update on aqueduct

SE18

David V
Reaction score
First off, I want to thank one of the forum members for checking up on me as I haven't posted in a while due to a number of projects I've been working on. BTW, this is absolutely the friendliest forum I've ever been on (a close second would be a beagle forum I've posted to a while back).

So there are birds outside now (winter birds), drinking from canal and splashing around having a great time.

I've been spending many hours cutting tiles and casting tiles (I'm casting concrete and for a second method I'm using a wet tile saw to cut slate and tiles someone threw away--several different techniques; to face the outside of the concrete that comprises the aqueduct.

I'm about 20% finished with this process but with the cold setting in, the mixture of concrete/thinset (2:1) won't set up properly with frost.

Here's some pictures, I think you can see the new tile section in one of them; will try later to get a closer up

DaveV

Attachments

• 121017leaves7.jpg
    121017leaves7.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 121017leaves9.jpg
    121017leaves9.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 694
  • leaves6.jpg
    leaves6.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 437

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Geeze all those tiles you have done 1 by 1 .I posted a train I made.I got inspired by your trains but this one is just wood and does not work ,just something I tried .WELCOME BACK AND GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Attachments

• pics october 2012 076.JPG
    pics october 2012 076.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 319

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks, everyone. Sissy, that is really neat! You are very talented and creative. Some gnomes riding the train would complete the scene.

One of the good things about garden waterways and trains is they're never finished. Once the tiling is completed, I'm planning on extending the tracks, building more trains and making cute mini scenes like buildings with dollhouse figures and interiors that can stand up to the elements or prototypically blow over like some of the recent storms did to folks in the Northeast.

Craig, this video I posted here a few months ago, the outside facing of aqueduct was still unfaced at the time.

I'll eventually take more photos and videos but it would be pretty boring to post updates on tile work as it is so time consuming.

2 more snaps

Attachments

• 121017 leaves5.jpg
    121017 leaves5.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 285
  • leaves 121017.jpg
    leaves 121017.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 283

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your camera really picks up the vivid colors of everything .I like the little car add .Where does that spigot empty water into .Does your dog ever follow the train or take it off the track .Could make it into a bunny train he can chase .Exercise :razz: I belong to the train sight for the old time trains in PA and they have some great old pics and even some video's .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi Sissy,

The hounds seem scared of the train. If I put some bunny ears on it or a squirrel suit, they'd definitely be interested! I once put a large dog bone on a flatcar and they chased the train to get the bone.

The waterway system is complex. I need to post a diagram at some point.

Basically, it starts in a small pond where the pump is located and the hose goes to the top of a hill where there's another small pond. The water from that small pond flows down a steep stream and cascades in a small waterfall into another small pond. Then water from that small pond goes over 2 small waterfalls into the aqueduct. The aqueduct empties its water in at least 2 places (the spigot being the smaller) into the canal, a portion of which lies under the aqueduct. Beside getting water from the aqueduct, btw, the canal also gets fresh water from the roof drainspout every time it rains and that gets sent to the canal via a stream. Then, the entire canal system empties into another canal via a small waterfalls. That extension of the canal returns all the water to the small pond where the pump is located. The canal, btw, has its own mini pond.

The entire complex is made of thousands of pounds of concrete except for the topmost pond, which is a large black hardplastic cement mixer.

A diagram would probably best explain the system. You couldn't capture it in a photo because it goes around the building and parts are blocked by vegetation.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention, I'm also going to build an aerial cablecar. They're both solar but I'm gonnna convert one to battery for cloudy days. They will go over the pond.

Here's the train I build chasing the hound. I designed my own remote control system using a motorboat ESC (which controls speed)

here it is on the track

it plows snow in winter

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You do such nice work David and love the fall colors! That would have been fun to see the pups chasing after that bone :razz:
Glad you made it back here safely and you were just busy w/ your hobby.

Ask a Question