Unnecessary guest on my fish fins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d say chop the garlic small, or ask your mom to mince it for you. For just three fish, I’d offer just three small pieces at first, what they don’t eat after 5 min, remove. If they eat it, offer more. I’m not sure how others prepare it. But yes, raw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you need a better filter, this is a way to make a strong filter. I think I’ll be trying this once my fry are a little bigger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is another good resource to watch. She does fancy goldfish, I watch a lot of her videos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks for your reply .
if there is nothing wrong with my black eye fish and now i have maintained the water quality good too , then why is she jumping out of water.
my mom use to scold me now as i am always on google , searching about fishes , diseases , and about other animals too.
when i was 11 years old from that time on wards i had started researching about fishes and their diseases and from their i have learned many things .

in my aquarium no fish use to fight before or even now also so i think that the fins are not torn because of fighting may be some other reasons are their like -water quality problem.
I don't know of any disease that makes the fins appear ripped; that's typically interaction with other fish or hard/sharp surfaces in the aquarium. If this one fish is jumping, it could be water quality but some fish just do this, esp if they're being chased (think; ripped fins) or the area is too small. I don't remember from earlier posts but have you tested for ammonia? In such a small volume of water, the ammonia can spike quite quickly, hence why you either have more volume or have much smaller fish. Do you have access to tropical fish where you live, as opposed to goldfish? It would probably be a lot easier for you, even if the principles of fish husbandry are the same.

You should get a test kit (API brand, NOT the strips but the solutions) and test your water. I'm not the best expert here but those that are will be asking for parameters before they can help. I think sissy already did, actually. You say you cannot afford a test kit but you're buying the medicines; wouldn't it be better to just buy the test kit and not waste your money on something you might not need?

In your 'research' for fish, have you not come across info relating to raising fish in SMALL environments? That is what you should be looking for as that is your situation. It's a lot harder to keep 'typical' fish when their environment is not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
She can’t find a test kit locally, and at 14, can’t get them online right now. She’s been trying to find a kit, she’s in India, and has asked repeatedly for advice on a kit she can afford. I’m willing to bet at her age, she doesn’t have a credit/ debit card, or a job to afford to buy a kit. Read her profile, and all her posts. It gives a lot of info if you read through the lines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is the plywood tank build. You can size it to fit where you need it to go.
Jamie; if she can't afford a test kit, I doubt she has the means to get the supplies she'd need for a plywood tank. And from all her responses, I doubt any current ability to build one. You can't cut corners when you're doing this and the ramifications of the build leaking would be disastrous. She's better either keeping much smaller fish and working the environment she has or getting a larger pre-made aquarium. I'd opt for the former since she seems intent on working that path anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
neha; please get a test kit and check up on your water, both in the aquarium and the source. THEN we can begin to really help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I put it out there if she can do it, and stressed the need for the right materials. I know some of it is expensive, but having lived in poverty most of my life, I also know how to reuse what I’ve got. It could be done on a smaller scale, using items she finds or has on hand, plus the marine safe coating. I’ve never been to India, but I bet she could get wood, and if she can find the rest, it’s doable. This is also a project she can save up for. It’s an idea, not an immediate solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
She can’t find a test kit locally, and at 14, can’t get them online right now. She’s been trying to find a kit, she’s in India, and has asked repeatedly for advice on a kit she can afford. I’m willing to bet at her age, she doesn’t have a credit/ debit card, or a job to afford to buy a kit. Read her profile, and all her posts. It gives a lot of info if you read through the lines.
that may all be true, Jamie, but how then are we to help? More like guessing and hoping, educated though the guesses might be.

Short of starting over and giving her a fool-proof guide on how to keep fish, something here has to give. She's throwing darts now with the garlic soaking, etc. I mean, I raised a lot of tropicals in many size aquariums when I was growing up, had some issues and at the time, didn't know what I was really doing. Sometimes I had books that I used to get an idea, then I treated. Other times, the fish died and I chalked it up to a lesson learned, whatever it was.

She's wanting us to determine issues from insufficient data (including pics as the ones posted don't show what she's describing --the black lines, etc), and doing so in a totally insufficient environment. People have micro aquariums (usually saltwater, btw) and they're EXPERTS doing it, not beginners. They KNOW what to do, what to look for. You can't have success in fringe areas like this unless you DO understand. I don't see that here, so she's better off starting over with NEW, SMALL (and I mean when fully grown) tropical fish, with a dedicated filter that can be easily cleaned. And she still has to have SOME knowledge of exactly the water quality she's starting with. If the source water is high/low in anything, it's going to affect her aquarium. And how is she to know that if not without a test kit? Or at least info from some knowledgeable person who knows these answers. Maybe her water is so off parameter that she's going to need ph balancers, gh/kh additions/subtractions. Only she's going to know this (or someone in her region). Too many variables and I feel her pain because she cares about her fish but it doesn't seem that her pet supply place is being anything but un-helpful. Not a good place to be.

She needs someone in her country that has had success to at least give her a fighting chance/starting point, be it aquarium size or water parameters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agreed, which is why I posted in another thread to see if we had anyone in her area or that had lived there that can point her in the right direction. I am just trying to help her find a way to keep them alive until she can find a solution or get a kit.

Reaction score
Country
India
This is another good resource to watch. She does fancy goldfish, I watch a lot of her videos.
i
I’d say chop the garlic small, or ask your mom to mince it for you. For just three fish, I’d offer just three small pieces at first, what they don’t eat after 5 min, remove. If they eat it, offer more. I’m not sure how others prepare it. But yes, raw.
thank you so much . i gave them garlic and they have gone mad for it and are asking for more

Reaction score
Country
India
I don't know of any disease that makes the fins appear ripped; that's typically interaction with other fish or hard/sharp surfaces in the aquarium. If this one fish is jumping, it could be water quality but some fish just do this, esp if they're being chased (think; ripped fins) or the area is too small. I don't remember from earlier posts but have you tested for ammonia? In such a small volume of water, the ammonia can spike quite quickly, hence why you either have more volume or have much smaller fish. Do you have access to tropical fish where you live, as opposed to goldfish? It would probably be a lot easier for you, even if the principles of fish husbandry are the same.

You should get a test kit (API brand, NOT the strips but the solutions) and test your water. I'm not the best expert here but those that are will be asking for parameters before they can help. I think sissy already did, actually. You say you cannot afford a test kit but you're buying the medicines; wouldn't it be better to just buy the test kit and not waste your money on something you might not need?

In your 'research' for fish, have you not come across info relating to raising fish in SMALL environments? That is what you should be looking for as that is your situation. It's a lot harder to keep 'typical' fish when their environment is not.

Thank you so much for your reply .if possible can you please suggest me any test kit as there are different types of it .I will surely buy them if they are available in any other pet store as they are not available in my pet store

Ask a Question