Using roof water to fill pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently gone onto a water meter so now watch even more carefully how much mains water I use. As we get a lot of rain here in our so called summer and as this is the time of the year when I need to back flush my filter weekly and then replace this 'lost' amount, I was wondering if I could utilise the free water that falls from the sky and onto my extensive roof to top up my pond each week? It could be piped into the pond and allowed to overflow into the garden or stored in awaited butt. The pond overflows naturally when it's raining, but the roof water would be a useful source. Any thoughts please? Thanks for looking in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use roof water, we are out in the country, pretty rural. Been doing it since 2010 with no noticeable issues.
When we do get rain the pond gets a great water turn over. I have only shubunkins/gold fish.

There are some that will say fine others will say no way, don't use roof water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As addy1 alluded to, it depends on location. Rural and even some suburban areas should experience only a slight chance of a problem, but in urban areas especially industrialized urban areas and the attached suburbia rain will inevitably accumulate pollutants from the atmosphere as it falls. These pollutants could very well cause issues with a pond's overall health to varying degrees depending on the chemical composition of these pollutants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
That's good news then, I'm out in the country in a small village surrounded by open countryside with no industry for miles. Was just curious as to whether anything could be dissolved into the water from the tiles, but guess the water would be on them for a minimal amount of time. Plus they are almost 100 years old and they have had a fair amount of rain fall on them during that time! Another project for the list.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As addy1 alluded to, it depends on location. Rural and even some suburban areas should experience only a slight chance of a problem, but in urban areas especially industrialized urban areas and the attached suburbia rain will inevitably accumulate pollutants from the atmosphere as it falls. These pollutants could very well cause issues with a pond's overall health to varying degrees depending on the chemical composition of these pollutants.
Agreed

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You won't have a problem. I've used rain water from my water butts for years without a problem.
And in the UK we've had plenty of rain so far this summer!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
CJH, thanks for another thumbs up.
To elaborate a little, I have large water butts collecting water from various sources around my property, but none from the biggest catchment, the house, as siting them is impractical due to the situation of the only mains water drain for current roof outfall. The second house downspout discharges into a soakaway, but as you rightly point out we get a lot of rain....so much so on some days the water forces itself back out of the lowest joints of that downspout in a circular fountain and also up through the block paving of the pathway. Fortunately, it's sited close to the pond, so I thought an ideal spot for a big butt! I could easily use the contents for refilling the pond after filter cleaning. That's the plan anyway.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run the gutter drains from our metal roof shop and 1/2 of our asphalt roofed house right into the pond. No issues with the frogs, tads, fish etc. Been doing it this way since 2010.

Again we are rural, we do have farm fields around, they do no aerial spraying. I spray nothing in our yard, most of our neighbors do no spraying. We all ignore dandelions, clover etc, which is great for my bees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I did the same with water running to the pond from the roof. This is the second year and I have seen no problem yet. We live in a small city though.

Ask a Question