What have you found during your pond digs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the neighbor's cable/internet line. I even had the utilities marked before I started, but they didn't label that.

Then I moved my site and found a DIFFERENT neighbor's line. Also unmarked. Thankfully I only had to move about a foot that time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
It started off finding bits of clay pipe, which eventually turned out to be an abandoned collapsed pipe. Then it was a stop sign. Under the stop sign was an old dry well. It appears they used a barrel to form the concrete dry well as you can see the slats of the barrel. We turned it into a place for a trashcan filter/skimmer.
under the sign.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I didn't take any pics, but my pond is located in a location where a previous tenant burnt their trash, including unwanted kitchen utensils, apparently, from the number of half burnt plastic spoons, spatulas, and tongs I found, along with massive quantities of broken glass, remnants of plastic wrappers, and the requisite rocks (it's Vermont, you can't just dig a hole with a shovel, you have to get out a pickax).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Toads, plenty of toads. Various bits of old trash. Nothing too interesting. I had hoped for some rocks, anything of real interest, but no.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since we live near a lot of Civil War battle sites, I had hope to dig up a belt buckle or button or some other artifact. But nothing other than roots, some which were hard to get out. Not even a pebble or rock. All this part of the US was under the Atlantic ocean long ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Toads, plenty of toads. Various bits of old trash. Nothing too interesting. I had hoped for some rocks, anything of real interest, but no.
I am guessing you didn't dig up the toads. They were just about. Right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No, as we were digging, toads came out. It was the start of fall, and I presume we disturbed a whole lot of toad homes for winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this the other day and whilst attaching to a wooden rod and sticking it in the ground, a bright light beamed from it like it was pointing me to something...... :p

Happy Friday everyone.

1596226504675.png

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Only thing I found in my pond dig was huge chunks of sand/iron stone. Glad I was using equipment to dig the pond, otherwise it wouldn’t have been finished.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, I found concrete blocks painted bright blue in my pond dig Don’t know what it was maybe a previous pond. I had heard of an alligator pond at one time. Then I found a dog skeleton head & then another. It got really creepy.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We're situated on a terminal moraine. I dug up more rocks than would have fit back in the hole! Every kind immaginable, from soft chalk (in several colours) to sandstone, granite, slate, quartz..... you name it, it was there!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We're situated on a terminal moraine. I dug up more rocks than would have fit back in the hole! Every kind immaginable, from soft chalk (in several colours) to sandstone, granite, slate, quartz..... you name it, it was there!
John
Cool! Any fossils?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, newbie to forum here, and I am located in Central Queensland, Australia.
We didn't find anything while digging this pond in, as its just a small raised rock pond, ( hopefully to deter cane toads) but where we lived before which was 10 acres, on a mountain in semi rain forest, we dug out a huge pond where there was a natural waterfall when it rained.
We found a lot of petrified tree trunk sections and a rock with a fossilised fern on it, and big lumps of fools gold.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 99

Ask a Question