Unnecessary guest on my fish fins

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
i used to change 90 % of the water every second week but i have not get any successful results .
have you ever use some antibiotic bath for treatment? if yes what color was the water after 24h ?
if your answer is red means water hardness is up.
quarantine your fish and treat him with oxytetracycline.
you need to take the mineral out with a natural "water softener" such as" Kent Water Softener" in India .
Another option is to use demineralized water for your tank like fountain water .

Rock

Tillandsia
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
did you use antibiotics (oxytetracycline)for treat? If yes what color was tanks water after 24h? If RED means water hardiness is up.
quarantine sick fish , use water softener or 100% natural water.

Reaction score
Country
India
have you ever use some antibiotic bath for treatment? if yes what color was the water after 24h ?
if your answer is red means water hardness is up.
quarantine your fish and treat him with oxytetracycline.
you need to take the mineral out with a natural "water softener" such as" Kent Water Softener" in India .
Another option is to use demineralized water for your tank like fountain water .
thank you so much but i have not tried any antibiotic bath.
should i really need an anti biotic although i think i may not be able to .....afford it...if it is so costly..

today I saw the two goldfish and the black eye fish have red and torn fins [ all the fins are almost torn] so I added the medicine again BACTONIL FW as it has once cured my koi fish at the time of fin rot.

So I did 100 % water change[ full tank and gravels ] but have not added any medicine in the tank just aquarium salt .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
when in Asia, I see often too many fish in a tank and always amazed that that they are able to survive for as long as they do.

If you are able, can you send some pictures? Even if you medicate the tank and cure the problem in the short term, I would expect that you will have other issues. Knowing more about your setup will also allow us to provide you options to ensure healthier fish going forward.

Good luck Neha

Reaction score
Country
India
when in Asia, I see often too many fish in a tank and always amazed that that they are able to survive for as long as they do.

If you are able, can you send some pictures? Even if you medicate the tank and cure the problem in the short term, I would expect that you will have other issues. Knowing more about your setup will also allow us to provide you options to ensure healthier fish going forward.

Good luck Neha
thank you so much for your reply . yesterday i was trying very hard to upload the pictures but after i upload it was showing 100% completed and the told an error occurred . so i wasn't able to upload the pictures but i will surely try again

Reaction score
Country
India

Good luck Neha
thank you so much for your reply

Reaction score
Country
India
for torn fins and red fins [the fins are torn ant the torn endings of the fin has dark red color while the other fins have light red color] should i add PARACIDOL FW [ anti parasitic copper based remedy ] or WHITE SPOT CURE [treats white spot , gill fluke, slime and velvet . removes and kills white spot bacteria , ichthyophthirius multifiliis from aquarium ] or FUNG-RID [treates fungal diseases and ich and cotton wool diseases] or BACTONIL FW [INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ANT - BACTERIAL , effective against - skin discoloration , ulcerous wound, inflammations , mouth fungus , cloudy eye , pop eye , fish bite , fin rot ]

since it is urgent and i have only these medicines now please kindly suggest me out of these medicines any one for torn fins and red fins .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Instead of regurgitating what's out there, I've just copied it over below
Summary, medication will only help in the short term and will return unless you have worked out the water quality issue. Cycling between bad water and medicines will just stress out your fish continually. I suspect as others have, that your fish are very overcrowded and your setup has reached the threshold for removal of waste like Ammonia. If you are not able to get a larger tank, you may want to give half of your fish away to a friend who can take of them properly.
Hope this helps and good luck

Fin rot is caused by one of several gram-negative bacteria. Several antibiotics are effective; however, the root cause must be addressed as well to ensure the disease doesn’t return.

The disease occurs when the fish become stressed by something in the environment. The most common causes of Fin Rot are poor water quality and improperly low water temperature. Overcrowding the tank, feeding outdated food or overfeeding, and moving or handling the fish can also cause stress leading to Fin Rot.

Treatment should include a water change, and careful examination of the aquarium conditions. If there is food debris, vacuum the gravel and take care to avoid overfeeding in the future. Start putting dates on your fish food, as it loses the vitamin content fairly quickly after it is opened. Feeding fish fresh, high-quality food in smaller quantities is far better than frequent large feedings of stale foods.

