We have a "Hole"... the rest... we need Help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Total here on this house when I had it done was 89 thousand and the house is 2440 sq. ft. with 2x 6 stud walls and use sound board inside and outside the house and the extra cost was to do the basement and have it insulated and had rough in plumbing done .Did not finish it ,i didn't need it but figure for the future you never know and other house cost 27 thousand with land and those are Mikes horses ,they live there.I bought that last year and this house was built 9 years ago and bought the land the year before .I still love NJ and may sell and go back sometime in the future .I retired and but seems when you buy a barren lot you never retire .Splendors gate after 9 years of work

Attachments

• 2012 house 002.JPG
    2012 house 002.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 205

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you do go the two pump route keep in mind that when you start the other pump it will drain down your pond level, how much depends on how much water will be needed for the stream. I have one pump and prefer to keep all the streams going all the time with the exception of winter when I shut it all down for a few months. I like to watch it from the different vantage points and there are all kinds of good stuff that grows in the streams/creeks. By shutting that stream off these things will not survive. Also a stream can help with the aeration of your pond, as the water goes over the rocks. As Addy said in another post you will get all kinds of different suggestions and this is just mine.

Reaction score
If you do go the two pump route keep in mind that when you start the other pump it will drain down your pond level, how much depends on how much water will be needed for the stream. I have one pump and prefer to keep all the streams going all the time with the exception of winter when I shut it all down for a few months. I like to watch it from the different vantage points and there are all kinds of good stuff that grows in the streams/creeks. By shutting that stream off these things will not survive. Also a stream can help with the aeration of your pond, as the water goes over the rocks. As Addy said in another post you will get all kinds of different suggestions and this is just mine.

I like the suggestion and the thoughts, thank you. I cant imagine the stream or waterfalls together taking up any more that 100 gallons but the filter sure would if I build something like what I have seen photo'd here!

With the twin pump idea of Sissy's, I can get a pr of energy effecient pumps and not fret so much on the monthly cost. Heck, then again I could pick just about any vice of mine, drop that and cover the electric costs of running both and then some. Evaporation in our area with low double digit humidity is yet another thought of mine but it is what it is... and we will deal with that. That issue on the table, has anyone built a floating skimmer that easily adjusts to varying water levels? My thought is still to go up from the bottom drain, T with smaller tubing to the shallow side of the pond, T again above that, low in the deep end by the drain and then come up for some type of skimmer. My thought is to prevent stagnation in any area and promote flow from all areas of the pond. The stream section and the flow from the falls will naturally push any floating debris directly at the skimmer...... or so goes "the plan".

How big must the filter pump be for 7000 gallons? The stream/falls pump is fairly easy to calculate but the filter pump... I have seen no discussions about those when used with (3) 55 gallon barrels as the filter. I have thought about an air pump with stones in the filter jugs to provide oxygenated filtered water back in so I dont have to pump insane amount of water through the filters each hour. Maybe even returning that water to below surface level.... Having only enough information to be dangerous.... IS dangerous!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have a place to hide the filters .I use lava rock in my filters .You could use a stock tank also

I have 2 stock tanks and got them at house auctions on auction zip .com I check them out to see what auctions are coming up .I have 2 filters now and use the stock tanks for plants .I use 2 pumps one 2150 gph and one is around 2900 gph .But need to over filter because 2 of the koi are around 2 feet long .I guess you will be around the same size as addy's pond and you could ask her the size of her pump .I know she turns off her waterfall also ,so that may help you also ,but she does use a bog for a filter .I also keep plants in my filters .Helps clean water

Reaction score
[quote name='sissy' timestamp='1343582623' post='133614']
Do you have a place to hide the filters .I use lava rock in my filters .You could use a stock tank also

I have 2 stock tanks and got them at house auctions on auction zip .com I check them out to see what auctions are coming up .I have 2 filters now and use the stock tanks for plants .I use 2 pumps one 2150 gph and one is around 2900 gph .But need to over filter because 2 of the koi are around 2 feet long .I guess you will be around the same size as addy's pond and you could ask her the size of her pump .I know she turns off her waterfall also ,so that may help you also ,but she does use a bog for a filter .I also keep plants in my filters .Helps clean water
[/quote]

Once again, thinking outside the box, a great suggestion on the tanks. I have a number of them behind the barn for rotating the horses on different pastures. I have a great deal of room under the gazebo to put tanks out of site and out of the weather. I will have to study tutorials and photo's that others have shown on here RE building the filters. Kris wants a bunch of water plants in this as she had wonderful success with them on our first pond.

