Unnecessary guest on my fish fins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah, okay, I see. Your idea of totes is the best re $$. Would need an aeration pump/stones provided for each to make sure there's both movement and enough surface agitation to help with oxygen mixing. I don't think I'd bother with a filter unless something could be set up to service all of them as the cost might get prohibitive. Having some plants would help with the gf but prob not with the koi as the koi will probably eat them. Unless some screen/mesh was put around the roots (floaters). For the plants, you'd need some light, artificial or natural. And of course, feed sparingly. No doubt water changes will have to be done with such a small setup, but I'd never do more than 1/3 at a time, taking into account the possible chlorine/chloramine situation of the water source. If ONLY chlorine, a separate tub can be had to off-gas the chlorine for 24-48 hours. If the source has chloramines too, you'd need the anti-chlor from the pet supply.

The basic idea is as much volume as you can, minimize feeding, have plants to help filter (for the gf) and prob some sort of diy filter setup for the koi. And lots of water movement via an aerator or the filter pump.

As for a diy filter; I made one out of a 5 gallon pail once. You need basic plumbing parts to outlet the filter at the bottom through a connected hose. The pail can be filled with bio balls/plastic shreddings/lava rock for the bio part and placed on top of all that, some filter floss/mesh/sponge etc to catch the main debris (which would have to be cleaned regularly as it clogged). The water would then be pumped from the pond/tote, into the pail, flow through the filter media, and out through the outlet hose at the bottom and back into the pond/tote. Either have two outlets/+hoses at the bottom or one 'twice as large as the inlet hose'. For my purposes (I was housing turtles indoors) I had the tote INSIDE and over the tote/pool/pond just in case it clogged and overflowed. A kiddy pool is what I used and would recommend here, IF you can get one, as the volume and surface area would work in your favor. I have no idea how much space you actually have for this pool, but totes should be easy enough to find room for.

The largest problem imo, is too small a living area for too-large of a fish/fish load. The gf would be fine, and I'd stick with those unless you can get a larger pond some day.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Michael

Reaction score
Country
India
You know your situation and abilities best. If you can’t get a bigger set up, or a second set up, and have no one you can give fish to, selling them is their best chance. They may go to someone who does know, and can care for them well.
yep so i will give them back to aquarium back but im really confused which one should i give

Reaction score
Country
India
If I'm reading your posts corectly, you have at least 1 koi that is 12" long, and other fish in 6.6 gallons of water? I don't know that you'll ever have success if this is true. A larger water environment is essential or reduce the fish count to one small fish. Even that seems cruel. Koi grow large, gf can be but are a better bet for an aquarium, but not at the size you have.

You never answered exactly Meyer's questions, which would clarify what a possible solution might be.

btw, without knowing the water quality being used, IF it's just chlorine, it can be dissipated by air exposure, 24 hours or so. If it contains Chloramines, the airing out process won't help you as it sometimes takes up to a month and then, there's still remnants. If the latter, you should use the anti-chlor.

If you're finding you have to do drastic water changes to keep the fish alive, you're doing something wrong, be it overcrowding or over feeding or not enough water movement or not enough oxygen in the water, or...you see the point. You shouldn't have to do this if the system is in balance. Find the imbalance and correct it.

Just mho.

not only 1 but unfortunately i have two koi fish both are of 1 feet.i have planed to move out any three fishes . In total im having five fishes- two koi fish , two goldfish and a black eye fish[ a specie of fish -but i have not heard of it just the shopkeeper of the aquarium told me]
Im worried because i don't want any fish of mine to go in a wrong hand....

Reaction score
Country
India
ah, okay, I see. Your idea of totes is the best re $$. Would need an aeration pump/stones provided for each to make sure there's both movement and enough surface agitation to help with oxygen mixing. I don't think I'd bother with a filter unless something could be set up to service all of them as the cost might get prohibitive. Having some plants would help with the gf but prob not with the koi as the koi will probably eat them. Unless some screen/mesh was put around the roots (floaters). For the plants, you'd need some light, artificial or natural. And of course, feed sparingly. No doubt water changes will have to be done with such a small setup, but I'd never do more than 1/3 at a time, taking into account the possible chlorine/chloramine situation of the water source. If ONLY chlorine, a separate tub can be had to off-gas the chlorine for 24-48 hours. If the source has chloramines too, you'd need the anti-chlor from the pet supply.

The basic idea is as much volume as you can, minimize feeding, have plants to help filter (for the gf) and prob some sort of diy filter setup for the koi. And lots of water movement via an aerator or the filter pump.

