THE SADDEST PART OF THE PONDING YEAR

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do you guys with indoor ponds and colder temperatures have humidity issues with your homes (condensation, mould)?
I installed a heat recovery ventilator years ago and it makes a huge difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I started with feeder fish in a small pond. Built a bigger pond and added koi. Rehomed all my comets and shubunkin this summer and kept my five koi. I'm hoping some of the measures I've taken to keep my koi from my lilies will work next year.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have plenty of pond work to be done here after today, That wind came in a leaves are filling the leaf baskets multiple times during the day. I've cleaned one out twice and out out three times already today and will check them again before going to bed. The cold temps are going to kill most of the Taro, and rushes so I'm sure I'll be cutting dead plants back this next week. I set-up a indoor small 40 gallon pond for some water lettuce and a few plants I want to try and see if I can keep through the winter this year. Also, now taking the time to build a little better QT pond. Hope to have it up by next spring so I can use for a fry tank as well. Never ending projects for a diehard koikichi. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Always worries me about my plants in the basement .I got a dehumidifier just in case .I have a heat recovery system on my heat pump also .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MitchM said:
Do you guys with indoor ponds and colder temperatures have humidity issues with your homes (condensation, mould)?
I installed a heat recovery ventilator years ago and it makes a huge difference.

i've been wintering fish indoors for years with no issues. i have a dehumidifier. have never used it... but i still use the humidifier on the furnace to add humidity throughout the house. i keep the basement about 65* and the pond water stays about 58* - 60*. at these temps the evaporation is minimal.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/top...-my-simple-but-effective-basement-pond-setup/

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I used to take my koi inside for the winter but they finally outgrew what space I could provide them inside. I only have 5 but they are approaching 2 feet now so it's just not possible to keep them in a tub in our laundry room anymore. This will be their second winter outside and the first in the much larger new pond so I'm worried and definitely miss the days of bringing them in for the cold weather. I hate to say it but I'm with sissy, kinda wish I would have thought a little more before getting koi...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My skin gets really dry when we turn the heater on so we actually like it when there is some moisture in the house. We hang dry a lot of clothes and they dry very quickly in the winter inside. So I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't mind a little moisture myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Neo and Sissy, I understand your feeling about koi. I was faced with a decision this summer, as my shubunkin and comets had reproduced to the point the pond was over stocked and I have five growing koi. I miss the shubunnkins and the comets and am hoping I can strike a balance with my koi and plants….if that's even possible! LOL Kim

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We heat with a wood stove and always keep a kettle on it to keep the air moist. Hoping having the pond with plants down there will help with the moisture levels.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We heat with the sun from our sun room windows and a vent-less propane stove that is in the living room. Leave the heat pump off unless we leave town, then set it just so the pipes don't freeze up. Real cheap electric bills in the winter, last year the propane cost us a whole 150 bucks for the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm crossing my fingers that husband win an auction for 11 acre land with huge pond :) then I'll deffinately have tons of questions in winter time lol.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've already sent an e-mail to Admin to have them start up a tank subforum. Let's have more people do it so we can have more stuff to talk about during the indoor season!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good luck nepen .I know 2 years ago I bought 12 acres of land with a single wide trailer and a nice stream and an ugly neglected liner pond .27 thousand .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
JohnHuff said:
I've already sent an e-mail to Admin to have them start up a tank subforum. Let's have more people do it so we can have more stuff to talk about during the indoor season!
Um, how do you send an email to admin? I'm blanking....

Ask a Question