Today was moving Rocks and Stumps to start making the concrete blend into the surroundings and look somewhat natural. This has far too long been looking like a construction site, what a treat to be able to start turning the corner. Old fence posts will hide the plumbing for the waterfall/stream coming out of the small upper holding pond. I have carried enough rocks for the day and am now Seriously looking forward to plumbing and other detail work... enough with the heavy work, that is for the kids to do! Time to visit the Winery in the Estes Park, get a bottle of Merlot and two glasses and sit next to a real stream and get some decorating ideas!

Attachments

• P1090029 - Copy.JPG
    P1090029 - Copy.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 241
  • P1090031 - Copy.JPG
    P1090031 - Copy.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 224
  • P1090032 - Copy.JPG
    P1090032 - Copy.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 247
  • P1090037 - Copy.JPG
    P1090037 - Copy.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 229
  • P1090034 - Copy.JPG
    P1090034 - Copy.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 237

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Beautiful place! That actually looks like a very fun project. I can imagine it must have many challenges but it will be well worth the effort when done. While reading through a couple of things you hit on I would like to remark on. First the pond finish. If you can get away with keeping the rough feel do it. You'll be glad there is some grip if you ever have to do any in pond or in stream work. Second. Look into installing a float valve, auto-fill, or drip feed to your system instead of a skimmer that moves with the water level. They aren't expensive and make life much easier for you in the long run. Now for the question on filtration. 3 55 gallon drum is going to be small for large fish load but could easily work for a lighter load of fish and a higher load of plants. With your set-up though there are so many options that could be added for filtration as your project goes along. A hidden 24/7 filter for the pond in the winter and summer is a must. But an additional filtration system for the summer and fed to the stream could help during the warmer months and will help with the heavier feeding loads during the more active months as well. The stream is where you would need to get the extra oxygen into the system during the summer, having a good mechanical filter feeding the stream such as a DYI skippy filter could be blended real easily and very beneficial. Good luck and again, very beautiful place you have!

Reaction score
Dave, welcome to the group! No advice from this direction as I know less than nothing about concrete ponds, but from the present design, I know it is going to be gorgeous!

Sissy, your real estate prices make me SICK! I am soooo jealous! $5k an acre??? HERE, for a reasonable house (good structure, clean & safe, not fancy) around 1200 sf on an 8th of an acre is starting around $350-400k. 1800 sf on half to one acre, and the price doubles...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know what you mean because my house in NJ sold for 500 thousand dollars and I bought it as a fixer upper for 174 thousand and taxes were 11 thousand a year and here my taxes are a 1000 dollars a year and the house with almost 12 acres is 354 dollars a year .It is only a 2007 single wide but Mike and Tesia call it home and better than where they were living a house no heat no water just land for the horses and geese in West Virginia and they paid 150 month for rent there .Here they are paying me back at 200 dollars a month .There are foreclosures here for 5 thousand on an acre of land and taxes 98 dollars a year .Sorry to borrow your thread DandK.There worst thing will be the wild animals and the heat and evaporation as I know how cement sucks up water when it is not sealed and then you add in when the waterfall runs it will just compound the problem .I'm not sure just how hot that water will get also with all the rocks around it absorbing heat .Those trees in your pond and stream will also suck up water and more water when the stream is on .I understand what you are going for but just remember to add that into your calculations as when you turn the stream on you may have to add water to the pond as you are waiting for every thing to absorb water .You don't want cooked fish .Also hoping you have well water since you are out so far I am guessing you do .When I helped my neighbor down the street do his indoor sand bag pond he wanted the cement boat and the tree trunk and will filled the pond (no fish then ) after 2 hours the pond was half empty and he thought he had a leak but you could see the tree and boat sucking up the water and then when we started up the filter even more was gone .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don't blame me for the rocks on the bottom he insisted .I told him and he has been saying even with the big filter and no direct sunlight it still gets dirty from fish poo .He has also inlarged the glass doors over there to the side to put a patio outside and then I made the mistake when i saw it to say how cool it would be to have an indoor out door pond connected .He did want to do an out door pond ,my big mouth gets me in trouble .Wait until he tells his wife about that .OH DEAR .