As for a diy filter; I made one out of a 5 gallon pail once. You need basic plumbing parts to outlet the filter at the bottom through a connected hose. The pail can be filled with bio balls/plastic shreddings/lava rock for the bio part and placed on top of all that, some filter floss/mesh/sponge etc to catch the main debris (which would have to be cleaned regularly as it clogged). The water would then be pumped from the pond/tote, into the pail, flow through the filter media, and out through the outlet hose at the bottom and back into the pond/tote. Either have two outlets/+hoses at the bottom or one 'twice as large as the inlet hose'. For my purposes (I was housing turtles indoors) I had the tote INSIDE and over the tote/pool/pond just in case it clogged and overflowed. A kiddy pool is what I used and would recommend here, IF you can get one, as the volume and surface area would work in your favor. I have no idea how much space you actually have for this pool, but totes should be easy enough to find room for.

The largest problem imo, is too small a living area for too-large of a fish/fish load. The gf would be fine, and I'd stick with those unless you can get a larger pond some day.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Michael
really very informative .thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Keep only what you can care for. If your tank is too small, they will suffer. So you have three options. 1) keep your favorites, and risk them due to lack of space. 2) get a bigger set up to keep them, or just your favorites, but remember, koi need a lot of space. 3) keep the set up you have now, and only the fish that will thrive in the set up you already have. That is what I would do. If you cannot get a bigger set up, then give them the best chance at a good life as you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For what is 6 almost 7 gallons, I’d recommend smaller fish. I don’t know what a black eyed fish is, but if it is a small fish, that stays small, that is worth keeping. Goldfish need 20+ gallons each, koi 100+. I have an above ground pool, 4 ft tall, 22 ft diameter circle. In it, I have 6 adult goldfish, and maybe 8 juveniles, and am raising 12 more inside to move out in spring. So I’d need over 400 gallons for the ones I have, and I’d double it when I add the babies. The best bet is to plan for what you will have, not what you already have. I’m including a picture of the volume calculation I pulled up. With what I do have, I know I need a bigger better filter, and to circulate the water better.

Attachments

• 3729960A-2419-4613-83AF-64C5AD6A30A9.png
    3729960A-2419-4613-83AF-64C5AD6A30A9.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is the pool I have, and my indoor tank. With the set up I have, once I have better filtration, I can add a few koi. As my fish breed, I’ll weed out the ones I don’t want, and nature will take its share too. Ideally, I’d like to have 2-3 koi, and maybe 10 goldfish. Just enough to keep color and movement in the pond.

Attachments

• C10BD861-F0D9-4A36-A91F-71FA74647397.jpeg
    C10BD861-F0D9-4A36-A91F-71FA74647397.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 138
  • C0190FBC-532D-4E70-B54C-4C6C57948DCE.jpeg
    C0190FBC-532D-4E70-B54C-4C6C57948DCE.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 120
  • D1EBDC5F-114B-4450-A588-5BA678FCE44F.jpeg
    D1EBDC5F-114B-4450-A588-5BA678FCE44F.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry for low lighting on aquarium pictures

Attachments

• 15D68300-5634-4527-9B3A-B474380EB21C.jpeg
    15D68300-5634-4527-9B3A-B474380EB21C.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 6BC38783-0C14-474C-B34F-3B9F00A1E416.jpeg
    6BC38783-0C14-474C-B34F-3B9F00A1E416.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 119
  • B2324799-4DB9-42DB-8A55-94DBC97D0213.jpeg
    B2324799-4DB9-42DB-8A55-94DBC97D0213.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 1B9E2F5F-AB4B-45DD-B750-BFD60E86167E.jpeg
    1B9E2F5F-AB4B-45DD-B750-BFD60E86167E.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 120
  • CD54B5C2-9B88-4977-83E8-79DDCFCF6026.jpeg
    CD54B5C2-9B88-4977-83E8-79DDCFCF6026.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Country
India
Keep only what you can care for. If your tank is too small, they will suffer. So you have three options. 1) keep your favorites, and risk them due to lack of space. 2) get a bigger set up to keep them, or just your favorites, but remember, koi need a lot of space. 3) keep the set up you have now, and only the fish that will thrive in the set up you already have. That is what I would do. If you cannot get a bigger set up, then give them the best chance at a good life as you can.

I have decided to get a new setup and i will put some fishes in that and the two koi fish in the old one .
thanks

Reaction score
Country
India
This is the pool I have, and my indoor tank. With the set up I have, once I have better filtration, I can add a few koi. As my fish breed, I’ll weed out the ones I don’t want, and nature will take its share too. Ideally, I’d like to have 2-3 koi, and maybe 10 goldfish. Just enough to keep color and movement in the pond.

I really like the idea of your pond
your orange koi if very pretty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My cats can’t get to the fish. The pool outside is set up so they can’t reach them, and they aren’t able to get at the aquarium because I have too many plants around it. The cat in that picture is actually behind a window.

Reaction score
Country
India
My cats can’t get to the fish. The pool outside is set up so they can’t reach them, and they aren’t able to get at the aquarium because I have too many plants around it. The cat in that picture is actually behind a window.
ohh...
good idea

Ask a Question