Unnecessary guest on my fish fins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have decided to get a new setup and i will put some fishes in that and the two koi fish in the old one .
thanks
neha; a large point of this discussion is that you understand koi grow to be very LARGE fish and you should have in the area of 100 gallons (400 L) per fish. If your 'old' system is the 6.6 gallon (25 L), it will be entirely too small and demand such a large amount of maintenance that the fish will suffer. The pics you posted of the fantail goldfish should be okay, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have to agree that the koi tank is too small. You’ll have to keep on the water quality to keep them alive. As soon as you can, if you want to keep them, get a bigger (200 gal, or more) pool set up. Stock tanks, medium wading pool, something along those lines will work. If you look on some of the other threads, they talk about how they made their ponds, if you have a yard you can do that in. You can dig down, or build up sides. If you dig, move the dirt to the sides to build walls. That way you only have to dig 1/2-2/3rds the depth you want to go. I’d say 2-3 ft deep is good, unless you have predators in the area, then go 4 ft deep in the center, and offer places they can hide in.

Reaction score
Country
India
neha; a large point of this discussion is that you understand koi grow to be very LARGE fish and you should have in the area of 100 gallons (400 L) per fish. If your 'old' system is the 6.6 gallon (25 L), it will be entirely too small and demand such a large amount of maintenance that the fish will suffer. The pics you posted of the fantail goldfish should be okay, though.

i gave my two koi back to aquarium

Reaction score
Country
India
I have to agree that the koi tank is too small. You’ll have to keep on the water quality to keep them alive. As soon as you can, if you want to keep them, get a bigger (200 gal, or more) pool set up. Stock tanks, medium wading pool, something along those lines will work. If you look on some of the other threads, they talk about how they made their ponds, if you have a yard you can do that in. You can dig down, or build up sides. If you dig, move the dirt to the sides to build walls. That way you only have to dig 1/2-2/3rds the depth you want to go. I’d say 2-3 ft deep is good, unless you have predators in the area, then go 4 ft deep in the center, and offer places they can hide in.

can you please suggest me something after seeing the pictures .The goldfish's fins are also turning black and her fins are torn also. That ' s a black eye fish whose body is now fill with black lines. please suggest me some medicines which are not much costly and are easily available also i have given my two koi back to aquarium as you all suggested.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry you had to give them up, but it may be better for them. If you want koi, you’ll need to know what they need space wise first, and be ready. Ideally, the pond/ tank should be cycled at least a week first, with out any fish. That gives the beneficial bacteria time to get established. If you can YouTube, look up how to build an aquarium from plywood, by the king of DIY. It’s a guy from Canada, who does this as his job. Watch a few episodes of his shows, and if you can get the stuff, you can build a tank on your own, big enough for them. You could even build it so you have a seat to watch them, or something along those lines, if you can figure out a good design. It is very important to use the marine grade sealant, or it can harm the fish. This may be a project for you to save up for, and just keep it in mind until you can build it. We wish you the best of luck. Stay in the community here, learn all you can till the day you are ready.

Reaction score
Country
India
Sorry you had to give them up, but it may be better for them. If you want koi, you’ll need to know what they need space wise first, and be ready. Ideally, the pond/ tank should be cycled at least a week first, with out any fish. That gives the beneficial bacteria time to get established. If you can YouTube, look up how to build an aquarium from plywood, by the king of DIY. It’s a guy from Canada, who does this as his job. Watch a few episodes of his shows, and if you can get the stuff, you can build a tank on your own, big enough for them. You could even build it so you have a seat to watch them, or something along those lines, if you can figure out a good design. It is very important to use the marine grade sealant, or it can harm the fish. This may be a project for you to save up for, and just keep it in mind until you can build it. We wish you the best of luck. Stay in the community here, learn all you can till the day you are ready.
thank you very much .I hope they get a better family

Reaction score
Country
India
can anyone please suggest me that how many types of water test kit are there and about them, cost and the better one which i could afford also...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You need to know what the problem is first. I don’t know what meds you can get, or just what would cause black lines. Can you do daily water changes? I’d add some salt to the water, and when my fish had parasites, I did salt, Melafix, which has tea tree oil, the fish didn’t like, but it worked. And I added some aloe gel to the water as well. I’m thinking it would either be an infection, or something toxic in the water. You need to test your water. Can the place you took the koi to test it for you? A lot of pet stores here do that for little or no charge. If it is an infection, you’ll need aquatic antibiotics, and frequent water changes. Try crushing garlic real small for them to eat, I just read that it helps with immune system and others goldfish and koi liked it. I’ll be doing that for my adults in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Most test kits cover 5 subjects, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and I forget 5th thing. I’ll ask the others to pitch in. I don’t know costs out there, I’m in the US. There may be members here who have been or still live in your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can you please suggest me something after seeing the pictures .The goldfish's fins are also turning black and her fins are torn also. That ' s a black eye fish whose body is now fill with black lines. please suggest me some medicines which are not much costly and are easily available also i have given my two koi back to aquarium as you all suggested.......
neha;