Reaction score
I know the rocks are a no no (for cleaning purposes), but they are so pretty in there! I'll just have to look at the rocks in my bog more to get my fix LOL... shutting up now, and gonna keep following this thread. I am really curious of the concrete ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have only ever seen 2 of them in real life and a lot of them on you tube .One thing I like most is the natural shape of this one and plus the color .Looks sort of tarra cotta colored and blends in great .I have been researching them and seems the ones I have seen say seal them so interested in what waterbug would think since he seems to deal alot with cement and cement issues .I guess once he fills it up or it rains he will know more .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is a really interesting pondbuild to watch and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Never seen anything like it and I sure hope it holds water as it sure will look pretty when finished!

Reaction score
Beautiful place! That actually looks like a very fun project. I can imagine it must have many challenges but it will be well worth the effort when done. While reading through a couple of things you hit on I would like to remark on. First the pond finish. If you can get away with keeping the rough feel do it. You'll be glad there is some grip if you ever have to do any in pond or in stream work. Second. Look into installing a float valve, auto-fill, or drip feed to your system instead of a skimmer that moves with the water level. They aren't expensive and make life much easier for you in the long run. Now for the question on filtration. 3 55 gallon drum is going to be small for large fish load but could easily work for a lighter load of fish and a higher load of plants. With your set-up though there are so many options that could be added for filtration as your project goes along. A hidden 24/7 filter for the pond in the winter and summer is a must. But an additional filtration system for the summer and fed to the stream could help during the warmer months and will help with the heavier feeding loads during the more active months as well. The stream is where you would need to get the extra oxygen into the system during the summer, having a good mechanical filter feeding the stream such as a DYI skippy filter could be blended real easily and very beneficial. Good luck and again, very beautiful place you have!

This is such a terrific help with all of you folks pitching in thoughts and ideas, I cant tell you how much it helps me! With all of the variables in the equation, how could anyone 'know' all the answers? But when folks with experiences, ones who have been there before, start talking ideas....something will stick to the wall. In my industry I have large design debate groups where we beat up ideas and all of a sudden everyone on the teams says... I think this might work. That is all I can hope for, just trying to identify the problems prior to making them, and for that I Thank You all for your thoughts, kind words and best wishes!

Surface finish/autofill: Completely agree. My first pond had a rubber liner I put in... slicker than snot, I ended up on my backside more often than not.
Auto fill: That one is tricky! We are at 5700 ft altitude in a dry valley with one of very few producing wells in the whole area. Out here it is standard practice to have to haul water and store it in underground cisterns. My well is just short of enough to keep the house and livestock watered so I have to make a 1000 gallon haul once a month or so. The BIGGEST problem is the well water is Very salty, our area is the bottom of an ancient ocean and the wells here are not into an aquifer, but catching water running through rock layers. The best I can do is to pump from the seasonal stream in the bottom of the gully and hope enough is available to keep up with demand. One doesnt know how fortunate they are to be able to turn a facet on and get clear drinking water, until you live in an area like this where water has to be hauled in. Its fine if I have to haul for this project, its a small cost to pay for something that will bring us many smiles.

