What to do with all these babies??

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by WhiteNoise, Jul 20, 2017.

1. WhiteNoise

Tula

I think you can give them away now, mine that were born this summer, swim and eat with my adults. A good rule of thumb is around 500 gallons per koi. You can't get by with less, but make sure you have good filtration.

I guess I'm going to have to post my koi babies on Craigs List this year.

Tula, Sep 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. WhiteNoise

Tula

Ugh....no interest on CL...little wonder...there is someone selling beautiful butterfly koi almost a foot long for one dollar!

I finally was able to introduce myself to the man in our subdivision that has a large koi pond. He took hubby and me around back to see it. Although it's a large pond, he's not interested in more, as he's very over stocked. I noticed a small dead koi, floating around :(

I called my other neighbor to revisit what happened to his pond, causing the fish kill earlier this summer. Turns out he still has about 14 smaller koi and thinks his pond turned over, but he doesn't want any more fish.

I called the man who built our pond. He doesn't know of anyone who can take them and said he has one customer with over 200 koi to re-hom - yikes!

I'm going ahead with the great koi round up this week end and hope I'll get a response from CL.....if not, I'm looking at humane culling :(

I wish they'd invent fish birth control! Next season, I'm making DIY spawning mats, in hopes of removing many more eggs from the pond. If that doesn't work well, the following year, I'm going to have to go to a single sexed pond.

Tula, Sep 20, 2017
    cas likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. WhiteNoise

cas

@Tula , the pet supplies plus store by me has a bulletin board that you can post adds - maybe post the baby koi there. Also, have you checked with a local pond store? They might take them off your hands.

cas, Sep 20, 2017
  4. WhiteNoise

Tula

I will check with PetsMart and Petco, to see if they'll allow me to post something. Before Complete Pet Mart was bought out by Petco, they took some fish once, but the following year they said their policy had changed.

We also used to have a local, family owned chain of pet supplies that took mine one year, which was fantastic, as they had an indoor pond!! Well, they were bought out and they removed the indoor pond and built an indoor dog bathing station.

We have a local fish hatchery, which is where I bought 3 of my 4 koi. They will not accept fish either, but do have their own mud ponds were they raise and grow out, koi.

Tis a vexing problem. Hubby is wondering if we could remove the koi next year, to spawn in a live stock tank, but I fear that will be very stressful to them and they could be injured, as they've grown so large.

Tula, Sep 21, 2017
    cas likes this.
  5. WhiteNoise

Tula

OMG, I'm sooooooooo HAPPY ! Hubby had an appt. this morning and while in the waiting room he said " What about that nursery we like across town, that has that huge outdoor pond ? "

I called them immediately and spoke with the owner who said " Sure throw em in the pond !" :)

It's a very large, outdoor pond that originally caught my eye, as it's filled with gorgeous lotus during the summer. I realize there are predator threats, but at least they have a good chance, in a beautiful pond!!!

Tula, Sep 21, 2017
    bettasngoldfish and cas like this.
  6. WhiteNoise

Sushi Prohibited

I worry about Craigslist. I don't want strangers to come over and see my pond and adult fish.

The babies (20-30) are only 1 - 2 inches. How long can I keep them before the pond gets overcrowded? (I have a 4,500 gallon pond with 7 adults).

Thanks.

Sushi Prohibited, Sep 22, 2017
  7. WhiteNoise

Tula

Finished the koi round up ....27 babies ! Started at 8 am and finished at 11:45.....will take awhile for pond to refill. We thought we were finished and started refilling, when we spotted two very dark babies, so had to repp some water out - ugh !

90 degree day, wore swim suit under my waders and still soaked in sweat! Have the babies in a tub with airstones and one jumped out, so fetched it back and put a lid on, with airstones going.

@Sushi Prohibited I like to remove my babies before winter , just my preference. Others wait till Spring, letting them grow more. It really helps to have a second person to help out, when you do it.

Tula, Sep 22, 2017
  8. WhiteNoise

Sushi Prohibited

Congrats Tula.

How long can I keep the babies before I risk the health of the adult fish?

I have a 4,500 gallon pond with 7 18" adults and 20 1-2 inch babies.

Thanks.

Sushi Prohibited, Sep 24, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  9. WhiteNoise

Tula

I think you're fine to leave them in the pond for now, as they're probably not adding much load to your filters, at their small size.

I like to remove mine annually, because the population will just keep increasing.

Tula, Sep 25, 2017
  10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

This season I have around 80+ babies. I plan to let them get to around 6 inches before I start giving them away or selling some. In a pond that is 4500 gallons I would think you can keep a handful without issue. Maybe pick a few that are the prettiest and give away the rest.

WhiteNoise, Sep 26, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Here is a short video of some of my babies while feeding. I usually break up the food when feeding to make the food smaller but while filming I couldn't. They still gobble it all up in time.

WhiteNoise, Oct 7, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  12. WhiteNoise

Tula

I like to look for the dark ones, as you don't notice them at first glance......they sure are fast!!

Tula, Oct 7, 2017
    WhiteNoise likes this.
  13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

They are sneaky little guys. Half the time I don't notice them until they are right in front of me. More so when the sun light is not hitting the pond.

WhiteNoise, Oct 8, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  14. WhiteNoise

Faebinder

The longer I have been as a pond keeper, the more inclined I am to cull when I see new fish. If this was my pond, I would lower the water, take your favorite fish out..... then start using a net to get the rest and euthanize them before burial. I have had no success with craiglist in my area. May be your area is more populated.

Faebinder, Oct 8, 2017
  15. WhiteNoise

Tula

I understand your perspective. I was afraid that is precisely what I'd have to do this year, but fortunately found a nursery that let me put them in their outdoor pond. I think it's a tough reality of ponding.

Tula, Oct 8, 2017
  16. WhiteNoise

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I just don't feed them during spawning, which is almost all summer. This is year 7 so far no where close to being overpopulated. They munch down the eggs that are laid. And the other pond critters snack on the fish, eggs, fry.

I only restrict heron access.

addy1, Oct 9, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  17. WhiteNoise

Tula

I don't feed mine when they spawn either, which is usually once per season. I think some eggs land in my lily pots, covered with deer fencing to keep koi from destroying them and hence some hatch and thrive.

I'm going to try DIY spawning mats next year, in hope I can physically remove more eggs from the pond.

Tula, Oct 9, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  18. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

I live in the city so I expect finding people to take free koi wouldn't be too hard but I recently talked to my local pet store and they will take any I want to give away. I think next spring I will cull though as this is too much.

WhiteNoise, Oct 10, 2017
  19. WhiteNoise

JamieB

I’d love to find some koi in my area. I’m in north Oklahoma, if y’all want to unload some next year, send them here! I’ve been online looking for butterfly koi, can’t find any breeders in my area, and my pool just has goldfish for now. I’ve got one of those big above ground pools, all on well water. And I just let my fish do their thing. I’d love to add different levels, more plants, some pretty fish. I got into these fish on accident, they were supposed to be feeders for my turtle, who didn’t eat them. So I put them into the unused pool to control the misquito population. It’s working. But then I wanted to make it prettier, and now I want bigger fish I can see better. So... yep I’ve got a new hobby! And the pool is now a pond.

JamieB, Nov 28, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  20. WhiteNoise

sissy sissy

I gave a lot of mine away but still have a lot of mutts with the long tails and fins .Will wait now to post or give them to the garden center to sell in trade for things I want

sissy, Nov 28, 2017
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question