Using rocks

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I was having trouble with my Shubunkins removing and playing with the pee size round gravel I had used to secure the potting mix in my potted aqautic plants. I was finding the gravel all over the bottom of my pond.

I ended up finding some 3/4" diameter rocks and replacing all of the pee gravel that I had used before with the new rocks. Now the Shubunkins will poke and fuss with the 3/4" size rocks, but they can't seem to move them around. This resolved my problem of having pee gravel all over the bottom of my pond. I wasn't able to remove all of the pee gravel form the bottom by hand, but it seems to give the Shubunkins something to fuss around with.

Has anyone else had this problem, or come up with another solution? Just curious.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and solved it the same way.....Bigger rocks. If you think about it you don't want rocks in the pond small enough for the fish to fit in its mouth. I had a koi last year that it's mouth got stuck open. When it finally passed I checked its mouth for rocks. None were found but other people have had koi get rocks stuck in their mouth.:grumble:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have in the beginning used pea gravel in plants ,,,you learn to use larger rocks the koi cant pick up..

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have observed my Shubunkins picking up the pee gravel form the potted plants and from the bottom all along. I have noticed also that they always seem to spit the rock out.

Ask a Question