Filter: Exactly the type of advise I need! This will be a small fish load because Everything out here will line up for dinner at the pond.... and I mean everything! I introduce another food source and every preditor in the valley will be here. The nearby fires on the front range this spring have pushed the wildlife down out of the wilderness areas and into our area. I am happy to have them here to watch but it will come at a cost. Even the Rattlesnakes have moved down and now it is required one watches where each step is placed. Add a water hole to the desert and it will become a very interesting eco system in itself, nature will find a way to exploit it and we will be fortunate to be able to watch this up close.

It will be a challenge that has a significant cost to maintain but how do you put a price to a dream? I near lost my wife and kids to terrible illnesses and accidents a few years back.... now I dont dwell on dreams, I act on them as I was taught life is all too short... play it out now so you can enjoy it. I will be working until I go toes up due to the resulting bills that had to be paid... might as well live this journey to its fullest and enjoy everything we can, while we can. We got a taste of how much fun this can be from my first, every mistake in the book, pond. That is the reason this one is so grand in scale, it isnt we have a big budget, just a big dream that I find a way to make work by building myself what I cant afford. To date, most of the materials with the exception of the concrete are recycled or discarded warped lumber I picked up for a song and the rest is just hard work. The concrete only happened when it did, on a rushed time schedule, because a number of young guys lost their jobs and this gave them an income for a few days.

As luck would have it, when we packed it in and cleaned up to head up to the Winery after the grunt work yesterday, the neighbor's from down the road stopped by and ended up joining us. Some things in life you just dont try to figure out, you just accept it and be grateful for it, Gary is a construction manager who is Very knowledgeable about concrete! His latest project was a water treatment plant and concrete lined holding ponds. Four lawn chairs, 4 glasses of wine, sitting alongside a mountain stream with a guy that has the answers to my problems... who woulda thunk it possible? Sure there were problems, Gary is a little agrivated at me because his wife now wants a pond like ours and his own HoneyDo list just grew! He said my planed process of two stages of sealers, a wicking sealer that goes in to a depth of 4" and then a water proofer over that... should do the job just fine as it is more thn they did for a local towns holding ponds at the water treatment center. They too are concerned about water quality and the resulting lye/lime leaching from the concrete.... the wicking sealer/bonding agent is designed exactly for that purpose and the water proofing agent is just icing on the cake. With the shallow depth of our pond, hydrostatic pressures should be at a minimum and are no cause for concern. One MAJOR problem checked off the list and a very enjoyable evening was had to boot!

Reaction score
.Sorry to borrow your thread DandK.There worst thing will be the wild animals and the heat and evaporation as I know how cement sucks up water when it is not sealed and then you add in when the waterfall runs it will just compound the problem .I'm not sure just how hot that water will get also with all the rocks around it absorbing heat .Those trees in your pond and stream will also suck up water and more water when the stream is on .I understand what you are going for but just remember to add that into your calculations as when you turn the stream on you may have to add water to the pond as you are waiting for every thing to absorb water .You don't want cooked fish .Also hoping you have well water since you are out so far I am guessing you do .When I helped my neighbor down the street do his indoor sand bag pond he wanted the cement boat and the tree trunk and will filled the pond (no fish then ) after 2 hours the pond was half empty and he thought he had a leak but you could see the tree and boat sucking up the water and then when we started up the filter even more was gone .

Oh heck no worries, I gleam knowledge from every word and thought you post!

The logs and such will just be alongside the stream and falls, just to break up the formed outline of the concrete. I suspect I will have to submerge an old stream washed tree with branches just to give the fish and escape path from preditors. Only time will tell and that is assuming I ever get water in this.

I too was concerned about the heat of the water. IF (read that as wishful thinking) my theory is right and the rock extends down as far as I suspect it does..... Rock is a pretty good heat transfer material and about 10 feet down the ground temp remains at a constant 50 some degrees, year around. This is why the heat pumps designed to heat and cool houses works year around. It is also the reason I concreted the whole pond in hopes to wick that heating and cooling into the pond water thus taking out the extremes of both hot and cold. Heck, who knows, there are so many holes in my theories it may well be hogwash but even a blind squirrel stumbles upon a nut now and then. Luck, I'm OK with that if/when it happens, my fingers are crossed.

Ask a Question