UV light recommendations

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're right! We hooked it up just a couple of days ago and I already almost see the bottom!
I love this uv and I want to thanks everyone who recommended it!

Reaction score
Take a look at the American Aquarium web site and take a look at their article on UV lights. It explains why they are all not the same. Also watch the video

Reaction score
Take a look at the American Aquarium web site and take a look at their article on UV lights. It explains why they are all not the same. Also watch the video
I had a look at the American Aquarium website but couldn't find any information about UV lights, however the OP seems to have already had very positive results with that inexpensive Jebao UV clarifier. According to that video the 30 watt American Aquarium unit cost more than 3 times as much as the 50 watt Jebao unit.

Reaction score
I had a look at the American Aquarium website but couldn't find any information about UV lights, however the OP seems to have already had very positive results with that inexpensive Jebao UV clarifier. According to that video the 30 watt American Aquarium unit cost more than 3 times as much as the 50 watt Jebao unit.
Here is the link
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

As far as cost goes, who knows but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. No matter what brand you still have to replace the bulb but that's the cheapest part.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is the link
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

As far as cost goes, who knows but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. No matter what brand you still have to replace the bulb but that's the cheapest part.

UV within a certain frequency range does not reduce oxidative stress as the author of the linked article claims, rather it increases oxidative stress. This is what kills the target organisms. At least that is what all of the scientific papers on the subject state.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Well, finally I am going to be able to finish my pond filter system. I have a 3500-4000 gallon, 16'x20'. Using a Xtreme bio filter sized accordingly with a 1 hp pool pump. I am a little overpowered with the pump, but intend to install a bypass with pressure control valve to keep it at 10-12 psig. I am still confused about using a UV clarifier as I read were some say they don't work, to others that swear by them, any thoughts?

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only thing I know about them is you have to control the water flow through them. Too much flow and they do not do their "thang". The flow rate is probably on each UV that you purchase.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Which model Xtreme filter do you have? 10-12 psi seems to be quite large for any Pressure filter. Do you know the flow rate (gph) of your pump? A simple ball valve may solve any flow problems.

Not an ardent fan of UVs so I can't help you there/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
If I could get the image to post, it's a model SP0714TC. The pressure (optimum) was given to me by them 10-12 psig. It requires 3500-4500 gph. The pump I have does around 4800 gph at what pressure I don't know as I don't have the pump curve here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
My plan is to install (eventually) a UV on the discharge side of the filter with a valve on inlet, and outlet. That will allow retention time for the water, and this may be what I am reading into comments from others about Uv clarifiers not working. I prefer, and do use water lettuce, but that stuff here is $4 a piece.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My plan is to install (eventually) a UV on the discharge side of the filter with a valve on inlet, and outlet. That will allow retention time for the water, and this may be what I am reading into comments from others about Uv clarifiers not working. I prefer, and do use water lettuce, but that stuff here is $4 a piece.

With your present system configuration you need a separate dedicated line for the UV. A low flow rate is essential for these devices.

Seagate does not list that Model number on there website.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
20170130_103433.jpg
I couldn't find this number either on their website, but I did contact them, that's the response I got, 10-12 psig. I've had the filter for almost two years, never been in service. I hope to get it in service this weekend, thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What they should be telling you is the maximum flow rate (gph) for this filter otherwise how would anyone know what size pump to purchase. Psi is determined to a point by flow rate, but the main controlling factor is the inner plumbing of the pressure filter.
And that 10 - 12 psi that they are giving you is the maximum pressure that this filter will withstand.

Ask a Question