Update on my parents house project

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well we are making progress. I have 13 of the cabinets face done, a few more to go. We have the boards up on a few of the walls. Window casings are stained. Amy has been a big help with helping me mill up over 300 boards so far. I made a jig to straighten the boards then had to shiplap them, we did 100 of them today.

Here is the milling jig

IMG_2531.JPG

Here is the draw faces and a large door

IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG

Here is the front room that is the most finished so far

IMG_2561.JPG

My mother wanted a warm plate holder and could not find one she liked where the bear theme, so I made one in my spare time ;)

IMG_2521.JPG

Here is a sunflower by the pond that grew from bird seed, a lucky one the deer did not eat, quick shot with the iPhone

IMG_2528.JPG

Another of the house

IMG_2562.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, you made a warming plate?! You are ingenious :) I bet your parents are so appreciative of your and Amy's efforts.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
May I ask, before you started burnt dremeling, did you have artistic skill would you say?
I could never bear (PUUUUUN!!!!!!) hand something like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great job on the cabin. I liked they way you are lapping the siding. That's cool you guys are doing it all yourselves. We sided a house with toasted redwood (shou sugi ban) and had to choose between lap, and tongue and groove. The owners ordered lap but there were a few problem boards that twisted when we installed them vertically and fastened them only on the lap. To fix them our carpenters found some really tiny head screws to hold in the face of the boards and the owners were happy.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're doing a great job there - I love the jig :D. I bought some of those same hold-down clamps a while back and really like them for jobs like this.

Did you make the router table yourself? It's a nice size!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are definitely skilled at this work too (fantastic photographer also) and everything is turning out so nice! Love the hot plate :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, you made a warming plate?! You are ingenious :) I bet your parents are so appreciative of your and Amy's efforts.
Thanks, it only holds a warm plate. It does not heat anything up. I cut clevis pins to keep the direct heat off the wood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
May I ask, before you started burnt dremeling, did you have artistic skill would you say?
I could never bear (PUUUUUN!!!!!!) hand something like that.
I guess I have always had some artistic skill but however I only use the router free hand. I have the picture on the wood before I start. There are a few ways to transfer a image with carbon paper or adhesive etc. Basically like tracing an outline, you just have to be very careful to stay in the lines.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Ask a Question