Val and I are in total shock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Did you happen to take any photos of the gills?

KHV_Gills_Eyes.jpg
khv1.jpg

Also, you might take a look at this web site and see if there are similarities:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Viral Gill Disease.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness, how awful! I'm so sorry to hear that @Dave 54, must be awful for you and Val. I hope you manage to get to the bottom if what caused it :eek::(
Mortified Becky utterly mortified , I'm going through everything we do to see if anything is different , one theory I have may be the super chilling of the ponds water due to high winds coming over from Siberia the wind's speed coming up the side of the flat is quite fast which would give us a higher than normal windchill which may well be the culprit , I'm spending the rest of the time reading up on gill damage and its causes , but with all the drop test readings reading normal and this being bourne out by Our health officers more sensitive drop test kits excluding ammonia Nitrates Nitrites and Ph levels
Kh levels chlorine levels etc came up as slightly down and nil, we even thought poison ........
We will eventually hit pay dirt with the answer with both of us looking into it ..

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Poison did cross my mind, too @Dave 54 - but wouldn't you think that would take all the fish, not just most of them? And the surviving three still look fine? That's the mysterious part - why did they not all succumb to whatever it was that caused this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Strangely enough @Lisak1 is that all but one of the older koi perished and two of the between 2 - 5 year relatively young koi
The three survivors look good apart from the doitsu Goromo that is working its way through Koi Pox which ca take upwards of 4 - 5 years to clear but as you know Koi pox isnt anything to worry over , it cures itself eventually we all know that .
Turned the air down to the bubbler (even further than its normal winter setting) did another water change with filters and pond totally isolated apart from air flow that means the 4" bottom drain slide valve and also blocking 2" return pipe 2 ft down in the pond Brrrrrrr was that cold , with the normal trickle method of the water going back via the water filters Thanks for the heads up @audioenvy Am thinking of sending Spike and Ginger an email but Spike is only as qualified as our health officer who was his BKKS opposite Number when Spike ran the AKCA health site many moons ago now infact this is where we first got to talking with each other sending regular emails throughout the years we've been keeping koi , I have copy of Spike's mate Duncan Griffiths Book Step by Step Advanced koi diagnoses & Treatments and that will be my next port of call to look up gill damage and causes therof
The wind chill factor at the moment is -2c with the pond at 7c, last night we got as low as -4c last night

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Dave, did you say the KH was low, with your Health Officer's testing? If so, could this have led to a PH crash ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@audioenvy no we didnt take a shot of the gills we didn't need too Brian was Spike's opposite number for many years.
So we have a health officer of his calibre here in Plymouth who is now our very own health officer.
Many thanx again for the heads up on the gill photo's but I can tell you that they didn't look at all like the photo's your showing me .
A the moment we are looking into temperature as being the culprit ,it is possible.that we supper chilled the pond somehow
One thing we have noticed though is the windchill factor coming up the valley , we had -6c a few nights ago

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Wow Dave, sorry to hear.
My only thoughts are that something got into the water supply.
Either your town council flushed the municipal pipes, your chlorine cartridge failed or there was some vandalism.
I doubt it was temperature because of the large body of water you have plus your pond is not subject to high winds.
Good luck tracking down the cause.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I lost 1 koi in the fall and even though it was only 2yrs old,I'm still so hurt about it! I can't imagine what you must be going through
I'm very sorry for your loss @Dave 54 :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeah, I just posted photos for comparison purposes. I'm glad to hear it was not viral.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, did you say the KH was low, with your Health Officer's testing? If so, could this have led to a PH crash ?
@Tula No the Ph came out as normal the Kh was only slightly under and nothing at all to worry about,
He picked up that my Ph test kit was out with his own far superior test kits, but otherwise all was well with the pond AS for to much chlorine from the water department I'm afraid not @MichM the chlorine removal cannister's are all brand new my friend@Gemma thankyou for your kind thoughts .
We will get to the bottom of it eventually .

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Tula At the moment It's looking like the pond became super chilled during all our winter weather and this may well have taken out nearly all our koi.
I'll have to run this via our health official but the temperatures with and easterly wind blowing at night up through our passageway and out round the back all came back with a minus before them which came as some surprise to us as did our water temperature taken by the pool/pond thermometer , which did not agree with our hand held K<moon GM300 infrared Laser Thermometer with a temperature range of -50c ~ 420c (-58f ~ 788f which when we took our temperature readings on the pond disagreed with each other by almost 4c .
At the moment though its only a theory but we may well be right here .

Dave 54

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you are right @Dave 54 will you have to put heaters in the water or cover you pond like @callingcolleen1 does w/hers?
Maybe only when a really deep freeze hits? Otherwise how do you prevent something like this from happening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
according to our top expert here, your water can't possibly have been super-cooled (I think this term is being misused, the more I read and hear it. I think you just mean that the water temp got lower than usual, lower than the fish could handle). And also according to her, koi are much hardier than goldfish and you shouldn't have lost any. But then, I have neither heaters, flowing water, koi nor an indoor situation and my fragile goldfish have made it for 7 years in weather harsher than yours (temps in December were below 0 F for a week).

Seems some top experts need to be exported to the UK so they can fix your problem, Dave.

Sorry for your loss and I'm being hugely sarcastic because all your issues fly in the face of what one top expert seems to think and propagate. Actually, I bet our top expert will tell you you SHOULD have running water and heaters all winter, which would indeed have helped.

Ask a Question