What other fish could I have?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello. I have a 41 gallon patio pond with two goldfish and I was wondering if their are any other fish or animals in general I could keep? The waterfall feature is usually turned off during the night. It's about 14 inches deep and three feet long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Neurofish,
41 gallons is fine for your goldfish, but do not add koi. I'm sure you could add another gold fish, perhaps try another variety for color...but I wouldn't add to much more, as they multiply quickly. Do you have filtration?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome Neurofish,
41 gallons is fine for your goldfish, but do not add koi. I'm sure you could add another gold fish, perhaps try another variety for color...but I wouldn't add to much more, as they multiply quickly. Do you have filtration?

Yeah I have a filter pad in the waterfall and I was thinking of schooling fish like minnows but more interesting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group :)

Why are you turning the filter off at night? It should really be running 24/7 if you have fish.

Rosy Reds would be okay to keep with the goldfish. I wouldn't add any more goldfish in that size container pond. They can get fairly large and are quite messy compared to smaller fish.

Do you have a picture to share?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Racoons in my area are attracted to the sound of water. I lost most of the fish in my old pond because of this.

Reaction score
Rosy Reds would be a good choice. They like to school and they're cheap. 12 cents ea where I live. The only bad thing is they don't tolerate warm water too well, so they might not survive the summer. This is my first year with them in my pond, so we'll see how it works out. My pond is 6 ft deep so hopefully they can find some cooler water down there when it gets hot.

Reaction score
I don't think they would work out in a pond that small. Sunfish need room or they can get territorial. I'm not familiar with yellow perch in captivity. With only 41 gallons to work with your choices are quite limited.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You could always add snails. Sounds funny until you have them and realize they actually do add to the pond.

I may eventually once the pond is older and has algae but I don't really see any point in adding them off. And I may get some smaller fish from a local creek that I got my previous pond fish from( sticklebacks, emerald shiners, dace, possibly juvenile trout)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the group you could try the shubunkin , or there are the fancy goldfish [remember to bring them in pre-fall, to a cellar or garage as long as its ou of the elements .
If your going to have goldfish then I suggest you do not have wild fish in with them as there is danger of cross contamination from viruses, diseases etc, wild to farmed and vica versa which they may not be able to handle.
Rosy Reds are another fish people talk of keeping however there may be temperature issues with this fish and a heater need be employed throughout the winter indoors

Dave

Ask a Question