addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dave his location says lancashire, google says england.

Timber has any more fish passed? or did the removal of the food and water change help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Addy Lancashire is gods country lol
Surely Dr case we are here to help novice fishkeepers are we not ?
If so WB shows a funny way of helping them, you dont belittle a person like that you help them in the error of their ways so that further down the line they in turn can help others ?.

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol you would know! I was in England once, for a meeting. Then rented a car and drove around to bed and breakfast sites. It is beautiful there. Had a great time meeting people, seeing the sights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Setting up a paddling pond for the fish with clean water, emptying and cleaning out the affected pond and nuking it with bleach, returning what fish are healthy might phase out the bacterial outbreak from the decomposing organic stuff.

The paddling pool can be used to nurse the more badly affected fish with a suitable salt dose

It would be good timing to get the pond in tip top condition, going into Winter...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Found my last remaining comet dead this morning, the other fish seem to be ok,they are more active than they have been the last few days.
Yes I am new to keeping fish in a pond, and I have just discovered the uv bulb needs replacing will do that today, I am a complete novice and maybe I should have done more research into this before buying fish, but I didn't realise it was this involved but I am willing to learn, so any tips for a novice would be most helpful, what do I feed them etc., I am using a blagdon all in one filter and pump and also I have a second pump going into a box filter. please help.

Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Timber as I have previously said you really must buya few books ( I wont say Google it as often not information on the net can be wrong.
Never over feed your fish its better feed oly what your fish will eat in 5 minutes.
What size and gallonage is your pond please and can you give me those all important water perameters to give us an idea of what your water is doing at the moment
As I haveal so said water changes are a must we do a 30-40% change weekly along with filter maintenance monthly .
I'm not up on the blaggdon range could you link me into which it is or give me the bunf I need to link it please.
The U/V-C should have its bulb changed once a year though they do tend to start failing at the 6 month mark .
If maintenance of pond and filters isnt kept up as with your water perameters then I'm afraid your fish wont live that long, however if looked after correctly goldfish can live upto 40 years koi up to 80 years.
A good way of keeping abreast of everything is to buy a lined book break it up into setions one for pond maintenance one for filter maintenance one for U/V'C maintenance then sections for each of your water perameters water changes even fish health matters and pretty soon you'll have a working database to look back into should you experiance problems weve kept notes like this for 27 years now even though we now use a computer program of that of a book
Dont if you dont understand something be too embarrased to ask as there are always others like ourselves more than willing to help out as we ourselves are .
Where in Lancashire do you come from by the way ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Frustration? Who said I was frustrated? Been answering these same questions in pond forums for 20 years. It's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. If they don't want to do some reading and maybe save their fish that's their business.

Who said others couldn't respond? Pretty sure I'm the only one being pressured to shut up. My suggestion to the OP was to not wait around for answers when the answers are already available, just waiting to be read. The OP doesn't have to take the advice. They can play 20 questions if they're posting because they're bored and just want to chat. Super, they're in the right spot. The fish can continue to die in the mean time.

What exactly is the goal here? Patience? Save these fish? Or just stroke egos?

The hypocrisy here is really a bit much some times.
I'm sorry Waterbug but I chose the word frustrated to be kind. No one is attempting to pressure you to "shut up" as you so elegantly put it. Novices in trouble, asking for help seems to be a trigger for your not so helpful side to emerge.

In most posts started as this thread was, WHAT are the first things wrong that comes to mind??? Ammonia spike or low oxygen. You told this person to look it up just a few minutes, not hours, after their request for help. Keep in mind this poster is new here, and likely found this site by researching what to do about their issue. If you had asked if the fish were gasping, you may have figured out if it was an oxygen problem, and if not, moved onto ammonia faster than this person could possibly research. There is no secret that high ammonia levels are toxic, but just before all hell totally breaks loose the fish usually act stressed and stop eating, These two examples may or may not be related to the posters problem, but it certainly is quick to rule out.

You ask what is the goal here? I sincerely hope the goal is to educate people to be better ponders, and share the enjoyment. Not everyone is in the same place on the learning curve, nor do all folks learn in the same manner. It does get redundant at times to answer the same questions over and over and over again, but if someone feels they are in crisis and want to ask other folks for advice, we have the option of offering help, or moving on to another topic. Telling someone to look it up themself when they are in over their heads is not helpful in the least, although you would NOT have been rude to say here's this link, read this, it may help ...

Reaction score
Timber, can you please provide us with information such as how many gallons is the pond, or what size is it? Do you do any water changes regularly? if yes, what size? What sort of pump and filter do you have on this pond. Any aeration?

I personally got a good laugh at Waterbugs post. There was basically no information provided with which to determine what was wrong with the fish. The OP asked if we had any ideas what was wrong with them. Waterbug said yes tons of ideas. And that is all they are at that point. Why throw out tons of guesses when they could all be wrong and could send the OP in the wrong direction? It would, figuratively speaking, be like shooting him or herself right in the face.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oh, come on folks, be real! WB is right on this one! In an hour or so of searching these forums, you can find all kinds of information on the subject. By posting a question and waiting for replies, it will take you a month to get the same info! By that time all the fish have died, the OP has given up on the hobby, and the pond is in the process of being filled in. Either that, or the fish have been replaced and the next batch will soon suffer the same fate.
John

Reaction score
I am in Blackburn,Lancashire,England and NO I haven't give up on the hobby and the pond will NOT be getting filled in, I am very very upset at the what as happened to my fish, I am an animal lover and hate to see any living thing in distress. I have done a water test and these are the results.

GH = 40
KH = 0
PH = 6.5
No2 = 0.5
No3 = 20

P.S. I need all the help you are willing to give.

Dave.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MY RECOMMENDATION: We add a DISCLAIMER statement to the Posting Information.....

TO NEW MEMBERS: "Waterbug is knowledgeable, and is a valuable member of our GPF Community. Please disregard his sarcasm, and don't take it personally. That's just the way he is -- annoying, but he adds 'spice' as well as information to our conversations!"

TO OLD MEMBERS: "You guys know how he is. Accept it. Get over it. Remember, it takes 2...."

Reaction score
Glad you decided to stick around. If these are your results after an 80% water change, I think it is safe to say you have water quality issues.

Two more questions ...

1. Do you have an ammonia test? With that nitrite reading after a huge water change, I suspect your ammonia levels before the water change were through the roof ...

2. What is the PH value of your tap water before it went to the pond?

KH at 0 is an issue ...

Reaction score

Ask a Question