Check the pH and water temperature of the water, and make sure it is appropriate for your fish. Incorrect pH is very stressful for fish, and can lead to disease. Low water temperatures, particularly in fish with long flowing fins, can often trigger Fin Rot.

Once the root cause is corrected, antibiotics will usually cure the disease itself.

Treatment with a drug that is effective against gram negative organisms is recommended. The drugs Chloramphenicol, Oxytetracycline, and Tetracycline are good choices. Always treat according to manufacturer’s instructions, as the preparations can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is particularly important to continue treatment for the length of time recommended, as ending treatment too soon can result in a re-occurrence of the infection.

The use of aquarium salt will benefit livebearing fish, but should be avoided in fish such as scaleless catfish as they are quite sensitive to salt.

Prevention
  • Maintain good water quality
  • Perform regular tank maintenance
  • Keep proper water parameters
  • Feed fresh food in small amounts
The best prevention against Fin Rot is good aquarium maintenance.

Change the water regularly, vacuum the gravel, and monitor the water chemistry by having a regular testing schedule, and documenting the results. This will allow you to quickly notice water chemistry changes that occur over time, giving you a chance to correct problems before they become serious. Do not overcrowd the tank, and watch for signs of fighting between fish.

When feeding, keep the volume low. Overfeeding is the most common mistakemade by all fish owners, and contributes to poor water quality. Be sure to use fresh foods. If the can has been open for half a year, it has lost most of its nutritional value. Purchase food in small enough containers that it can be used in one to two months.

Take care when choosing tank mates for fish that have long flowing fins, as fin nipping leaves fish more susceptible to Fin Rot. It is also important to keep water temperatures warm enough for fish with long fins, as low water temperatures will promote Fin Rot in long finned species of fish.

Reaction score
Country
India
Instead of regurgitating what's out there, I've just copied it over below
Summary, medication will only help in the short term and will return unless you have worked out the water quality issue. Cycling between bad water and medicines will just stress out your fish continually. I suspect as others have, that your fish are very overcrowded and your setup has reached the threshold for removal of waste like Ammonia. If you are not able to get a larger tank, you may want to give half of your fish away to a friend who can take of them properly.
Hope this helps and good luck

Fin rot is caused by one of several gram-negative bacteria. Several antibiotics are effective; however, the root cause must be addressed as well to ensure the disease doesn’t return.

The disease occurs when the fish become stressed by something in the environment. The most common causes of Fin Rot are poor water quality and improperly low water temperature. Overcrowding the tank, feeding outdated food or overfeeding, and moving or handling the fish can also cause stress leading to Fin Rot.

Treatment should include a water change, and careful examination of the aquarium conditions. If there is food debris, vacuum the gravel and take care to avoid overfeeding in the future. Start putting dates on your fish food, as it loses the vitamin content fairly quickly after it is opened. Feeding fish fresh, high-quality food in smaller quantities is far better than frequent large feedings of stale foods.

Check the pH and water temperature of the water, and make sure it is appropriate for your fish. Incorrect pH is very stressful for fish, and can lead to disease. Low water temperatures, particularly in fish with long flowing fins, can often trigger Fin Rot.

Once the root cause is corrected, antibiotics will usually cure the disease itself.

Treatment with a drug that is effective against gram negative organisms is recommended. The drugs Chloramphenicol, Oxytetracycline, and Tetracycline are good choices. Always treat according to manufacturer’s instructions, as the preparations can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is particularly important to continue treatment for the length of time recommended, as ending treatment too soon can result in a re-occurrence of the infection.

The use of aquarium salt will benefit livebearing fish, but should be avoided in fish such as scaleless catfish as they are quite sensitive to salt.

Prevention
  • Maintain good water quality
  • Perform regular tank maintenance
  • Keep proper water parameters
The best prevention against Fin Rot is good aquarium maintenance.

Change the water regularly, vacuum the gravel, and monitor the water chemistry by having a regular testing schedule, and documenting the results. This will allow you to quickly notice water chemistry changes that occur over time, giving you a chance to correct problems before they become serious. Do not overcrowd the tank, and watch for signs of fighting between fish.

When feeding, keep the volume low. Overfeeding is the most common mistakemade by all fish owners, and contributes to poor water quality. Be sure to use fresh foods. If the can has been open for half a year, it has lost most of its nutritional value. Purchase food in small enough containers that it can be used in one to two months.

