Weighing down airlines?

Reaction score
How do you weigh down your airlines? mine keep floating to the top and I just hate it. I have tried the attaching nut route but didnt like having the metal in the pond, tried zip tying rocks but come loose after a day or two. So what do you do? and I dont want to buy weighted air line tubing I am cheap :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used to use the weighted airline myself...but some snug fitting stainless washers or nuts slid over the line works well..hope this helps ya!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
do you have a water line running to about the same area? zip tie to the water line? but stainless steel washers sounds liek the best idea.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used some kind of 1 inch thick rubber washer i found at lowes in the plumbing section not sure what it was for don't remember .But it was near the well pumps and tanks .2 for 1.29

Reaction score
I have used the stainless steal nuts before and dont really like them as they eventually will rust and they all slide down to one spot, i even added zip ties to try and hold them but with algea growth the move, was hoping for a alternative way, i may have to use my plan B.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
A few well placed large rocks will do the trick. Or go to the fishing section at Wal Mart and get some tear drop sinkers with the eye on top. Little bit of low vis. green fishing line and your done. I use fishing line to contain my water lettuce and water hyacin. I used the sinker for the water lettuce this week. I wanted my plants in a certain area but I couldn't reach it with out messing up the plants and stuff so I tied the sinker to the fishing line, threw it so it would land in a certain spot by some drift wood that is half on the edge of pond and tied the other end to where I wanted it. Floating plants are contained and you don't see the fishing line.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I have used the stainless steal nuts before and dont really like them as they eventually will rust and they all slide down to one spot, i even added zip ties to try and hold them but with algea growth the move, was hoping for a alternative way, i may have to use my plan B.
use nuts that fit snug they wont slide and any rust on stainless is superficial. i used this set up one year...still have the hose with the nuts still on it, i think... oh well .. i tried to help. good luck with plan b.

Reaction score
lol I'm in trouble now, I didn't think about the 2 possible reasons my wife would weigh down airlines, I was thinking baggage, clothes, hair dryers, etc., not her weight. Geez, I hope she never joins this forum, I'm dead meat if she does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I'm in trouble now, I didn't think about the 2 possible reasons my wife would weigh down airlines, I was thinking baggage, clothes, hair dryers, etc., not her weight. Geez, I hope she never joins this forum, I'm dead meat if she does.

yeah sure sure.................we know what you meant! lol made me laugh!

I use fishing weights to hold down my airlines. I have not seen any issues with them, the same few in the pond for almost two years now.

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I drilled holes in some small flagstone rocks I had laying around to weigh my air stones down, they are right against the liner though so I haven't worried about the line itself.

Ask a Question