or not :)

I turned on the radio and already they were playing christmas music... wayyy too early!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nepen said:
Went to see the property today, beautiful land with stream runing along the property line, huge hydro farm green house and mushroom green house and about 300x100 feet mud bottom pond. I dont have a slightest idea what to do with the mud bottom pond!! Will see if we will get it or not :)

I turned on the radio and already they were playing christmas music... wayyy too early!!
koi breeders toss their koi in there, they say they come out healthy big beautiful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's great to know Addy! But when I saw the picture I was day dreaming about putting bog in there but since it's so huge and I have no idea how deep it is, I dont think I'll be able to drain it and make the bog or do I even need filteration? I can just plant the plants on the edge and stuff but not using bog as the filter like yours....

Ahhh... day dreaming is fun... it's probably going to go too high than we can affort.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep the koi farm I got my koi from was a mud bottom and the koi were healthy looking .They were playing Christmas music here for over a week in the grocery store .

Reaction score
Where I live in MI, we experience all 4 seasons pretty equally. I enjoy all 4 of them as they all bring different challenges and benifits to the pond. I guess Fall is my least favorite but I do love Winter. Watching my 300 gph pump fight to keep a hole in the ice interests me. Last year was a relatively mild Winter but we did have a long hard cold stretch and the pump never failed to keep that hole open. Some days it is much bigger than others. I do enjoy not having to feed the fish for a while, not having to fight algae, not having to top off due to evaporation, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't think you'd need filtration with that sized mud pond. If I had such a pond, I'd be interested in aeration and would plant the edges….put in a size dock….see now I'm dreaming:) Kim

Reaction score
Nepen said:
That's great to know Addy! But when I saw the picture I was day dreaming about putting bog in there but since it's so huge and I have no idea how deep it is, I dont think I'll be able to drain it and make the bog or do I even need filteration? I can just plant the plants on the edge and stuff but not using bog as the filter like yours....

Ahhh... day dreaming is fun... it's probably going to go too high than we can affort.
In a large pond like that I would focus more on aeration and circulation than filtration. Think a large pump running a fountain. You could also just set up one side as a bog. Pump the water up to a water fall and let it trickle back down through rocks and plants etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haha I love when people joined me for my day dreaming :) Thanks diesel and Tula! I'm getting excited about the property and hope we get it. I hope my husband dont back out too soon, just like earlier auction he backed out too soon and we lost the bid too.

Sissy, I like the christmas music sometime, just not a month and a half early lol.

I'm excited about my vacation to visit my family in Thailand for 3 weeks... I'll miss the cold though, especially will miss my fish!!

I'm actually quite happy that I dont have to do much with my pond during winter, so I dont have to get my husband to take care of it too :)

Reaction score
MitchM said:
Do you guys with indoor ponds and colder temperatures have humidity issues with your homes (condensation, mould)?
I installed a heat recovery ventilator years ago and it makes a huge difference.
I had a pond in a greenhouse at our last place, ice use to build up on the door and freeze it shut, a few times I had to take a hair drier to the door to melt the ice off so I could get in. And yeah, in the winter time when I didn't ventilate the place a thin layer of mold would develop on some of the surfaces.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Becky has written back. Apparently they own a freshwater forum, but I don't want to go there. I want a subforum here because I like the community here and I don't want to go somewhere else.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As a child we did not celebrate Christmas and only saw it in school but seems like every holiday they are cramming down peoples throats sooner and sooner .Good gosh last year there was new years leftovers in the store along with Valentines day and easter and the they added in ST Patricks day .I never heard of people celebrating these holidays except in school until I married hubby .You may need one of those big lake aerators you see on the puter that float .I see them here in some ponds Nepen .I don't like cold and snow is pretty as long as it goes away fast .At least since I am retired it is easier

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
add your own thread and just keep it up dated so people can chime in then and maybe they will just add it .Look at the good banter and weather that was added .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Our holidays are being commercialized by corporations. Traditionally, no one ever even mentioned Christmas prior to Thanksgiving, but I heard Christmas music a few times already this year. It's all about selling stuff.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true and sad to say because to me they are times to be enjoyed by family and friends .In NJ I had a tree for Christmas and decorated the front porch with fresh cut pine branches from my pine trees .Now I have only put a tree up three times .I won't buy a fresh tree .I had 2 big dogs and did not want them to think I was making it easy on the boy dog to pee on the tree .The female dog used to hide under the tree in the yard to pee so no one could see her .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I can only ever remember 1 season with a real tree in my life. It was messy and I can't even remember how old I was. Of course nowadays I'd never even think of chopping a tree down just to have it in my living room for a few weeks and then discard it.

Ask a Question