What is your weather like ... today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Got 1.5" of rain between Fri and yesterday. Woohoo!!!! Needed it bad! Today it's hot and humid, in the 80's and sun is out beautifully right now, although rain is threatening for tonight and tomorrow again.
This is what I got done yesterday in my front yard before ... and after ... the rain. Weeping Cherry and Weeping Red Bud trees are the anchors on each end. Middle is actually mounded up about 12" but can't tell much from the photos.
Done.JPG

Yellow/green yucca will be the standout in the center, with a slow growing dwarf variety of a yellow needle pine tree behind it. Flame Grass on the outside edges of this pic will turn red in the fall, and only gets to be about 3' tall. :) Rest of these plants are various types of hardy sedum, all low growing and spreading types.
grass, sedum, white pine, yellow yucca.JPG

Funny ... well kinda ... story. Driving home at 11:30 p.m. Fri. night, spotted a dead deer in the middle of my lane on the highway too late to swerve (safely) to avoid it, so high centered it. Needless to say, the underside of my car was covered with deer fur and meat. Smelled like I was cooking venison when I got home! Had to spray it off the next morning. First time I really looked at the underside of my Charger, and was amazed at the guards under there to keep from damaging the car more in situations like this. The deer was lenghwise in my lane, head facing me, eyes glowing, thought it was a raccoon until too late! Bumpity bump it went, but appears to be no damage. Whew!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job CE

I love the red bud, our weeping cherries are two years old, they barely bloomed this spring. We planted two on missy #1's grave.

Hot and dry, we need rain bad.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Got lots of lumber for new section of fence home, now I just have to get busy screwing it all together. Was very nice day for weeding front yard and got lots more done there too. So much to do and time to take puppies for their walk with hubby. Birds in the trees are singing their little heads off and things are slowly coming together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nice day today, wind finally died down mid afternoon, so I got the yard resprayed for weeds (that a fluke shower washed off the other morning), and then sprayed round up on my driveways. Got done with that, figured I would get the rest of the mulch distributed, and on last wheelbarrow, when I spotted the clouds! Yes, it had been thundering for close to an hour (typical, before the storm actually gets to me ...), but man, I did NOT expect what happened next. I went into the house to get my camera, walked back outside was taking the third pic and BOOM the storm was HERE! I was in front of the garage, and RAN to get into the garage. I was afraid I was going to blow right past the garage. The winds must have gone from 0-60 mph. LOL Well, ok, I'm exaggerating, but man it kicked up fast. Only lasted about 25 minutes, didn't even get much rain out of it, but sure was lots of lightening to watch the pretty light show. Windmill didn't know what direction to spin, and kept ground around and around with the wind.
Storm clouds.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wish I could post the video, but for some reason, when I click on upload a file, the video doesn't show up in my folder. Must be something from GPF, because it's there for other things.
More rain, another 1.1" here, I think the total for the weekend (Fri.-Mon.) was 2.9". Plenty, especially since part of the newly planted corn field is still under water this evening.
Temps only got to low 70's today, and going to have a few nights in a row of lows in the 50's and high 40's, but 70/50's is perfect for this time of year. AC is off, and windows are open! Love the fresh smell after rains, plus no dust flying in the air. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, uploaded it to YouTube, so here it is. Notice the windmill spinning around in crazy fashion, then I zoom in on the purple irises blowing from left to right and then the small tree just behind them blowing from right to left. Pretty crazy, huh? I guess the way the buildings are in my back yard, it created a vortex of wind. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Tonight no rain, no storms, no wind and about 52 degrees Got a fire burning and awesome solar lights everywhere! And I swear those medium Koi I moved to new top pond are rapidly expanding in size :eek: Having glass of red wine :hungry: and worked super hard at work and guess what, it felt GOOD!!!!!
20150512_213148.jpg

No your not seeing things.... those are my silly hanging solar lanterns and I can create my own "solar system" ha ha ha

Attachments

• 20150512_213028.jpg
    20150512_213028.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150512_212748.jpg
    20150512_212748.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20150512_212823.jpg
    20150512_212823.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 90

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finally heading back to "normal" May temps, dropping from the 90's down to 70's for a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love the normal temps, too! Sunny, and 70's and 50's coming right up. My favorite time of year, and was worried not going to have spring, but alas, it is back.
Colleen, I have a full basement, with center part that is under the stairs, good place to go when/if a tornado ever comes my way. I love to watch the storms approach. Keep in mind it's wide open area here, and I can see for a mile in every direction with nothing in the way ... NOTHING! So, weather cannot sneak up on me very easily. I have twice gone to the basement, and nothing happened, but I'm safe, rather than sorry. :)
I got just under 3" of rain last weekend, and fields around me still have some water standing in them. Saturated completely. Going to rain again this coming weekend, but I'm hoping even though 80-90% chance, it won't amount to much accumulation.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We need some rain bad, it been very dry and my vine and trees are drying up. Oh well, at least the flood is not coming!
Worked hard again last night, so much to do, and have to work again all day today. Making a fresh pot of coffee and that should get me going.

Sun is out, but we are supposed to get clouds and maybe a shower on Saturday if we are lucky. Right now it is 50 degrees, should get to 62 degrees (17Celsius).

Sure missing JW

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It's going up to the 80's this weekend, and they are saying rain. I wish the rain they are predicting here could please pass us up and save it for my Eastern and Northern friends that need it! Someday, in the future, I predict someone will create a machine that will regulate the rains. :)

Ask a Question