UV light recommendations

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get the "grape" reference now. I wish I had looked a little closer at the snot. They are quite beautiful. Just not in my pond.
It looks like Nostoc is Anabaena surrounded by snot. They say it prettier in the link of course.
Is the fact that it dries to a black thick sheaf of paper specific to these or is that a common reaction when it dries out?
It seems to indicate that high phosphorus can be a culprit in producing it. So I would gather than regular water testing would be smart to see if I start getting indications of it again.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I get the "grape" reference now. I wish I had looked a little closer at the snot. They are quite beautiful. Just not in my pond.
It looks like Nostoc is Anabaena surrounded by snot. They say it prettier in the link of course.
Is the fact that it dries to a black thick sheaf of paper specific to these or is that a common reaction when it dries out?
It seems to indicate that high phosphorus can be a culprit in producing it. So I would gather than regular water testing would be smart to see if I start getting indications of it again.

Phosphorus is probably one of my most typed words in this Forum. Reduce (not eliminate) the Phosphorus level and you will control algae growth regardless of Nitrate levels.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Phosphorus is probably one of my most typed words in this Forum. Reduce (not eliminate) the Phosphorus level and you will control algae growth regardless of Nitrate levels.

See I would have thought it was "fine" as in "all my levels are fine". Lol
Since I am just now starting to test my water, I will really start paying attention to the whole nitrogen cycle and what causes spikes in phosphorus.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Anabaena is the more common. Here is a link to more photos of Nostoc which I find to be the more interesting of the two.
http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices...cysts/vis_sheath/NOSTOC/Nostoc_Image_page.htm

I clicked you link @Meyer Jordan . Got a message "The requested URL /phycokey/Choices/Cyanobacteria/cyano_filaments/cyano_unbranched_fil/untapered_filaments/heterocysts/vis_sheath/NOSTOC/Nostoc_Image_page.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request"

Can you please check your link? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@tbendl , "best way to prevent HABs is to reduce the amount of nutrients that enter the water body in the first place. Be aware, algaecides treating cyanobacteria has a "risk of cell lyses and the release of toxins; thus, is often used at the early stages of a bloom." https://www.epa.gov/nutrient-policy-data/control-and-treatment

Be aware @tbendl , your phosphate test results will only show you the available phosphates. This will not included the phosphates already consumed nor yet to be dissolved in water.

Good to do these tests, ensuring a density of flora, as well as possible preventative maintenance even though phosphates may appear low. Although, this may not be, or is less, necessary the more familiar you become with your pond over time.

I'm surprised you keep referring to cyanobacteria as an algae when you seem to be concerned about the correct terminology of things.

EPA - "Also, even though they are classified as bacteria, cyanobacteria exhibit characteristics of algae and are associated with HABs (Harmful Algal Blooms). EPA researchers are looking for ways to eliminate or reduce the negative effects of HABs on human health and the environment." - https://www.epa.gov/water-research/harmful-algal-blooms-cyanobacteria

Treatment methods of cyanobacteria, while still classifed as an algae bloom even though it is a bacteria. DISCLAIMER: U.S. EPA does not endorse any of the techniques presented on this page. https://www.epa.gov/nutrient-policy-data/control-and-treatment . Be aware, algaecides treating cyanobacteria has a "risk of cell lyses and the release of toxins; thus, is often used at the early stages of a bloom."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use a UV and freely admit my pond is higher maintenance, but I enjoy caring for my pond, and look forward to it all winter.
Does your UV run all the time, or do you turn it on and off as needed??

I ran mine for a week last year, until the water cleared, and didn't turn it back on until last weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Does your UV run all the time, or do you turn it on and off as needed??

I ran mine for a week last year, until the water cleared, and didn't turn it back on until last weekend!
I just plug it in and leave it on. Mine fits inside the skimmer.

Ask a Question