Well Good Ole Harvey is here to visit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hope all are safe , i have read at some places people were saying the media is exaggerating and the footage are fake for some political gain and no footage is yet to b seen from a common person of large scale damage, i have no idea about it what is it all about ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hope all are safe , i have read at some places people were saying the media is exaggerating and the footage are fake for some political gain and no footage is yet to b seen from a common person of large scale damage, i have no idea about it what is it all about ?

Wouldn't be the first time the Media exaggerates!
I remember the footage on an earthquake in Italy, the Media actually used images from a different earthquake happened decades before!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We are going to Houston tomorrow to help out. From what I understand our group will be removing moldy drywall from houses that were flooded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We are going to Houston tomorrow to help out. From what I understand our group will be removing moldy drywall from houses that were flooded.
The first day was pretty interesting. We helped remove belongings in a house that was flooded 2 months ago. We made a giant pile of garbage in front of the house and another large pile of good stuff we were able to salvage for the homeowner. She was looking at things as we took them out. The group cleaning the house was a total of 25 people. We are staying at a church with 40 people sleeping on cots in one big room. From what I understand there are still 1000s of houses that are still flood damaged here that need cleanup.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a mess it will be a long time before things are "normal" again.
It took my late husband and I a year + before our house in Arizona was fixed and that was just a wind sheer. Took off over 4000 roofs then it rained,

Great that you can help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow Addy. That sounds really bad. I know az gets dust storms but didn't realize they had storms that bad. Today was another interesting day. It was a lot of work but we made progress. Later someone on the street asked if I was a volunteer and thanked me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow Addy. That sounds really bad. I know az gets dust storms but didn't realize they had storms that bad. Today was another interesting day. It was a lot of work but we made progress. Later someone on the street asked if I was a volunteer and thanked me.
It was three thunderstorms that ran into each other north of our house. First we had a huge dust storm hit, then they created a down wind that became a wind shear. My wind gauge broke at 140mph. If I recall right, they said the winds hit 160mph.
Every roof on the north side was ripped off, even lifted the roof boards. Then it poured rain. Of course every scammer that could travel came in and offered to fix your house, just give me the insurance check! It cost 70k to fix our house, late husband had paid 72k for the house. That included moving us into a rental for months.

We were given natural disaster rating, so no insurance company could cancel the coverage or hold it against you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That sounds really rough. I don't think people realize how difficult it is to restore your home when a disaster strikes because of the shortage of manpower. The last day we went to a new site. Our group emptied out a small 3 bedroom home of its personal contents and removed drywall and everything else 4 ft from the floor in just 4 hours. Just got home last night feeling pretty tired.

Ask a Question