UV Sterilizer

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
hoping i can get some help selecting a UV sterilizer to help control alge.

my pond is still under construction, but once filled i figure it'll hold about 1100 gallons. it'll be in sunlight at least 80% of the day. my pump is a 950 gal/hr and filter will be the 70 gal "skippy" rig overflowing through a waterfall.

i've looked at various UV units but don't know enough to select one that'll work well in my situation without me paying too much or getting something that i won't be able to find parts for in the future.

any help?

thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm sure Waterbug will be along shortly to answer the technical aspects of your question, however in the meantime I wanted to make sure you understand exactly what a UV filter does. The packaging will claim that in control the algae in your pond, but what they usually do not tell you is that UV only controls one type of algae... the microscopic algae that floats in the water and causes the typical green-water effect (where your pond will look neon-green and you can't see more than a few inches deep). The UV filter does a great job of controlling this particular algae, because as the water flows through your pumps and filters, it is sterilized. On the other hand, you will have many other types of algae growing in your pond. Most common is string-algae, and the type that floats on the surface in areas where you have no water flow - and a UV filter will not help with either of these problems.

Not trying to discourage you from using a UV filter, just want to make sure you understand what it will actually do for you.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for a 1100 gal pond and a 950 gph pump ...a 9 watter should more than suffice... i used a 9 watt TETRAPOND and my pond is 1200 gals and i fed it with a 1000 gph pump. my pond is in full sun from sun up til 7-8pm. now the U.V will only tackle green water algeas not the string type. and you need only run a U.V till the water clears then turn it off...theres no need to run a U.V 24/7

Reaction score
Combine the UV light with a hamster ball of barley straw and you've pretty much eliminated the MAJOR algae outbreaks. Put the hamster ball in as soon as you start your pond. Turn on the UV when the water first starts to turn green. The barley will have started decomposing by the time the string algae cycle starts.

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
taking down all this info...thanks!

is there a particular manufacturer that's known for value? i found el-cheapos on ebay and very expensive models at the various internet shops. i don't mind paying for quality as long as it doesn't get too crazy.

Reaction score
I've been using an 18 watt Jebao off of Ebay for 2 years. I paid $75. I figure that if I get 2 years off of 1 UV with no bulb change, then it paid for itself.

Reaction score
Jerry In Maine, I have a UV light that I bought used (1 year old) for my 1200 gallon pond,plus bought a new bulb. I used it for a month. (after building this pond, I quickly realized that I wanted it bigger and go figure the UV light was too small for my new 4000 gallon pond. I think it's an Aquascapes light, but not sure of the watts. I have to pull it out of the attic to get the details, but if you're interested just let me know. I can also send pictures. I live in NH.

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
Combine the UV light with a hamster ball of barley straw and you've pretty much eliminated the MAJOR algae outbreaks. Put the hamster ball in as soon as you start your pond.

...you take the hamster out first, correct? :wink:
(remember, i'm the newbiest of all newbies so don't assume any knowledge on my part)

Reaction score
All UVs work the same, so I'm not sure there's any big difference in different manufacturers. I like standalone units, not combo filters. Combo clogs, water to UV slows, I just don't need complexity. I like Aqua Ultraviolet. Been around a while, can get parts. Seem cheap enough to me, and they have a range of quality. I also like that they explain flow rates for sterilizer and clarifier, and just a lot more info then is easy to find with the ones marketed to people who have no clue.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a Tetrapond 9 watt UV light. Its $100 and the replacement bulbs are around $15 a piece. I put mine in my skimmer box, but my skimmer box has the set up for a UV light. I have a build thread in the DIY section showing how I did it.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think the UV bulb filament may likely be where quality comes into play.

For the heck of it, I ran my UV bulb setup for 5 months 24/7. The bulb filament accrued a very heavy mineral, some type of white material, that dramatically reduced the light of the filament. I have no idea if this is just how the filaments decay or if it was a manufacturer defect.

I have read that many folk just turn on the bulb for a week and only a couple times each year to to kill any lingering microscopic algae and allows the bulb to last many years with proper care.

Quick tip. UV will kill some beneficial bacteria. Instructions on the bacteria colonized jumpstart kits recommend turning off the UV light for a few days to allow the floating bacteria a chance to rest on surfaces where it will then colonize. I imagine this applies the same when taking water or filter squeegee liquid from an established pond.

Ask a Question