Take care when choosing tank mates for fish that have long flowing fins, as fin nipping leaves fish more susceptible to Fin Rot. It is also important to keep water temperatures warm enough for fish with long fins, as low water temperatures will promote Fin Rot in long finned species of fish.

thank you so much . this is really very informative. the main problem with my tank is overcrowding so i have planed to give back the TWO KOI FISHES or THE THREE SMALL FISHES [ two goldfish and a black eye fish ]. but the problem is that one of the koi fish is my favorite and i have recently celebrated her second birthday . and the problem when giving the three fishes is that , the black eye fish is not cured till now [ the small black streak / lines are still their on her body and even her fins are torn and the main problem is that she used to jump out of the tank or tub or in any container i put her ]. I am worried that if i gave her back to aquarium she will continue to jump their also and no one will buy her or if any one buys her cannot take care of her properly as she has many problems . In India people don't know to take care of animals but the Indians are very loving that they love animals and buy them. most of the Indians keep their fishes in very small container like i used to do before [ i used to keep 2 goldfish and 2 angle fish and 1 small tiger fish in a pot [ not very small nor very big]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can you set up a second or larger tank? Or get a big tote, and set it up as your tank? You need more water volume for the fish you have. You can either get more volume or reduce your fish. If you have a friend who likes fish, you can teach them what you know, and help them set up a tank of their own. The new tank needs to cycle empty for 1 week to build up benificial bacteria before adding fish. We have faith you can figure this out. I know you fear that if you give the fish away, they will die, but if you give it to someone you’ve taught how to care for it, you’ve improved it’s chances, and the chance of survival of the fish you keep. If you keep them as they are, all will die slowly. You can find a way to make things better.

Reaction score
Country
India
Can you set up a second or larger tank? Or get a big tote, and set it up as your tank? You need more water volume for the fish you have. You can either get more volume or reduce your fish. If you have a friend who likes fish, you can teach them what you know, and help them set up a tank of their own. The new tank needs to cycle empty for 1 week to build up benificial bacteria before adding fish. We have faith you can figure this out. I know you fear that if you give the fish away, they will die, but if you give it to someone you’ve taught how to care for it, you’ve improved it’s chances, and the chance of survival of the fish you keep. If you keep them as they are, all will die slowly. You can find a way to make things better.

thank you so much . I really like the way you make me understand.
I'M planing to give my three fishes [ two goldfish and a koi fish ] after they get fully perfect can i keep my black eye fish [ 1 inch ] and a koi fish [ 1 feet long] together in the same tank as both are having disease .the koi fish would have mouth fungus every now and then but i'm able to cure it .the black eye would jump and is having black lines on the fin. No friend of mine is ready to keep fishes as they already have any other pets so there i'm not left with any option instead of giving the extra fishes to aquarium where people buy and keep the fish in a bad manner[ in most of cases i have seen this]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know your situation and abilities best. If you can’t get a bigger set up, or a second set up, and have no one you can give fish to, selling them is their best chance. They may go to someone who does know, and can care for them well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I'm reading your posts corectly, you have at least 1 koi that is 12" long, and other fish in 6.6 gallons of water? I don't know that you'll ever have success if this is true. A larger water environment is essential or reduce the fish count to one small fish. Even that seems cruel. Koi grow large, gf can be but are a better bet for an aquarium, but not at the size you have.

You never answered exactly Meyer's questions, which would clarify what a possible solution might be.

btw, without knowing the water quality being used, IF it's just chlorine, it can be dissipated by air exposure, 24 hours or so. If it contains Chloramines, the airing out process won't help you as it sometimes takes up to a month and then, there's still remnants. If the latter, you should use the anti-chlor.

If you're finding you have to do drastic water changes to keep the fish alive, you're doing something wrong, be it overcrowding or over feeding or not enough water movement or not enough oxygen in the water, or...you see the point. You shouldn't have to do this if the system is in balance. Find the imbalance and correct it.

Just mho.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From what I have gathered, she can’t get a bigger set up, and can’t rehome most of them yet. She’s trying. I offered a few solutions on how to get a bigger set up, like using big totes. Read her bio, she’s a kid who is learning better, but can’t afford what she really needs. Which I totally understand. It’d be better if you could advise just what size set up she needs, and maybe some diy on how to set up a better pump

Ask a Question