from the pics you posted, I don't see anything obviously wrong with the fish. Gf are known to change color and the black I see looks like it is fading, not covering more fish. Fish fins can be torn just by interaction with other fish. You'll have to observe to see if one is picking on another. In an aquarium that is too small, this is more likely to happen. Gf though, tend not to be that aggressive unless it's mating season. I'd not put any medicines in until you're sure there is a disease/pest problem. The fantails should be okay in a smaller aquarium as they grow slow and don't get that large, but you still have to watch the water quality and make sure you don't overfeed. If you have live plants in the aquarium, they will help with water quality. If you have a filter that has both mechanical and biological functionality, I'd use it.

A fish with a black eye doesn't have to mean there's a problem. I have several gf with this trait and they're fine. If you can, take a better pic of the fish with the black lines as from the above, I don't see the issue. You can catch your fish in a net and gently hold them sideways out of the water to take your pic. Keep the fish over the aquarium/tub when you do, just in case.

If your aim is to keep a small aquarium, research and purchase fish that stay small and aren't aggressive toward one another or other fish. As noted earlier, the larger the volume of water, the easier the maintenance job becomes.

Please spend some time doing the research (google) necessary to attain your goal. Don't just rush in without some knowledge (i.e. koi as pets) because that's how problems multiply.

Reaction score
Country
India
neha;

from the pics you posted, I don't see anything obviously wrong with the fish. Gf are known to change color and the black I see looks like it is fading, not covering more fish. Fish fins can be torn just by interaction with other fish. You'll have to observe to see if one is picking on another. In an aquarium that is too small, this is more likely to happen. Gf though, tend not to be that aggressive unless it's mating season. I'd not put any medicines in until you're sure there is a disease/pest problem. The fantails should be okay in a smaller aquarium as they grow slow and don't get that large, but you still have to watch the water quality and make sure you don't overfeed. If you have live plants in the aquarium, they will help with water quality. If you have a filter that has both mechanical and biological functionality, I'd use it.

A fish with a black eye doesn't have to mean there's a problem. I have several gf with this trait and they're fine. If you can, take a better pic of the fish with the black lines as from the above, I don't see the issue. You can catch your fish in a net and gently hold them sideways out of the water to take your pic. Keep the fish over the aquarium/tub when you do, just in case.

If your aim is to keep a small aquarium, research and purchase fish that stay small and aren't aggressive toward one another or other fish. As noted earlier, the larger the volume of water, the easier the maintenance job becomes.

Please spend some time doing the research (google) necessary to attain your goal. Don't just rush in without some knowledge (i.e. koi as pets) because that's how problems multiply.

thanks for your reply .
if there is nothing wrong with my black eye fish and now i have maintained the water quality good too , then why is she jumping out of water.
my mom use to scold me now as i am always on google , searching about fishes , diseases , and about other animals too.
when i was 11 years old from that time on wards i had started researching about fishes and their diseases and from their i have learned many things .

in my aquarium no fish use to fight before or even now also so i think that the fins are not torn because of fighting may be some other reasons are their like -water quality problem.

Reaction score
Country
India
You need to know what the problem is first. I don’t know what meds you can get, or just what would cause black lines. Can you do daily water changes? I’d add some salt to the water, and when my fish had parasites, I did salt, Melafix, which has tea tree oil, the fish didn’t like, but it worked. And I added some aloe gel to the water as well. I’m thinking it would either be an infection, or something toxic in the water. You need to test your water. Can the place you took the koi to test it for you? A lot of pet stores here do that for little or no charge. If it is an infection, you’ll need aquatic antibiotics, and frequent water changes. Try crushing garlic real small for them to eat, I just read that it helps with immune system and others goldfish and koi liked it. I’ll be doing that for my adults in spring.

really thanks for your reply..
i asked my pet store but they don't have any test kit nor they do water test for any costumer.
I'am ready to do water changes if its really needed .
should i give raw garlic to my fish as they don't have any teeth to chew it and will it not dirty my water ..?

Reaction score
Country
India
would it be OK if i soak my fish food [tiny red color balls] in garlic juice prepared at home and give it to my fish . i have not tried it yet.

Ask a Question