What plant is this?

Reaction score
A while back I added some hyacinth to my settlement tank and not too long after that I noticed these little plants floating around. There are a bunch of them and I am concerned that it is Duckweed. I have heard that having Duckweed is undesirable by most people. If it is, how do I get rid of it? Do I grab a drink, turn on the radio, sit down and start pick them out one-by-one?

Thanks

IMG_5534[1].JPG
IMG_5529[1].JPG
IMG_5533[1].JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
duckweed? My goldfish eat them. it spreads quickly but you can just use the net to scoop them out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some show up, it lasted only long enough for the fish to find it They love it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Duckweed. Fish will eat it (my GF love it, and it doesn't last long at all), but if it's somewhere you don't have fish, you can try netting it out. I have used both a kitchen sieve and a small aquarium net with success -- then feed it to the fish :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As the others said, its Duckweed. I had some on my Water Hyacinth roots but the fish ate all of it in a couple of days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I like the look of the duckweed. I tried to get some started in my pond, but the fish ate it pretty quickly, and what they missed, the skimmer took care of...

Ask a Question