What size pump? or pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well a night out for use is like maybe $40 but we don't drink, so we are a bit cheap :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
40 bucks heck a family of four can't to McDonald's for that. And I know Texas roadhouse will be double that for 2

Reaction score
Country
United States
40 bucks heck a family of four can't to McDonald's for that. And I know Texas roadhouse will be double that for 2
Not in Ohio where we live. My wife and I go to Texas road house and eat for $30 something, without the kids. Now with the kids then it is closer to $100. Which we only go out as a family maybe 8 or so time a year.
As for McDonald's we almost never eat there our kids like Wendy's far more and get the $4 and $5 bags

All that said we don't go out much, all of our kids play sports so we spend a lot of time to and from school, home, and games. We just aren't big on out to eat. However my wife is a really good cook and our kids love her cooking more then most places we go out to eat at.

But I know all that depends on where one lives. We aren't poor, but we do watch out money because we like to save. After all you only have to make as much money as you spend. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
But enough of that.
We love the look of the ponds and waterfalls and have read/heard that a pond could be cheaper to maintain than a pool. However Im starting to wonder if we miss read some information, unless they were talking about ponds that don't have waterfalls and jets. Which would make me think more of a mud hole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s way easier than maintaining a pool because youre not trying to achieve the level of sanitation and cleanliness that you would with a pool.

And a pond—even a big one with waterfalls—can be very cheap to operate when designed properly. But what you’re envisioning requires lifting a lot of water a long way. That’s more expensive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So if the intake bay/bog (the top of the pond) and the negative edge (the bottom of the pond) were only say 3 or 4 feet different in height. It would make a BIG difference on the pumps, even if the pond was the same size ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So if the intake bay/bog (the top of the pond) and the negative edge (the bottom of the pond) were only say 3 or 4 feet different in height. It would make a BIG difference on the pumps, even if the pond was the same size ?

The amount it will cost to create the waterfall you want has nothing to do with the size of the pond. It's all about how tall the falls are, how wide the spillways are, and how much water you want going over those spillways to look the way you want them to look.

You could build air lift pumps that turn over 40,000 GPH for the a couple dollars/month. But you'll get no waterfall. Or you can pump 20,000 GPH to 8' high and 100' away and have a thunderous waterfall that costs a small fortune to run.

All that said, 3-4' is probably not going to break the bank in terms of what it will cost to create what you want. Especially at $0.075/kwh. That has to be one of the cheapest electric rates in the country. Even less than I pay out here in the PNW with all our hydro.

If you really want to know what it will cost, though, post a pump or two here that you're thinking about buying. We can look at the curve and tell you with a lot of accuracy how much it will cost you to use it on your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok well I have a mostly flat backyard that does slop off a bit to the west.
There for I was looking at digging out the pond and placing all the dirt on the east side.
Which is where I would place the bog.
Then on the west side have a small stream or falls that drops off in to a negative edge

So Bog - 3 foot Waterfall - Pond - Stream/Small falls - Small pool - Negative Edge

There for I guess the life would be out of the storage area below the negative Edge and up across to the Bog which would be 3 to 4 feet above the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ultimate design imo at least here in New England is bog to the west stream starts at the west has the wind pushing in the same direction toward the negative edge . But my pond is exactly the reverses after it grew then grew again and grew again and any original design was long gone.
The jets push to the west but the garage and trees and I'm ina valley stops any strong westerly winds

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes since the wind is out of the south west here
However the yard has a slight slope off to the west. Plus there is a 20" tile underground on that side of the yard that I thought would be nice to hook into for overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the layout that Im thinking of going with and adding a bridge over the stream to get to the out building

Pond layout.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks very nice. Going to be a life changer.

The only comment I'd have is on the stream. Keep in mind that is a prime hunting ground for heron and other predetors. A narrow, shallow , long stream is a possible death trap for your fish. High sides, a wider stream and deep waters can help but those birds are smart and patient.

Ask a Question