Total newbie - worried about Koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am a complete newbie to this. We have a garden pond that has been established for several years without any problems. The pond has been every active and has been breeding successfully without any intervention from me. I have a pump that I clean out every few weeks, but apart from that and treating blanket weed when needed, I have left it pretty much alone.
We have a gorgeous Koi who today I noticed is swimming at a slight tilt. He is still active, eating and not sitting at the bottom or gasping for air. He just has a bit of a tilt when he is moving slowly. I've attached some pictures.
If it weren't for the covid 19, I'd be going to the local pond centre and getting some advice, but I'm not sure what do to. We don't have any chemicals or treatment in the house yet.
Please forgive the quality of the photos. I'd just been netting up some algae and it hadn't quite settled yet.
Do you have any ideas on what it might be, if anything, or what I can do?

Attachments

• Koi 2.jpg
    Koi 2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Koi 3.jpg
    Koi 3.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Koi 4.jpg
    Koi 4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 144

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586103799346.gif
@chadwickthecat
I don't see anything wrong and I'm no disease expert but just wanted to say hi. Others here may be of more help. Hope it's nothing serious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Please don't add any chemicals...ever.

As long as you have plenty of oxygenation, filtration, not too much of a fish load and a good balance with plant life, your water should be good.

Do you have a test kit? The API test kit with the liquid reagents is the preferred choice.

I hope the problem is what member mrsclem stated and your fish will be ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to help one fish by rubbing it's belly to help it release the eggs ,not an easy thing to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. I did wonder! He / she looks a bit more stable today, you probably wouldn't notice there was anything wrong.
The pond does breed a lot and we have often wondered who the female parent was.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Hope your fish does well. I only have goldfish, no help with koi

Reaction score
Mine do that every spring. I think it might have something to do with the water temperature. Keep doing what you have been doing which is nothing. If you get a test kit, have fun with it but ignore any temptation you might have to correct any perceived problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try some peeled frozen peas, may have a touch of swim bladder issue.. not too many tho

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice. This was over a year ago and the fish is doing great. the early posts were correct - she was pregnant! She's a great fish - rubs up alongside me when I'm feeding her and has given us several babies since this last post. Strange though - she's the only koi, so I guess we have lots of half koi / half goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My question is how big in the pond and how deep. what filter do you run and is there a stream or waterfall

Ask a Question