Tubing has a hole already!?

Reaction score
The tubing from my filter to the waterfall sprung a small leak after about 2 months or so, I can't believe it! Its the standard black tubing with some spiral wire in it.

I was thinking of replacing it with pipe - just the standard white pipe.

My question is, the glue that you use to seal the pipe with smells quite a bit, would it be bother the fish? If so, what should I use to stick the pipes together? There will be quite a few joints and turns.

Second question, I have one inch tubing going to into the filter (pressure filter), but I was thinking of using a larger pipe (1 1/14) coming out, do I need use 1 inch to keep everything flowing correctly?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like using the black flex PVC tubing. Needs less fittings and is very durable. I use the blue PVC glue which I have used with no problems at all with my fish. With the flex PVC I use schedule 40 white PVC fittings. I also like the fernco fittings, they are great if any repairs, changes etc are needed. You can see the 90 degree elbows are fernco fittings. I have about 250 ft of the black PVC pipe, both 2" and 1 1/2" some buried and some exposed, no problems at all.

IMG_3086.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I used black vinyl for mine and it seems to be working just fine. I stayed away from the corrugated pond hose because others complained about it cracking.

I've glued plenty of PVC on my reef tank and never had an issue with it. It cures quickly too.

I've heard increasing the size will allow for more flow, depending on the pump of course. I guess it depends on the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too like the black flex hose. We also have white pvc pipes under ground to waterfall. I leave my black hoses out all winter and they've been fine, so must be durable in my zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know why your pipes sprung a Leak Priscilla they are pretty tough pipes you live in a very sunny part of the world could the suns U/V rays have caused it to perish ?

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate that tubing it is expensive and does not last .I had it and after 1 time of that breaking ,i bought sump pump hose .I have never looked back ,sump pump hose is about 6 years old and not 1 problem with it yet

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will look for the black PVC tubing, but doubt I will get it here. I will have to settle for the white pipe.

Dave, it was all shaded, just a small hole. Could be a chicken pecked it (yes, we have wild chickens) or an iguana claw ..... but its paper thin anyways.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have white pvc pipe for all my lines, some is exposed to the sun and others parts are buried. I actually painted the exposed black so it would fit in with the landscaping. I also used some of the fernco fittings in places where I couldn't get the correct angles to line up and no problems after 10 years. I would consider using the black flex pipe if I could find it in 2-3" diameter.

If you want to use the black flex pvc look in the sprinkler section of the hardware stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Bear with me, since I am offering advice without having any idea what I'm talking about! LOL! However... we were watching This Old House and Richard Trethewy, the plumber, was talking about some wonderful new flexible tubing -- used to carry water in the home. Safe for humans = safe for fish? Anyway, it was flexible and seemed very strong. The cool part was that the attachment fittings required no adhesive. The plastic has a memory or something, and with a little heat and a particular tool, you could put in the fitting, then the stretched plastic would contract back around it, forming a watertight seal. Does anyone else know what I'm referring to? Sorry to not have more details, but wanted to share, since it seems potentially useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I think you are talking about pex tubling. It is usually used for supply lines in homes. I don't think it come much more than 5/8th inch or so but you could check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Not sure if you are still looking for tubing or not but "thepondguy.com" have flexible PVC tubing. I couldn't remember what I had going from my skimmer to the header pond but saw it on the site and recognized it. I have hit it with a shovel and it is still fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My house has all pex tubing because it is an easy way to plumb a hose and not have all those elbows that restrict water.I have what is called a home run with the pex .My water coming in is also black plastic and slightly flexible but would you would really need to figure out how to connect it to the pump and whatever else .My black flexible comes in several sizes and is in the well pump section of lowes or home depot and plumbing supply stores .I just use sump pump hose on my pond at 10 dollars and years of use from it now and no leaks and flexible and CHEAP .I have now went to the 1 1/2 inch sump pump hose as the other was 1 1/4 inch ,reason is that I got laguna pumps and less restriction means less energy use with these pumps .Why fix what works and is cheap .

Ask a Question