We are now in Mexico, home

Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
What an ordeal! Good to hear you are at the new home in Mexico! Are you scared to live in the jungle though?
Not at all, this is a small community carved out of the jungle. As soon as we get all settled in, I'm going to shoot a compass bearing from the upper deck to the Caribbean and hack a bicycle trail through there. There are cenotes behind our house in the jungle and I want to find one. This is a kind of peninsula because the water is close in front of our place but it also is behind us.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Bullfrog said:
Not at all, this is a small community carved out of the jungle. As soon as we get all settled in, I'm going to shoot a compass bearing from the upper deck to the Caribbean and hack a bicycle trail through there. There are cenotes behind our house in the jungle and I want to find one. This is a kind of peninsula because the water is close in front of our place but it also is behind us.
I worked on temporary assigment in San Jan, Costa Rica. Disliking the made to order vacation areas I got to explore the true Costa Rica. Although the countryside is so beautiful and people so friendly I gradually found the very, very rual villages air repulsive due to the open sewage and garbage disposal. My project keep me in San Jose while my spirit was in the countryside. I guess you could say I went from best of San Jose society to the common villager. Still believe CR would be a great country to live. Even in rural areas, under the right conditions.

Questions about your location.

- Reliable utilities
- Water testing
- Sanitation
- Mosquito situation
- Is there a rainy season
- Do jungle trail rapidly grow back
- Invasive insects
- Problematic monkeys, birds, snakes, etc.
- Nearby medical care, stores, etc.
- Phone, Internet
- Honest law enforcement
- Reported/unreported crime
- Organized crime
- Anti-immigrant attitude
- Stable local or regional government
- Prowerful land or business owners

Thanks,
Lou

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bullfrog said:
The bike trail sounds like a great idea. Had to look up cenotes and learned they are fantastic sink holes,magical, enigmatic and unique in the world and were once the only resource for fresh, sweet water in the local Yucatan jungle. They were the sacred places of the Mayas for that reason, but also because they represented the entrance to the underworld. Would be neat to find one and you dive so you would see all kinds of formations. Wonder if there are any fish in any of them?

Reaction score
Big Lou said:
I worked on temporary assigment in San Jan, Costa Rica. Disliking the made to order vacation areas I got to explore the true Costa Rica. Although the countryside is so beautiful and people so friendly I gradually found the very, very rual villages air repulsive due to the open sewage and garbage disposal. My project keep me in San Jose while my spirit was in the countryside. I guess you could say I went from best of San Jose society to the common villager. Still believe CR would be a great country to live. Even in rural areas, under the right conditions.

Questions about your location.

- Reliable utilities
- Water testing
- Sanitation
- Mosquito situation
- Is there a rainy season
- Do jungle trail rapidly grow back
- Invasive insects
- Problematic monkeys, birds, snakes, etc.
- Nearby medical care, stores, etc.
- Phone, Internet
- Honest law enforcement
- Reported/unreported crime
- Organized crime
- Anti-immigrant attitude
- Stable local or regional government
- Prowerful land or business owners

Thanks,

Lou
Utilities are reliable, we lose water occasionally for a very short time but but a tenaca (large plastic reservior solves that and gives you more head pressure as trailer park pressure is low.

We use the water to bathe, shave, brush teeth and cook vegetables, but bottled water is the drinking type as the water here is safe, but has a lot of calcium in it.

Garbage pick up is DAILY!! Woo Hoo!!

Haven't felt a mosquito yet as our palapa has a good breeze all of the time, saw my first Mexican lightning bug last night.

The rainy season begins in June and lasts about 3 months, rains hard daily, then clears.

The jungle grows back quickly unless you do something about it.

No invasive insects, large fiddler crabs at night and marauding raccoons and coati mundi

The monkeys are slowly moving in, there are Fer De Lance (very venomous) in the jungle, anaconda, and jaguars but the large cats hunt at night and there are plenty of deer and tapirs to keep them happy. We have beautiful large blue birds called Chachalaka that make a sound just like their name.

Excellent hospital in Playa Del Carmen, all of the doctors are trained in the US, also all of the shopping you can stand, Walmart, Auto Zone, Sam's Club, Home Depot, and millions of places to eat.

Majic Jack works great, $19.95 a year and I have a Texas area code, free calls all over the states. The internet is wireless and faster than we had in the states.

Cops are friendly, courteous and professional.

No crime here, some at night in Playa.

No organized crime this deep.

We live in an all American/Canadian community, no immigration problems here. It was hard to get a 4 year visa, you have to prove that you have $97,500.00 EACH and have had it for 6 months. In 4 years, you have to re qualify, meaning you have to have that amount of money again. However, if you have a job offer here, the money doesn't matter. There are jobs, and people who will write you an offer of employment for a price. Also, there are job categories that the government recognizes, such as humanitarian such as missionaries. One classification is artist, I'm going to get an immigration lawyer to present my first four novels as they take place in this area and deal with Mexican history and these types of permanent residents are handled on a case by case basis. He will present the novels to the consulate and say I want to immerse myself in the culture to continue my work. Enough pesos and this will fly.

Very stable government.

Pepe is a vastly wealthy man who owns Paamul, he has an autographed copy of my first novel and is very down to earth.

Reaction score
The cenotes are awesome, this land is honeycombed with one of the largest in the world, "Dos Ojos", much of it is still unexplored. I have dove this and it is incredible. I want to find an unknown one as there are many and a few right behind my palapa.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well I for one can't wait to see what you find. Exciting to think you might find some never before seen things!This is so wonderful of you to share all of this w/ us as some of us will never get to see it otherwise. We are chickens to drive down there through all that you went through to get there :razz:

Reaction score
capewind said:
Wow, what an adventure!

BTW, I just checked out your site ... those first two books are right up my alley for "modern" style books ... Gawd... that sounded awful! My all time favorite authors are Huxley, Orwell, Wells, Hemingway, and Jean Auel ... I am also a fan of GOOD Historical Romance books, so think between the types I listed, you understand my wording of "modern" and why I am interested in your work:) Will have to keep you in mind when I get low on books again!
With permission from the administrator I will post the first book here a little at a time. I don't know who to ask or if this is allowed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bullfrog, Ian or Becky (administrators) would be who you would ask and as long as you were not trying to sell anything and you post it in the chit chat forum then I think it would be fun for people to read your book. I have read it and I enjoyed it very much and think others here would also.

Reaction score
j.w said:
Bullfrog, Ian or Becky (administrators) would be who you would ask and as long as you were not trying to sell anything and you post it in the chit chat forum then I think it would be fun for people to read your book. I have read it and I enjoyed it very much and think others here would also.
I'm not trying to sell anything. The books are very popular here as everyone knows John and Debra, two of the main characters of the last novel. They were original residents and highly respected. I never envisioned getting rich and wrote them because I enjoy telling tales. As much as I enjoyed writing Vengeance, looking at it now, it was tottering baby steps compared to Goldfish. Writing, like anything, gets easier and better as you go. I would never ask but if anyone wants to read it, perhaps they will.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope you can post it up here. It's a fun and interesting read and you do put your heart into your writing.

Reaction score
I just want to be clear that I didnt feel any pressure what so ever to purchase anything, and I appreciated seeing the link to the books, as they look like something I would be very interested in.

Ask a Question