Water Hawthorn with Holes in Leaves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hello,

I'm a relatively new pond owner. I've just placed some Water Hawthorn into my pond, and the leaves are growing with holes in them. See attached picture. I'm pretty sure it is not a parasite or snail. Hole pattern does not appear to be consistant with a leaf muncher, but I could be wrong. What do you think? Thank you in advance.

Tim

Attachments

• IMAG0792.jpg
    IMAG0792.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There's a bazillion aquatic insects that would find water hawthorn a good nibble. One affects lilypads etc. especially, glassworms.

Tiny little fly larvae which get the chance to proliferate when fish aren't about.

When your pond is established fish, dragonfly larvae, pond skaters, whirlygig beetles would suppress such pesky leaf munching varmints

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks. I've got about 9 common goldfish in there. They are not very active right now with the water temperature ranging 33-40. But, temps should start climbing pretty soon. I'll try feeding them less when the temps start to rise, and maybe they'll be more aggressive towards any other critters that might be around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You might stroke the underside of the pads and pick off any tiny transparent type small worms, early damage to early pads may well weaken the plants progress

Could be small snails rising during hours of darkness towards dawn...

Yup, the cooler temps would suppress the fishes appetite for small bugs.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thinking back on my days keeping planted aquariums, there WERE some plants that did not fully develop their leaves when first planted in a tank. It may have been the water parameters, or the plants had been grown in deeper/shallower water, or whatever, but most would return to normal after a short acclimation period. I'd give the plant some time to adjust, and keep an eye on it.
John

Ask a Question