What size pump? or pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would anyone have an idea of what size and type of pumps would be needed for a pond project like this one here ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If they are pumping 100' from the bottom all the way to the top, they are running multiple pumps the one for the upper waterfall is BIG, at least 5-600+ gpm. Piped w/ 4" or better. At least 1 or 2 pumps for the pond it self maybe 1-200 gpm. I know of pumps that can do the whole job but they are very expensive to purchase and run, they run on 480 volts or more. I can't see that happening there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my guess is around 18000 gph its considerably more than my 12000. i maybe mistaken but i thought they said they used dual 5 to 9000 pumps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
1686413647545.png
1686413647545.pngthis one is 19020 gph 3hp 230 3 phase. close to 2g's

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need to know how much this will be per month to see if its something that I want to be paying out every month to have.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just watched the video again and he said it had two external pumps and that pond was self sustaining 4000 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Listen again there's no way those falls are only 4k.

I'm in CT with a 12 k external a dozen led lights and off and on air pump it's runninge 200 a month easy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you get above 10 k it's often better to spit the use to two pumps that way if one dies your not up the creek without a paddle.

not to mention the smaller pumps use less energy. One 6 k pumps will use less than half what a 12 k will

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The size of the pump(s) don’t dictate how much water comes over your waterfall. You have to account for head loss as well. Which can be significant if you’re pumping a long distance and/or to great height.

I’d also guess that there’s about 10-12,000 GPH going over those falls plus whatever they’re doing for other circulation. At least 1,000 GPH per jet. Let’s say 4, so another 4k for a total of 16,000 GPH.

Couldn’t tell you what size pump they’re running since that all depends on head pressure, but you usually shoot for the middle of a pump’s curve for best efficiency.

So 16k GPH out the pipes and in the middle of the curve would put you at around 25-35k GPH pumps. Let’s say 30k, so 2 pumps each rated for 15k.

Go look at the energy performance charts on various 12-15k GPH pumps. The very best are probably going to use 5-800 watts continuous, but they can only do very low-head applications.

So plan for more. You can convert watts to kilowatt hours and multiply by 24 to see how many kWh you’ll use in a day. Multiply by 2 since you have 2 pumps. Multiply by 30 for kWh per month and multiply that by the price you pay per kWh for electricity.

There’s your monthly cost. Probably a lot!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The size of the pump(s) don’t dictate how much water comes over your waterfall. You have to account for head loss as well. Which can be significant if you’re pumping a long distance and/or to great height.

I’d also guess that there’s about 10-12,000 GPH going over those falls plus whatever they’re doing for other circulation. At least 1,000 GPH per jet. Let’s say 4, so another 4k for a total of 16,000 GPH.

Couldn’t tell you what size pump they’re running since that all depends on head pressure, but you usually shoot for the middle of a pump’s curve for best efficiency.

So 16k GPH out the pipes and in the middle of the curve would put you at around 25-35k GPH pumps. Let’s say 30k, so 2 pumps each rated for 15k.

Go look at the energy performance charts on various 12-15k GPH pumps. The very best are probably going to use 5-800 watts continuous, but they can only do very low-head applications.

So plan for more. You can convert watts to kilowatt hours and multiply by 24 to see how many kWh you’ll use in a day. Multiply by 2 since you have 2 pumps. Multiply by 30 for kWh per month and multiply that by the price you pay per kWh for electricity.

There’s your monthly cost. Probably a lot!
Would it be better to run four 6k pumps then ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe? What does better mean to you? From an electric cost standpoint, it probably won’t make a lot of difference unless you’re working with a really high static head.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ONCE i finaly finish tinkering with the pond, mainly the landscape around the pond. The 200 bucks a month it costs me to run the pumps is a night out once or twice a month that we no longer do because of the home cation.

Ask a Question